I'm creating a Free Software Slay the Spire and I am looking for collaborators

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

db0

I'm creating a Free Software Slay the Spire and I am looking for collaborators

Post by db0 »

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted in these forums :)

In the past year I've been hard at work to make a spire-like card game of my own design. I have extensive experience of making card games based on trademarks owned by other people and I wished to create something that becomes popular while still being free/libre software.

The game I've been working on is called Hypnagonia and I already have a playable version which you can download or play on your browser.

While I am doing all the heavy lifting in programming and game design, I am in desperate need of all other talents, specifically writers and artists and I could honestly do with more game designers as well.

I've been asking everywhere I can think of with not much success, but maybe I should ask to more FLOSS dedicated communities.

Please do try out the game and if you like what you see and want to help me make it one of the best samples of its type, do let me know!

Cheers!
db0

Re: I'm creating a Free Software Slay the Spire and I am looking for collaborators

Post by db0 »

I've moved the game to itch.io, and I've been writing some devlogs and rapid work.
Stereo

Re: I'm creating a Free Software Slay the Spire and I am looking for collaborators

Post by Stereo »

Hello I recent have download the game, looks great in the videos; good work.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Hello again, I tried to install on my computer but couldn't, so I played the online version; the game looks great, the music are good and the gameplay for me are simple and understandable (even though I haven't played any PC card games or Slay the Spire). Good luck with the game.
db0

Post by db0 »

Hello, weird that you could not play it locally. There is no installation to speak of, just an executable. Anyway, glad you liked it. Keep checking back for updates
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

How long did it take you to create it? What languages did you use? Probably JavaScript I suppose?

On the UI, I highly recommend an additional entry or something "start game with defaults" or like that. When I clicked
on it for the first time, I got some options and the "Start Game" was greyed out. I clicked about a bit like an idiot
and could not figure out for a while how to start a new game, since I had to select other things. (Or perhaps just
a "demo" entry as one-click solution. Come to think about it, perhaps also add some other link to showcase
some screenshots. The music is nice but it distracted me; I tend to play music from youtube in the background;
I understand other users are different, so I am not really complaining about that part - the double music,
due to youtube, made me try to click through faster though because I am hearing two music streams then,
so I tend to mute the non-youtube music playthrough quickly. I am just explaining a bit my use case, perhaps
this may help improve on it in the future. In regards to collaborators, it looks quite fine; I wonder if one can
customize it, e. g. a wesnoth card game with wesnoth figures, or some custom magic cards :D - but personally
I lack time a LOT due to non-computer issues actually. Reallife is annoying, its difficult setting is too high and
time intensive ...)
selftaught1

Post by selftaught1 »

I really like Slay The Spire. I play it on Game Pass and I've been killed two times by "the collector". I also play Monster Train and heaps of strategy, simulation and indie games.

Which version of your game am I supposed to download?

Maybe I'll install firefox and try it like that. Currently I'm using Windows 10, but generally I use Linux... I'm going back to Linux once I get around to installing it on my spare harddrive.
needmoreplayers

( ill help i know nothing )

Post by needmoreplayers »

ill help i know nothing
esp not the code stuff

ill help this promotion of ur game

can help with art + music
and esp with having Good ux/ui design