Expanding UMC Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: Expanding UMC Music

Post by fabi »

Pentarctagon wrote:Thanks, that found two other errors that I had missed :)
Fine, you are welcome.
Also, one thing I've been meaning to ask for a while, would it be possible to have it not auto-scroll back to the top of the list of music after selecting a track? Selecting multiple tracks can get really annoying, especially in my case where I have 210 songs installed plus mainline.
Sure it is possible.
But not too easy.

The playlist is just a simple menu,
one whose items just call for opening the menu again after executing the rest of the playlist manipulation code.

Since there was no need for scrolled down to a certain point menus, they do not support it.
Maybe 1.12.1 will have a nicer solution.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

fabi wrote:
Also given the response when I last changed the name of something, I just put the [binary_path] inside the #ifdef.
Okay, I don't agree that backwards compatibility has to be maintained at all costs, but that only said as a side note.
The referenced post of mine was written because of an accidental change happening for no reason. If there is a good reason to change the names of the music files, for instance, because that's the only way the new editor features can be used in a sensible manner, I would go for it anyway.
It's safe to assume most add-ons haven't been updated for 1.12 yet. (I probably wouldn't do it in the middle of a stable series I mean, but UMC authors need to update their add-onds around the start of a new stable series anyway.)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Ah, my bad, based on what you wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:In my case it would have been somewhat easier if you hadn't renamed the first book (the music is apparently the same).
I had thought in that post you were talking about the renaming of the add-on, not the accidental change to one of the songs.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
egallager

Post by egallager »

So, just a heads up, but I spent some time archiving threads linked to from this thread in the Wayback Machine today, and it turns out that some of the links in the original post that are marked as dead aren't actually dead if you include Wayback Machine copies: http://web.archive.org/web/20230124020153/https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37141
(Most of them still are actually dead, though)
Anyways, after doing this crawl, I've now ended up with a bunch more Wesnoth UMC music in my music library, as shown by the attached screenshot:
Wesnoth UMC music downloaded recently
Wesnoth UMC music downloaded recently
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

After egallager's request for the original mp3 of Lonely Snowfall, I decided to dig into my backups a bit more.
In older revisions of the "Available Music" wiki page (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/index.php?titl ... ldid=65727) there were a few tracks that are missing from the UMC Music packs. I don't know if they were discarded for some reason or were just lost in the mists of time, but I had archived them.
Here we go: You know the rules, and so do I: archive first, ask questions later :-P
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Oh, nice. I'll have to go through these and add any that were missing previously.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:28 am
After egallager's request for the original mp3 of Lonely Snowfall, I decided to dig into my backups a bit more.
In older revisions of the "Available Music" wiki page (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/index.php?titl ... ldid=65727) there were a few tracks that are missing from the UMC Music packs. I don't know if they were discarded for some reason or were just lost in the mists of time, but I had archived them.
Here we go: You know the rules, and so do I: archive first, ask questions later :-P
Flight of the Drakes is in UMC Book 10, and Maabad16 is in UMC Book 05. DruhaPiesenPreKatarinu and sinf1_up2 are not, though.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Well, at least two of the tracks were actually missing :)
Speaking of missing tracks, I've seen from the old wiki page that Tlogmer made two more music tracks (viewtopic.php?t=18364). These were the original URLs, which of course don't work:
  • benyates.info/high seas for wesnoth.mp3
  • benyates.info/forgottenwoods.mp3
They doesn't seem to be in any UMC Music Pack either, so does anyone have them? There's no way to contact him: a search for his name and location shows that he died in 2012 :cry:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

FWIW I still have the AfterEI music (it should also still be available via 1.14 UMC).
I listened to a ton of music and picked the stuff I liked best (sources were other UMC and add-on music packs so presumably all OK copyright-wise).
Most of these should still be around but I'm posting a listing of the contents of the two folders (AfterEIMusic1 & AfterEIMusic2) here in case there's anything missing elsewhere.

