Board Game

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Syath

Board Game

Post by Syath »

Firstly let me say, been playing Wesnoth since 0.8.11 and still loving it :D

To get to the point, I am a huge fan of monopoly and clue, and played Atlantik a few years back. However it nor gtkatlantik are updated anymore. Gtkatlantic is buggy, and atlantik is made on kdelib 3.5 (I'd prefer something made upon QT4).

I know some very basic Ruby, I can code RoR, PHP, and some Gambas.

However, I was interested to see if anyone knows of software that would make creating a network game of Monopoly or Clue easier, such as a prebuilt engine or sdk? Or at least a suggestion in which language would be best to learn (I'd like to make it cross-platform, but if it ends up being KDE4 only I won't be bothered much) to work with QT4?

Also, if anyone else is working on a similar project, I am interested in joining in.

If it matters, I run Arch.
Syath

Re: Board Game

Post by Syath »

Unfortunately no, the first while almost there, has no Linux support, and I have no Windows machines. The second is not an online-multiplayer game. The third is just the results for Atlantik, which is based on the KDE 3.5 libraries, and KDE is now on version 4, Atlantik is outdated, as are all other monopd clients.

I appreciate the help, though
bery

Post by bery »

hi!

http://www.zuntzu.com/

this is board game engine with integrated VOIP. it is quite easy to make your own game, or use your originally owned board game in it. it self it has no game logic (no AI, no defined ways how will objects move etc.). So players have to handle all the events in the game.

you can also download a lot of previosly made games for this engine.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Syath wrote:Unfortunately no, the first while almost there, has no Linux support, and I have no Windows machines.
ZunTsu FAQ wrote:Q. What are the system requirements to install and run ZunTzu?

A. ZunTzu runs only on Windows XP (sorry Mac and Linux folks). You need a 3D card that meets the requirements for DirectX 7. And of course you'll need to be connected to the Internet. A broadband connection is recommended, but ZunTzu should work with a 56K modem connection.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Syath

Post by Syath »

The options being Windows only are unfortunate.

I have, however, figured out how I will do this.

I am currently making a Clue-like game..... using Wesnoth =]

The WML is confusing at first and is getting very complicated, but it's a work in progress hopefully I'll have it done in a couple of weeks to release it :)
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Syath, although you don't have a windows machine you could always use a virtual machine. Now if only you had/know where to get a windows disk or iso?!
Continuing Siege of Soradoc