shaiya

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

shaiya

Post by Pentarctagon »

i was thinking about downloading shaiya and i was wondering if anyone had heard of it and if it was any good compared to other mmorpgs.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: shaiya

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

No matter how good the gameplay is, if it has female characters fighting in high heels and armour that reveals more than it covers, it is not worth my time. I rest my case.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

...I have to agree with the good Sergeant here.
What's depressing is that I've seen worse than that screenshot :|

That said, if you really don't mind that sort of thing, I'm no one to blame you, and I have heard that the gameplay is pretty good. If you feel like it, go for it, and have fun.
palloco

Post by palloco »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:No matter how good the gameplay is, if it has female characters fighting in high heels and armour that reveals more than it covers, it is not worth my time. I rest my case.
The best defense is a good attack. If you can use an armour to distract your enemy, then go for it.
And kicking with a high heel can hurt more than with a blunt shoe, especially when you rely more in dexterity than in strength.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

palloco wrote:
Sgt. Groovy wrote:(…) if it has female characters fighting in high heels and armour that reveals more than it covers, it is not worth my time. I rest my case.
If you can use an armour to distract your enemy, then go for it.
Distraction bonus to AC eh? :lol2:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

palloco wrote:And kicking with a high heel can hurt more than with a blunt shoe, especially when you rely more in dexterity than in strength.
And if that heel gets stuck in the enemy's armor or skin, you are now caught in a very off-balance and awkward position.... ;)

I've tried this game, it's meh....

Similar to all the other MMORPGs offered free or semi-free online, just a different candy coating.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

I discussed this game with my friends. We seem to agree that the game's plotline is about two
Spoiler:
goddesses who spend their free time using a bunch of gullible minions to fight each other in a never-ending war. The two sides? Why, the Alliance of Light and Union of Fury.

Honestly, it's just a generic "Fantasy War" style MMORPG with less clothing on females. Just glancing at an information page tells me that it's basically the same as Guildwars. In fact, it even has the same carbon-copy races: Elves, Humans, "Evil Elves", and "Dwarves". Might as well move on unless you like that kind of thing.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

I never play anything from Aeria ever since i found out the fact that their games are just trial versions of crappy generic titles developers expect you to pay for. Haven't personally played shaiya but i did experiment with project torque and found out that over 90% of the in-game items/cars required a money purchase and the rest required months of farming to get without a money order.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

cool evil wrote:Haven't personally played shaiya but i did experiment with project torque and found out that over 90% of the in-game items/cars required a money purchase and the rest required months of farming to get without a money order.
I love when games advertise themselves that way. Free to play, never have to pay, full access! Then in fine print, something about how everything is free to get, but members willing to pay the fee are able to get it all at least 10x faster than you, thus putting you on the low end of the totem pole all the time.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
governor

Post by governor »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:No matter how good the gameplay is, if it has female characters fighting in high heels and armour that reveals more than it covers, it is not worth my time. I rest my case.
The curtains don't match the drapes! Nice eye btw, I actually had to zoom in to see it.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

governor wrote:
The curtains don't match the drapes! Nice eye btw, I actually had to zoom in to see it.
Wait, what?

*downloads pick and zooms in"

Dear lord! Is she… exposed down there? :shock:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

That or just a chance graphical display error of something behind her or the armor on her back/butt, but either way, it's a line of discussion that can be left alone.
cretin

Post by cretin »

i did find one decent ftp mmo out there. all the content is there, just you can purchase license for increased xp or storage space, or magical looking wings or mounts. which is a fair amount, but you cant buy weapons or that, so a free player can still hold his own fine. plays like Final Fantasy too, you get a squad of guys (i think i like this option the most. Well its managed to keep my attention up to a lvl 54 character, when i usually cant get past an hour of gameplay in these types of mmo. oh its called Atlantica Online. anyone heard of it?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I have heard of it, and played it a little. Though I lack the time to get into a MMORPG currently, I found it enjoyable due to way they set up instances and dungeons that are done solo/party, by guilds, or by nation with multiple parties having to coordinate their efforts.