AfterEIMusic1

2,568,798 ambuscade.ogg
4,789,778 Anonymity.ogg
7,720,856 battlecry.ogg
1,528,790 Before_the_Battle.ogg
3,424,077 breaking_the_siege_edit.ogg
1,587,489 calm-before-storm.ogg
2,801,730 Desert_Chase.ogg
3,050,096 Emotion.ogg
3,530,972 exploration.ogg
3,561,917 figght_amp.ogg
5,710,531 Flight_of_the_Drakes.ogg
3,721,855 Floating_Paper_Bags.ogg
1,462,152 FollowingYourStar.ogg
2,743,393 fragments_of_time_cut.ogg
7,248,285 heroism.ogg
2,596,104 Imminent_Threat.ogg
3,127,140 in_the_land_of_madness.ogg

61,173,963 bytes

AfterEIMusic2\music

3,174,724 land_of_adventure.ogg
5,219,706 light.ogg
3,143,546 LunarCage.ogg
14,489,435 maabad16.ogg
1,551,723 March_of_the_divine.ogg
1,549,542 moleman.ogg
3,132,853 night_hunter_edit.ogg
833,537 no_way_out.ogg
2,502,482 onethousandsuns.ogg
1,677,279 overland_1.ogg
1,339,411 overland_2.ogg
1,660,970 ThoseofUsWhoFight.ogg
2,898,598 through_the_gates.ogg
1,809,353 TravelstotheEast.ogg
1,270,419 Trite_And_Wrong.ogg
2,659,942 wesnoth_song1.ogg
2,751,358 zhaytee_newtruths.ogg

51,664,878 bytes

And yes, the campaign does indeed use all these additional tracks :shock:

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
egallager

Post by egallager »

@Pentarctagon: If you're the one currently maintaining the UMC Music Books, I'm wondering if you could put them in version control if you haven't already? It'd make it easier to track their history. Also, copying the header comment in each _main.cfg into a README.md file would make archiving them easier, since the URLs would get linkified.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

egallager wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:08 pm @Pentarctagon: If you're the one currently maintaining the UMC Music Books, I'm wondering if you could put them in version control if you haven't already? It'd make it easier to track their history.
I'm not so sure that it might be a good idea. GitHub is mainly designed for code, not for media: having add-ons composed exclusively by audio files might attract bogus copyright strikes... But that's just my opinion.
Besides, music files don't get updated often, if at all, so in this case it'd be better to make a LibreOffice Calc file which lists all the tracks, their file names, sizes, add-on, maybe MD5 hash, and which would of course allow easily searching them.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Spannerbag wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:40 pm FWIW I still have the AfterEI music (it should also still be available via 1.14 UMC).
I listened to a ton of music and picked the stuff I liked best (sources were other UMC and add-on music packs so presumably all OK copyright-wise).
Most of these should still be around but I'm posting a listing of the contents of the two folders (AfterEIMusic1 & AfterEIMusic2) here in case there's anything missing elsewhere.

AfterEIMusic1

2,568,798 ambuscade.ogg
4,789,778 Anonymity.ogg
7,720,856 battlecry.ogg
1,528,790 Before_the_Battle.ogg
3,424,077 breaking_the_siege_edit.ogg
1,587,489 calm-before-storm.ogg
2,801,730 Desert_Chase.ogg
3,050,096 Emotion.ogg
3,530,972 exploration.ogg
3,561,917 figght_amp.ogg
5,710,531 Flight_of_the_Drakes.ogg
3,721,855 Floating_Paper_Bags.ogg
1,462,152 FollowingYourStar.ogg
2,743,393 fragments_of_time_cut.ogg
7,248,285 heroism.ogg
2,596,104 Imminent_Threat.ogg
3,127,140 in_the_land_of_madness.ogg

61,173,963 bytes

AfterEIMusic2\music

3,174,724 land_of_adventure.ogg
5,219,706 light.ogg
3,143,546 LunarCage.ogg
14,489,435 maabad16.ogg
1,551,723 March_of_the_divine.ogg
1,549,542 moleman.ogg
3,132,853 night_hunter_edit.ogg
833,537 no_way_out.ogg
2,502,482 onethousandsuns.ogg
1,677,279 overland_1.ogg
1,339,411 overland_2.ogg
1,660,970 ThoseofUsWhoFight.ogg
2,898,598 through_the_gates.ogg
1,809,353 TravelstotheEast.ogg
1,270,419 Trite_And_Wrong.ogg
2,659,942 wesnoth_song1.ogg
2,751,358 zhaytee_newtruths.ogg

