Tips for composition with abc2midi and timidity

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rjaguar3

Tips for composition with abc2midi and timidity

Post by rjaguar3 »

Hello,

I have been interested in writing music. However, I feel most comfortable writing out the score in abc notation and then using abc2midi and timidity to generate ogg files. I understand that Wesnoth wants something more polished than what is automatically generated from this procedure, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to get good ogg files from a method of writing the score first and then generating the appropriate music.
lipk

Re: Tips for composition with abc2midi and timidity

Post by lipk »

If you ever get an answer, please let me know... I've been trying to make some decent music this way, but score editors apparently just can't generate good quality midis.
perseo

Post by perseo »

The main problem you'll have to deal with is that Beethoven could write orchestal music that sound great but the rest of us aren't able to do that. What do I mean? In order to have a whole music piece that sounds filling, I mean, strong, dark, whatever you name it (english is not my mother tongue, sorry) you have to work with 30 violins (i.e. 3 different voices), 16 violas(i.e. a couple or more voices...), 5 clarinets, 4 horns... and a long etc... MIDI programmes doesn't fit well with this number of voices and also if you don't want to spend 5 months for a 15 minute piece you cannot write all the voices you need and have a nice result. That's why there are programmes which have predefined rhythms and chords and you can make your music thanks to that without spending months of your life.
After all this nice stuff I gonna explain you a trick I discovered for making reasonably good .ogg files with midi makers as can be musescore.
First of all you have to make the different voices scores in different MIDI files and export each file to an audio format as can be .ogg.
Then you use a programme called Audacity and you put together all this .ogg files and then you play with the different levels in order to make a more or less good result.
BTW There are webpages with audio libraries for MIDI programmes which usually sound better than the default ones.
I cannot give you any examples coz I'm not a composer, only a musician and I don't think I'll be able to write orchestal scores when I have to spend hours and hours in order to arrange a score for a wood wind quartet.
If you don't understand something because of the way I speak english or any other reason please ask me.
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Dugucloud

Post by Dugucloud »

I think if you want the best experience, you need a composing software with VST support. If you have enough money, buy one and install some VST plugins. These kinds of software can save your project as .wav files. But you can use Audacity to generate a .ogg copy.
Mi povas paroli Esperanton.