Can I use wesnoth graphics on my game?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

juanfgs

Can I use wesnoth graphics on my game?

Post by juanfgs »

I'm developing a small open source platform game using Ruby and Gosu (mainly teaching myself game development :eng: ). The thing is I'm a coder and I suck at making sprites (or at least I don't have the time to make them myself). I wanted to know if it's ok to use Wesnoth assets (beyond licensing requirements, I want to know if the artists are cool with it, and the appropiate way to credit them). Also if an platform-action game based on Wesnoth lore would appeal to any of you, and you want/can contribute to it.

This is a hobby project, which turned out to be way more fun than I expected, so don't expect it to be finish anytime soon. The game features basic 2D physics using Chipmunk library. Here's a video of the latest development. The main idea is to make a coop side scroller (a la broforce) with a VS option.

Here is the game code in case anyone is interested (I'm using opengameart assets I will update the copyright notice to credit the proper authors ASAP, the thing is that I haven't fully settled with the sprites) https://github.com/juanfgs/gametest (the latest development is on the viking-brawlers branch which is definitively NOT the definitive name)

:D Thank you, and thanks for making Battle for Wesnoth (haven't played it in a while so I might start again)
The_Gnat

Re: Can I use wesnoth graphics on my game?

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi juanfgs, here is another post discussion about this http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41890 its quite complicated and long but I think since you are creating an opensource game that as long as you credit the artists you will be fine. :D asking them might be nice as well but depending on how many images you are useing it might take too long to ask everyone ;)
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

The_Gnat wrote:Hi juanfgs, here is another post discussion about this http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41890 its quite complicated and long but I think since you are creating an opensource game that as long as you credit the artists you will be fine. :D asking them might be nice as well but depending on how many images you are useing it might take too long to ask everyone ;)

Its not so simple. He's talking about making his own game using wesnoth resources. I ain't an expert but i think there are legal issues due to the license
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Not if he licenses his creation under the GPL as well. That's what the GPL is for.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I think it would be fine:
Keep in mind that some programs, particularly video games, can have artwork/audio that is licensed separately from the underlying GPLed game.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code