51,664,878 bytes

And yes, the campaign does indeed use all these additional tracks :shock:

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Of those, these are the ones not included in any of the UMC Music Book add-ons:
  • Anonymity
  • breaking_the_siege_edit
  • Emotion
  • figght_amp
  • Floating_Paper_Bags
  • FollowingYourStar
  • heroism
  • Imminent_Threat
  • night_hunter_edit
  • no_way_out
  • onethousandsuns
  • ThoseofUsWhoFight
  • TravelstotheEast
I would want to know where they came from before adding them though - all the other music that's part of these add-ons provides the author's username and a link back to the forum thread where it was found.
egallager wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:08 pm @Pentarctagon: If you're the one currently maintaining the UMC Music Books, I'm wondering if you could put them in version control if you haven't already? It'd make it easier to track their history. Also, copying the header comment in each _main.cfg into a README.md file would make archiving them easier, since the URLs would get linkified.
There really isn't any history - these aren't tracks that are still having edits made to them.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Pentarctagon wrote: January 26th, 2023, 9:34 pm
Spannerbag wrote: January 26th, 2023, 12:40 pm ... I'm posting a listing of the contents of the two folders (AfterEIMusic1 & AfterEIMusic2) here in case there's anything missing elsewhere...
Of those, these are the ones not included in any of the UMC Music Book add-ons:
  • Anonymity
  • Emotion
  • figght_amp
  • Floating_Paper_Bags
  • FollowingYourStar
  • heroism
  • Imminent_Threat
  • night_hunter_edit
  • no_way_out
  • onethousandsuns
  • ThoseofUsWhoFight
  • TravelstotheEast
I would want to know where they came from before adding them though - all the other music that's part of these add-ons provides the author's username and a link back to the forum thread where it was found.
Hmm, don't think I have the source material any more...
Off the top of my head I do recall that several tracks; Emotion, Floating_Paper_Bags, Imminent_Threat and/or night_hunter_edit came from UMC Kill the King created by Dugi. I'll have to dig through older Wesnoth UMCs (if they are still available) and see if anything prompts a memory - unless anyone has a better idea?

Also can someone please remind me how to access older UMCs (i.e. UMCs associated/released with earlier versions of Wesnoth) as I've forgotten :oops:

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can check on https://addons.wesnoth.org/.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Pentarctagon wrote: January 26th, 2023, 9:34 pm Of those, these are the ones not included in any of the UMC Music Book add-ons:
  • Anonymity
  • Emotion
  • figght_amp
  • Floating_Paper_Bags
  • FollowingYourStar
  • heroism
  • Imminent_Threat
  • night_hunter_edit
  • no_way_out
  • onethousandsuns
  • ThoseofUsWhoFight
  • TravelstotheEast
  • Anonymity, Emotion, Floating_Paper_bags, and Imminent_Threat are from "Kill the King" by Dugi
  • breaking_the_siege_edit is from Alariels_Journey_Music by FaeLord (ported as part of the vghetto port project)
  • figght_amp is from TAS_Music, which is music for "The Amaranthine Stone", both by FaeLord (ported as part of the vghetto port project)
  • FollowingYourStar, ThoseofUsWhoFight, and TravelstotheEast are from the EpicMusic add-on (in which Heindal packages music by HalcyonicFalconX aka Phyrnna from the Open Bundle)
  • heroism looks like it's from both Alariels_Journey_Music and TAS_Music
  • night_hunter_edit is from both Alariels_Journey_Music and A_Whim_of_Fate (and then it looks like there's also an "_m" version in Mountain_Witch)
  • no_way_out is from FlightToFreedom by MadMax
  • onethousandsuns is from the Akladian_Music dependency for A_New_Order; music/readme.txt in Akladian_Music lists the author of onethousandsuns as Tyler Johnson