Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Re: Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Post by ghype »

sounds exciting
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: February 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm im scheduled to go to a recording studio somewhere between march 15-20 with some friends who will also help in voicing the remaining lines for AOI
Awesome! Wow this is getting really professional 8)
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

max_torch wrote: February 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm im scheduled to go to a recording studio somewhere between march 15-20 with some friends who will also help in voicing the remaining lines for AOI
Nice one mate! Good luck!
Its such a great feeling getting into the studio! Have some other lines ready just in case you have some left over time.
I took the opportunity to record generic lines and released them on freesound.

Glad that this project is still very much alive.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

theuncertainman wrote: March 1st, 2019, 8:31 pm
Nice one mate! Good luck!
Its such a great feeling getting into the studio! Have some other lines ready just in case you have some left over time.
I took the opportunity to record generic lines and released them on freesound.

Glad that this project is still very much alive.
Sorry to dash some hopes but I wasn't able to do any recording. My sister got hospitalized, digestive complications involving amoeba but shes already recovering, right when I came to visit her. The recording studio's owner wasn't around when I went to check it and I couldn't even look inside to see the equipment.

I also don't have a studio recording microphone and I don't see any other reason I would have to shell out money to buy a good microphone other than to do voice recording for wesnoth. Also, the nearest recording studio is quite far. I have to admit that I have difficulty finding a way to record voices that would be of sufficient quality due to equipment constraint and I relinquish any voice role that I reserved for me or my family and friends.
Those roles are:
English Narrator, Advisor Male, Advisor Female, Lomarfel, Gharlsa, Troll, Linaera, and Rualsha.
You can also see the overall status in the first post of the thread which I edited.

I would like to still be involved. What I can do is assist in managing voiceover projects, preparing the lines of dialog, and maybe a little sound editing and sound quality reviewing using Audacity.

Also, would it make any sense and be desired if I made a Trello board in order to help manage and visualize an overall "Add voice to all dialog in mainline campaigns megaproject"?
I can also start preparing the dialog script and roles for the revised DiD
ghype

Post by ghype »

It's a pity, I have all needed to do proper recordings but no one here that speaks proper english.

I don't consider myself speaking english properly, but i was also told i am speaking surprisingly with little accent, so i could give it a "try" ...
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

ghype wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:41 am It's a pity, I have all needed to do proper recordings but no one here that speaks proper english.

I don't consider myself speaking english properly, but i was also told i am speaking surprisingly with little accent, so i could give it a "try" ...
no harm in trying.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:48 am Sorry to dash some hopes but I wasn't able to do any recording
That is fine max_torch, we don't want to put any pressure on anyone to do this project and I respect your RL commitments.
ghype wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:41 am It's a pity, I have all needed to do proper recordings but no one here that speaks proper english.

If you would be interested any voice is better than none! :D
ghype

Post by ghype »

This is a test a sample of my voice.
It was purely made to demonstrate it’s sound qualities.

I did this real quick and didn't even set up my recording rig. Not post-processed. Nothing.
Guess I just never really tried to impersonate fantasy roles. Who would this kinda voice fid for?
Attachments
Test Sample.wav.zip
(901.25 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I think that's ok glyphe. Based on "papers" I'm considered as a english "native speaker", but I still have an accent. So I think a decent accent is ok.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 8:02 am This is a test a sample of my voice.
It was purely made to demonstrate it’s sound qualities.

I did this real quick and didn't even set up my recording rig. Not post-processed. Nothing.
Guess I just never really tried to impersonate fantasy roles. Who would this kinda voice fit for?
Sounds great! Certainly better than I could do ^_^ Having an accent really isn't an issue for this project.

As for a fantasy voice I think that unless you are voice a lich or something no special role need be taken. I would say your voice would work for any of the characters (maybe not the female ones though ;) ).
ghype

Post by ghype »

Ah no, i have not bein voice acting yet. this is literally just a voice sample. if you give me a role i can act it out. i just wouldn't know where to start
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm Ah no, i have not bein voice acting yet. this is literally just a voice sample. if you give me a role i can act it out. i just wouldn't know where to start
Would you be interested in voice acting Lormarfel?

Spoiler:
ghype

Post by ghype »

oh yes this doesn't seem much.

what should this mean: "The Ka’lian" ?

also, do you think i should at least play those parts so i know what kind of mood is in that section?
how do you guys do it?
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

ghype wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 7:37 am oh yes this doesn't seem much.

what should this mean: "The Ka’lian" ?

also, do you think i should at least play those parts so i know what kind of mood is in that section?
how do you guys do it?
It's showing Ka’lian but it's actually supposed to be Ka'lian. The reason the " ' " was copied as " ’ " is because that's how the characterlooks like when you copy the text from the scenario cfg file. There are other characters that are miscopied this way. I don't know the specific reason why but some people in the forum might.

Ka'lian is a proper name. It's a council of Elvish leaders based in the forest of Wesmere, and is featured in the campaign Legend of Wesmere. The pronunciation is open to interpretation.

To know the mood of how the voice should be acted, i watch saved replays of the scenario and I read all the dialog so that I know the full context of the lines.