Frogatto

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PeterPorty
Translator

Re: Frogatto

Post by PeterPorty »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Oh sweet! Dave, Jet, Neorice, and Shadowmaster are in on this? I have got to go download this... :shock:
it's the wesnoth's elite pet project.

although I don't get the point of starting all over after reaching perfection.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Hmm...looks like an interesting game...played a little, worked fine for me. I'm just really confused now where I am. :) How do you kill those annoying jumping golden....cockroaches?
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Punch them with your tongue, or spit a bug at them.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:hmm: That's a surprising crasher bug, but thanks for reporting it. We've recently done some optimizations that might be causing that. Anyone who wants to help debug that, join #frogatto on freenode.

Also, as a public-service announcement, we want people to make more games with this engine. Virtually all of the game logic is in FML+FFL, rather than C++; the engine could easily drive a top-down zelda-like game, or a streets-of-rage/battletoads-like brawler. Or could do what MUGEN does.
StandYourGround wrote:Punch them with your tongue, or spit a bug at them.
The ability of the tongue to directly do damage has been removed (we've actually gone through a surprising number of iterations on gameplay, but this is one of the final ones and we're pretty happy with it). To fight those - and they're called the "fumpers" if anyone cares, you have to spit a bug at them, or lead them into a trap - water is fatal to them.

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Oh sweet! Dave, Jet, Neorice, and Shadowmaster are in on this? I have got to go download this...
And Rain, no less. Although Rain only did a few things here, he's done some incredible asskicking over at allacrost (for all intents and purposes pretty much being their entire music dept.).
artisticdude wrote:I don't know all that much about marketing, but I would think that the 'free on PC, pay on mobile' method would work really well for sales. For example, Wesnoth has an extensive fanbase, so when it became available for the iOS platform a lot of people already knew and loved the game, hence they would be more willing to pay for something they already knew to be worth it than some game they'd never heard of before. But there are probably all sorts of factors that I haven't taken into account, so my assessment isn't really worth much.

What's your opinion of this kind of marketing, Jetrel?
Judge by my actions, you shall, young padawan. :geek:

Obviously atm, I have a good deal of faith that will work. It worked for wesnoth, and it worked for cave story, which is selling ... I think, rather well on wiiware ... actually I just checked, and:
http://www.destructoid.com/cave-story-b ... 8904.phtml

So we're hoping. It really is up to the "street team", though. The best way you can help is to post on any forums you go to, about the game. Don't be a dick about it, and spam it - but do, for example, rave about it when someone makes a thread for describing your favorite games. We're not asking for dishonesty, of course - you don't need to fap poetic if it's not the second coming for you, but just being mentioned has a surprising effect.

Also, facebook posts help too. It will help more when we have an actual iPhone page people can buy it at - that's probably an ideal time. We're going to have additional updates post-release, and the economics of the iStore mean we don't need to have a huge day-one rush, like boxed software does. In fact it's almost better to grow gradually in case there are any surprise issues that crop up.

I did make banners, though:

Be nice - if at all possible, slap these on imageshack or something instead of direct linking. Ben is paying for the bandwidth out of pocket. :cry:
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Can we get a vertical one?
I actually have a spot to put a vertical one until I talk to them about google ads[/url]
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Jetrel wrote::hmm: That's a surprising crasher bug, but thanks for reporting it. We've recently done some optimizations that might be causing that. Anyone who wants to help debug that, join #frogatto on freenode.
Well I guess I could as well go hang around there to help since I seem to be able to reproduce the bug, although I'm by no means what you'd call a "computer crack". I'll try to work out an IRC client and get on the freenode servers, we'll see how that turns out.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:annoyed:
I can't get it to run.

I downloaded the windows version, extracted the zipped folder, and tried to run Frogatto.exe. It says something along the lines of it can't run the program because the install directory is messed up, and I should reinstall the program. I redownloaded and re-extracted and re-ran three times, but same results. What am I doing wrong? :(

EDIT: Something was wrong with my zipped-folder-handling program. I used a different one to extract the files and it worked. Playing the game now! :D
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I helped them locate the error for the crashes on some mac versions. It had to do with water blending and GMA950 video cards. They should post a corrected version or something, I think, but I can't tell you much more, you should go look on the site :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote::annoyed:
I can't get it to run.

I downloaded the windows version, extracted the zipped folder, and tried to run Frogatto.exe. It says something along the lines of it can't run the program because the install directory is messed up, and I should reinstall the program. I redownloaded and re-extracted and re-ran three times, but same results. What am I doing wrong? :(

EDIT: Something was wrong with my zipped-folder-handling program. I used a different one to extract the files and it worked. Playing the game now! :D
I do know one thing for sure that your doing wrong. Your running windo- :oops: I mean, your wasting downloads. :D

dixie: Good to hear! I love frogs.

EDIT: JUst downloaded latest version. Bug is fixed.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Question:
Sometimes by accident when I walk there is a whizzing sound and he runs forward.
What is is and how to i do it?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Double tapping the arrow key makes you run.
I will now resume lurking silently.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I really love how Frogatto can stick to vertical surfaces, and how he can use that ability to ascend seemingly impossible routes. Honestly, I think that's one of the most original and fun features in the game (for me).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I've played Mario games where he does "wall kicks" and "wall jumps", which are basically the same thing. (but they weren't platformer games. Specifically, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine)

But that is probably my favorite move too.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I've downloaded the ubuntu version and played it. It's a fun game, and I like the idea of spitting bugs at other bugs. Cheers to the developers!
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.