Is it competitor or not?

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nuti-naguti

Is it competitor or not?

Post by nuti-naguti »

Only russian language support, isometric and shareware...

game site - http://www.eador.com

http://www.ag.ru/files/demos/eador_sotvorenie/36134/agb - you can download shareware demo here.

http://www.igray.ru/?news=4281 - and here.
Kalajel

Re: Is it competitor or not?

Post by Kalajel »

That looks more like a HoMM clone… Yeah, I guess you could say it's a competitior in the sense that's another video game…
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Oh noes! Our Russian fanbase! What'll we ever do!! :P

Uhh a bit more seriously though, it probably depends on how you look at it... Aside from some obvious basic similarities, the two games are probably entirely different, judging by some of the details in the interface. Wesnoth doesn't have Mana :?: Points or multiple resources after all. Additionally, Wesnoth isn't really in direct competition with anything itself; it's a non-profit self-indulgence of the developers, meaning there's nothing for it to compete for really.

On the other hand the [acronym=]F.O.S.S.[/acronym] community in general is more or less in competition with pretty much anything that doesn't fit within their standard idle of software liberty. At least the [acronym=]G.N.U.[/acronym] folk are anyway. Wesnoth might kill a few sales if it comes down to people deciding between the two, if not only because Wesnoth's free and this isn't. I'm personally unlikely to buy a game, especially if I can't read it, when there's a perfectly good free alternative. However to be fair, I must say that this does look pretty cool.

Anyway, this is all just conjecture: I personally doubt there's any real rivalry between the two or that there ever will be. Then again, what do I know? The only thing I think that really matters here is Mythological. Wesnoth just wouldn't be the same without him after all. I know this from experience, as I have played during his occasional absences. Everybody really missed him during those times. So please, pretty please, don't take him away from us. Please? T_T
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
Lirion

Post by Lirion »

From the first look on the screenshots... this still suffers some ugly things necessarily to be improved. Like the fonts: The "V" letter in general on the screenshots, the word "Istselenie" on the second screenshot is difficult to read due to its color and its crumbly look. The units on the first screenshot are too large (even on low-res you should be able to get a view that's a BIT smaller) and in their largeness also quite crumbly.

What would make me try this is looking on the third screenshot and then on the first again. But what we see here, in my opinion, suffers bad graphical work (slightly kick your graphics designer, they might wake up), and then well... I can READ Russian, but I barely understand it :) even bad English might be enough for a first check.

And don't call upon a competition of free software.

Anyway... shareware demo? Too lazy now to counter-check, but if the full version costs money... optically, this is pre-alpha. Do you want people to pay for that?
And... if the gameplay is as unfinished as the GFX, that'd be another point for not paying.
I'm making ghosts out of clay // to scare my past away
I placed a blue death mask there in my book of hours // that those who dream of an earthly paradise may read it as men

-- <code>
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Lirion wrote:Anyway... shareware demo? Too lazy now to counter-check, but if the full version costs money... optically, this is pre-alpha. Do you want people to pay for that?
And... if the gameplay is as unfinished as the GFX, that'd be another point for not paying.
I'm sure some people even paid for this.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Lirion

Post by Lirion »

You can count on two things if you want to sell - people's stupidity or quality.
Both require a factor X of luck.

Anyhow, when asking a forum like this, I assume people to somehow be judged on quality...
I'm making ghosts out of clay // to scare my past away
I placed a blue death mask there in my book of hours // that those who dream of an earthly paradise may read it as men

-- <code>
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Lirion wrote:The "V" letter in general on the screenshots, the word "Istselenie" on the second screenshot is difficult to read due to its color and its crumbly look.
Yes, it hurts my eyes.
Lirion wrote:The units on the first screenshot are too large (even on low-res you should be able to get a view that's a BIT smaller)
Is the scene on the first screenshot only a part of larger scrollable map? Then smaller hexes would be an advantage, because you see more.

Or is it the whole battlefield? Then it is OK. This would probably mean that individual units are moved only during combat. That would be pretty different from Wesnoth.
nuti-naguti

Post by nuti-naguti »

Kalajel wrote:That looks more like a HoMM clone… Yeah, I guess you could say it's a competitior in the sense that's another video game…
Tonepoetl wrote:Oh noes! Our Russian fanbase! What'll we ever do!!
Yes, you are right. This game is really looks as HoMM clone) In Russia HoMM 3 was very popular game, people like all games on HoMM's theme and turn based strategy like disciples, age of wonders, master of magik, fantasy general. Thats why HoMM 5, Disciples 3, Fantasy Wars, King's Bounty: The Legend, developers - russian companies)
Unfortunatly wesnoth have the worst advertising in gamers press, than this game:(

Lirionl wrote:You can count on two things if you want to sell - people's stupidity or quality.
Lirionl wrote:slightly kick your graphics designer, they might wake up
No, i dont want sell it) I am not developer of this game, thats why i cant kick my own slave-graphics-designer)

About graphics - wesnoth have better graphic and art than this game and i prefer wesnoth, but for good playability, not graphic. There are too much game, which have excellent graphic without idea)
nuti-naguti

Post by nuti-naguti »

Viliam wrote: Or is it the whole battlefield? Then it is OK. This would probably mean that individual units are moved only during combat. That would be pretty different from Wesnoth.
Yes it is whole battlefield and diffirent from Wesnoth (wesnoth dont have strategy mode) but both games are located in one field - indie tbs strategy. I know that there are many indie strategies in Europe and USA, but in Russia it is first indie project. All game-magazine write articles about eador now)