[DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shadow_Walker

Re: [DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Question: I'm adding sounds and music to W.Essense. Is BfW music also released under GPL, like art? Should I mention composer(s) explicitely, and if so, what's the exact reference, apart from the name which is contained in ogg files?
Last edited by Shadow_Walker on September 29th, 2014, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Shadow_Walker wrote:Question: I'm adding sounds and music to W.Essense. Is BoW music also released under GPL, like art? Should I mention composer(s) explicitely, and if so, what's the exact reference, apart from the name which is contained in ogg files?
I assume you mean BfW?

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Create_Music
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=2015
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wesnoth:Copyrights
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

First link is very useful, thank you!
"To be included in the Battle for Wesnoth, music must be released under the Gnu General Public License." - Hmm.. I've found the page of Mattias Westlund, author of many BfW music compositions, and his page says 'CC-BY' licensed, which is more appropriate for music, and is less restrictive than GPL v2. Since all tracks cound be downloaded directly from composer page, I will go with CC-BY for background music, then. I will hardly use more than 3-4 tracks, though, due to the online nature of the game.
Last edited by Shadow_Walker on September 29th, 2014, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Online version received a few bugfix patches, so it now has "-bf" prefix to v0.90a

Bug fixes:
[x] Resurrect procedure does not reduce night visibility radius anymore - was a bug, not a penalty for resurrection
[x] Quest items, characters and dragons should not overlap other quest item or player positions
[x] Autopath is cleared when crossing trapdoor/stairs
[x] Trapdoors sometimes had no matching stairs in Caves
[x] Underground monsters were allowed to spawn on stairs, which lead to game halt - not anymore
[x] Dark Elven Commander name was "Fighter"
[x] Hostage was not properly placed after release, leading to game halt

Tiny Features/enhancements:
[x] Night Vision range equals to max( 3.0, ranged attack ) + 0.5, leading to sight increase for long-ranged units, e.g. Dwarven Thunderer.
No more dark-corner sniping.
[x] Friendly and Charmed unit kills add XP to player - now it makes sense to start as Mage ( Charm, Mirror )
[x] Friendly units in a certain radius will automatically follow player to Caves and back, auto-placed somewhere near transition point
[x] Knight (the one with no ranged attacks) has 95% max armor, and increased hp gain rate = +7 hp / turn
[x] Mage has slightly increased number of starting spells
optimother

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote: Bug fixes:
[x] Trapdoors sometimes had no matching stairs in Caves
I thought it's an intentional element of risk, and kind a liked it :)
[x] Night Vision range equals to max( 3.0, ranged attack ) + 0.5, leading to sight increase for long-ranged units, e.g. Dwarven Thunderer.
No more dark-corner sniping.
This slightly overpowers already overpowered super-long-range shooters, but I think it's right thing anyway. Maybe max( 2 + player.normalized_level, range ) so that melee fighters could benefit too?
[x] Friendly and Charmed unit kills add XP to player - now it makes sense to start as Mage ( Charm, Mirror )
[x] Friendly units in a certain radius will automatically follow player to Caves and back, auto-placed somewhere near transition point
Now charming really makes sense!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Shadow_Walker wrote:First link is very useful, thank you!
"To be included in the Battle for Wesnoth, music must be released under the Gnu General Public License." - Hmm.. I've found the page of Mattias Westlund, author of many BfW music compositions, and his page says 'CC-BY' licensed, which is more appropriate for music, and is less restrictive than GPL v2. Since all tracks cound be downloaded directly from composer page, I will go with CC-BY for background music, then. I will hardly use more than 3-4 tracks, though, due to the online nature of the game.
Please, I beg of you, do not include "vengeful.ogg" as part of the music selection :augh: :whistle:
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Can't reach Mattias via web form on his site or by his gmail email.. So no music for now. Sounds and i18n (multi-language support) to be released soon.

I have finally set up a tiny web page for wessense.org, so please follow the [play ONLINE] link to get latest version.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Not sure what the trouble is. Your app is already GPL, so does it matter if the music is too?

That being said, you might also be able to contact him via PM on the forums — he goes by the name West.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

ancestral wrote:Not sure what the trouble is. Your app is already GPL, so does it matter if the music is too?
Well, I wanted to see if there is a chance to get 1-2 unique compositions specifically for W.Essense, of course.. Anyway, will get back to music when I'm done with two remaining deadlines for my daytime work projects.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

W.Essense v0.92a released
http://wessense.org/release/0.92a/

Downloads are available from indiedb, see for details:
http://www.wessense.org/

Changelog:
- plenty of bugfixes
- sounds support
- initial i18n (multi-language) support

If you want to translate W.Essense into your language, please use the following file:
http://wessense.org/release/0.92a/js/ex ... se-en.json
Please send completed translations to developer@wessense.org (don't forget to provide language name in its native form/spelling along with translation)

Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Wessense 0.93a is released.
Play it online at http://wessense.org/release/0.93a/ or download full game for Linux/Mac/Windows at http://www.indiedb.com/games/wessense/downloads/

v0.93a features the long-awaited possibility to save/load your game (okay, it is less rogue-like now, but you asked for it), and Italian translation, kindly provided by Francesco Passoni.

SAVE/LOAD - check [OPTIONS] or type Shift+S / Shift+W / Shift+Q (quicksave)

This release is the last release of W.Essense in its current form. Next release (no ETA yet) will feature fully rewritten, modular core, which will allow to make multi-Scenario Campaigns in addition to the existing single-map single-player game. Extended W.Essense might also feature map editor / scenario maker and unit editor utilities.

Last edited by Shadow_Walker on October 9th, 2014, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
optimother

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote: SAVE/LOAD - check [OPTIONS] or type Ctrl+S / Ctrl+W / Ctrl+Q (quicksave)
Ctrl+S interferes with browser's save, ctrl+w is a common shortcut to close current tab/window, cmd+q quits instantly. That's exactly what we asked for.

I was pressing ctrl/cmd+s and possible combinations to find out is working at all and ended up in constant leveling up. After some clicking around it stopped at level 131.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Oops, typo. Of course, ctrl is wrong, it is shift+S / shift+W / shift+Q, as you probably found already.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

On my eye you should works now on game ballance, i mean to not shuffle diffrent lvl enemies together but make it become stronger along with the path you have walked. To be more precisely i will show it on example, such a caves and enemies there i start moved there on 20 lvl thief i killed 2 dark elves (some warrior and one on lizard) with no any problems, that was just strike/kill, i made 3 steps on east (i had my cave exit on west of my unit) and i seen only how some one bolt is killing me :O... It was out of my range and i didnt even seen what killed me.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Cave location has eternal "night", so all undead bonuses are applied like x2 damage at night and armor piercing (armor is halved) for archers. So, that bolt was probably from lvl2 skeleton boss (crowned, +1 attack, +% dmg, x2 night dmg ). Do not walk around Caves if your hp and armor are on a low side. "Shadows" spell raises armor to 80%, and there is "Armor" aura (stackable with Shadows) - this combination works nicely for Caves. Health could be bought in shops, so if you start as Thief, it is highly recommended to spend money on HP and Armor, not attack damage.