MP3? Or Just OGG

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aaronfeld

MP3? Or Just OGG

Post by aaronfeld »

Quick question, can Wesnoth read more then just OGG? If so is that something that could be changed?

Thanks
CobraPL

Re: MP3? Or Just OGG

Post by CobraPL »

I cannot speak for developers, but I think that technically it can be done.

But It will never be. One of reasons is that mp3 is patented and it's not free. That's why LAME encoder is advertised as... scientific project. Also, Vorbis is simply better format. It has worse hardware (players) support. Besides that it is better than mp3 in any field.
Last edited by CobraPL on August 22nd, 2010, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

Okay, I do see what you mean by the money but I was thinking like I like putting random music in my game so more of a personal thing. Also I was just picking a random file type it could be anything really like WAV MP4 I think that's what it's called. Anything really
CobraPL

Post by CobraPL »

Well, Wesnoth is open-source and cross-platform project and will (IMO) support only open-source and cross-platform formats.

mp4 is a container for AAC and AACplus. There is no good (open source) mp4-aac implemetation for all platforms BfS supprorts. So it is unlikely to see any mp4 support in Wesnoth.

I agree, that there should be option to add own music. Your can just play your current one with any media player, during game. Also you can convert your music to Ogg Vorbis w/o clear quality loss.
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

I convert it cuz it messes with my comp to play wesnoth and a media player at the same time. I also use a online so it's just anoying to keep doing it and it's not that fast soo.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

CobraPL wrote:I agree, that there should be option to add own music. Your can just play your current one with any media player, during game. Also you can convert your music to Ogg Vorbis w/o clear quality loss.
I don't think there should be an option for this, for the two reasons you mentioned. It's easy enough to turn the music off in preferences and have your own playing in the background. And it's also not too hard to convert your music and add it into the game.
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

Well no it's not too hard to do it but it just take time. I normaly do it in bullk so online is not the best way. If you could just drag your music into the folder would save a lot of time. Thats all i'm really saying. Big time saver.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Saves time for you, not for the dev who get to script that instead of developping something that would really be useful. :?

Optionally, jsut get a decent converter instead of doing it online, it must eat away a lot of bandwidth, no?

Anyway, you couldn't just "drop them in the folder" even if it accepted mp3, because individual scenarios have their own defined playlists. You'd still have to go modify the macros to include/replace by your picks, and verify that all scenarios don't use costum play list...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth supports whatever your SDL_Mixer build supports.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
aaronfeld

Post by aaronfeld »

Dixie wrote:Saves time for you, not for the dev who get to script that instead of developping something that would really be useful. :?

Optionally, jsut get a decent converter instead of doing it online, it must eat away a lot of bandwidth, no?
True, true but I'm sure it would be used by more people then just me. Question, how do user made maps get their music cuz I don't always put music to them.
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm pretty sure it just automatically uses the default playlist...? :hmm:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. For exemple, if you don't define the schedule (time), it just won't have any time. believe the same must happen with music.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Captain_Wrathbow

But we're talking about user-made maps. Just custom maps made in the map editor and saved, then played in MP. Even if you don't touch the file outside of the map editor, those maps will still have ToD and music when you play them. So it must automatically put that stuff in user-made maps.... right? :hmm:
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Turning off the in-game music and running a music player in the background is a perfectly common and simple solution. If your computer can't handle running a media player and Wesnoth at the same time it's either hopelessly outdated or there's something wrong with it. In either case it's up to you to solve the problem, not us.

Having a function like the one you ask for might even *encourage* people to listen to other music when playing, which would kind of negate our efforts to write enjoyable quality music for the game.
Captain_Wrathbow

West wrote:Having a function like the one you ask for might even *encourage* people to listen to other music when playing, which would kind of negate our efforts to write enjoyable quality music for the game.
I'd still listen to wesnoth's music. It beats anything else I've got on my computer any day.