Other games

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SyKnEt

Post by SyKnEt »

A good FPS will be released this week open source for free:
http://www.nexuiz.com , based on quake 1 , but heavily upgraded !
Hearold

Post by Hearold »

Go to freewebs.com/crumware for some weird games by jacksquat and his friends.[/url]
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

SyKnEt wrote:A good FPS will be released this week open source for free:
http://www.nexuiz.com , based on quake 1 , but heavily upgraded !
The screenshots look nice, but when I run the .app, Console says:
dyld: /Users/eli/Desktop/Nexuiz/Nexuiz.app/Contents/MacOS/nexuiz-sdl can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
and when I made a symlink to my SDL library, it says:
dyld: /Users/eli/Desktop/Nexuiz/Nexuiz.app/Contents/MacOS/nexuiz-sdl version mismatch for library: /usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version of user: 8.0.0 greater than library's version: 1.0.0)

(and in case you didn't infer it, it also crashes on startup.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
7a

Post by 7a »

Current version doesn't work on macos if I understood well... A new one should comme in a few days.
"What's up?"
"I don't know," said Marvin, "I've never been there."
--Douglas Adams The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

7a wrote:Current version doesn't work on macos if I understood well... A new one should comme in a few days.
Ok, sounds like a good thing. *waits a few days* dangit it still doesn't work! lol I'll stop being (r4z33 now.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

KQ is an amusing game. Supposedly its like Final Fantasy; I don't know, I've never played FF.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

I am very surprised that nobody mentioned BZFlag.
BZFlag is a free multiplayer multiplatform 3D tank battle game. The name stands for Battle Zone capture Flag.

http://bzflag.org/

Licensed under the GNU GPL.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Na'enthos wrote:VegaStrike
I am not a "thread resurrector" but I pressed the "search" button to check if someone had already written something about VegaStrike to prevent from repeating, which tends to put our brilliant moderators on nerves these times ( I can understand, as a moderator myself on another french forum )...

Er...

Yes, Vegastrike is greatly done with a wonderfull artwork. I've been playing it a lot despite of a harsh full keyboard setting knowledge required to enjoy fully the game.

I've found the Sol system which is impressive with fully detailled planets ( if you know the great free space travel simulator Celestia , it's the same quality ), and satellites. There are also space stations and the Mars Commercial Center...

But it seems today that they need a kind of "up roar" as the game hasn't grown up since Saturday, February 12, 2005...

PS : For those who already know the game, here is the path to the Sol system : From Cephid 17, the starting point.

Cephid 17 -> Stirling -> War -> Steakley -> Theta Ant -> TCSC 1613 -> Hhrass -> Ktrk_pah -> Prithivi Mata -> Rudras -> Cairo -> Ogawa -> Alpha Canis Majoris -> Sol.
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

both BZflags and Celestia are awesome programs/games. Especailly the endlessness of Celestia.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

http://www.nexuiz.com/

:shock: Whoa. That game looks amazing!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

http://www.thangorodrim.net

Nethack and Adom have both been mentioned.... But as far as I know, Angband came first... Before Angband was Moria, and before Moria was Rogue...

But Angband and it's variants are all great. Well, most of the variants are great. When I have the time, I want to make a Sci-Fi variant of Angband.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

No, I think Nethack came first(in 87). Angband was sometime around '95, IIRC.

EDIT:Some good games that I like:
Oolite, a space trading/traveling game based on Elite, an old game that was one of the first 3D games.
MAngband, a multiplayer(realtime!) Angband variant. Anyone who has played Angband will probably enjoy it.
Last edited by Anyar on February 21st, 2006, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

martenzo wrote:
turin wrote:Huh, no one's mentioned tuxracer yet?!? Its an awesome game, although it hasn't been updated since 2001.
Actually, tuxracer s not an open source or a free game. Only way to get the full version is to buy it.
I'm sorry to be late, but some details are needed here.

The first TuxRacer has become closed source, but there have been some other projects trying to make a new open source tux racer project.

IMO, the best project of that sort till now is Planet Penguin Racer.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Rune

Post by Rune »

UFO: Alien Invasion is a very good game in the style of UFO: Enemy Unknown with modern 3d graphics. A great turn-based tactical simulation.

Unfortunately it was never completed (and perhaps never will), but the latest beta version, the so-called Christmas Special, is nevertheless quite entertaining.

EDIT: It seems it has moved on to sourceforge, so maybe there is hope for progress after all :D
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Heh I remember that UFO game it looked promising but that was ages ago. Looks pretty much dead now though. :(

My additions:
Great Strategy War Game, focused on World War II but not limited to it. Free to download and play, something like 450 MB though.
http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/

Of course BattleTech aka MegaMek. Yes it's been mentioned already, but I just have to say it myself, though I won't upload screenshots. :)
Best computer version of the boardgame, requires Java.
megamek.notcows.com
megamek.net
Last edited by SmokemJags on February 22nd, 2006, 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."