The Kind of Game *I* Would Like To See

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheMastermind

The Kind of Game *I* Would Like To See

Post by TheMastermind »

(I saw Ken_Oh's post and thought "why not do it too?")

for start i want to highlight some things:
#
english is not my strongest language.
i know abit C# but no more than that.
i'm pretty confident in me having good ideas XD
#

i really like RPG's and strategy games, of pretty much all kinds, but in every game i feel a bit like they miss a lot of things that should not be too complicated to do and it's a shame.
there are a lot of great developers that have a large team behind them, time and budget but yet i feel they can use it better then they do (i have that feeling alot about people not maximazing their reasources).
I like large scale games where you control civilizations, armys and great leaders and also games where you control 1 or a small group of people.
i like it when in games you can shape the world by your actions and having a large range of choises.
i dont like it when there is a great game engine being used once for a pretty bad game and then abanded.

i think that with a little thinking all these things can be acompleshed, have a really great game (even with bad graphics) can be made with great minds and not as much effort as you think.

having a game where each time you play a random world is generated (or created by you). and i'm not talking about "random town, encounters and treasure", i'm talking about a random world with random cultures, lands, races, creatures, technolegys. once you play in a world with only orcs with guns batteling each other over religions and lands, and the other time you play you will be in a world of hunger and deasese and where a man-eating race lure people to their lands with sheep.
and it dosent have to end here, random races, random faiths(random faith truthes: in one world people belive in unreal gods, while in another there are no religions, while there are acoutly real gods monitoring thier actions XD )
random powers (in one world there are mutants with super powers and in another there are 3 kinds of magic)
and the possbileties are endless.
"you dont choose the world you're born to"
and having a random char to play would say "and nither your skin"
a open code game like that would only be limited by the comunite's effortes to add content (which with smart coding can be done easy).
having your char beginig as a powerless creature and getting in to a point of will be setesfing and will combine gaming ganers:
from being a guy that adventures with all kind of weird guys to leading a rebalion army to conqer a city, then making it a capital of trade and slavery.

you will have you own goal in the huge world and you can achive it.
(i picture all of this in a sid miere's civilization interfirance. and it can be eather real time or turn based, it will be awosome with multiplayer XD)

ha and i saw all the "it's immposibale" in the other post, and really, if people will give more to writing then the game's graphic's it can be done pretty well. dont underastimate people and mony, they can make stuff happen XD

and no, it wont be completly random, there will be lists, we live by the lists XD

sure you can make an MMO where the players run the game, and not NPC's, but i really dont think i would trust other poeple to make my game expiriance a good one >.<

what do you think?

English is not my main language, sorry XD
TheGreatRings

Re: The Kind of Game *I* Would Like To See

Post by TheGreatRings »

I like how you think. :D

The thing is, ballance would go right out the window wouldn't it? And so for every good game, you'd probably get ten that sucked (at least).

That said, more open-ended games is a concept that I approve of. But I'd say it would be more feasible to simply make one world that's incredibly deep and complex, than endless random worlds most of which will likely suck.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
TheMastermind

Post by TheMastermind »

and most people will probably think like you. but look at all the games out there, i think they can be added randomness to them.
like in fallout 3 there are a group of "vampires", they're not really vampires just cannibals that adopt the vampire story customs. it's a nice idea (personnaly i was very dissapointed that beside having 1 quest with them you can't join them or something even if you're a cannibal too), but it can have a lot randomness added in to it that will add replayebelity.
probably having a full group randomness system, that will have all kind of orginazaitions, gangs, bands and more.
these guys can be really vampires in one world (and may make you one), in a diffrent world they dont adopet the cannibals way, they are just a group of cannibals that are not shy about it XD
the thing is that with a good, simple random system and an big active community you will have tons of random options eventuly.

i dont really like ballance in games, having the option to get yourself killed for attacking the worng guy should be a part of the game.

and afcourse a smart system will avoid having suckish worlds XD

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Please explain the algorithim you would use to explain to the computer how not to make a bad world.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TheMastermind

Post by TheMastermind »

the computer will not make the world by himself, there will be lists of quest components, NPC components and components to take in random and build from them about everything in the game.

there will be like
"have atleast 5 quest per village"
"atleast 5 races in the world"
and everything that's neccesery. do you really think that i need to explain it? it's not obviois enough? 0.o

appleide

Post by appleide »

TheMastermind wrote:i'm talking about a random world with random cultures, lands, races, creatures, technolegys.
You're in one. There's an extra feature, you only have one go at it. But guess what, its free to join even for non-existant-yet human beings.

In this world you can be a carpenter, soldier, miner, slave, mafia, computer programmer, bum, thief, student, anything you want. Cool, huh?

Plus you can have your own goal and achieve it... ... ... wait you said that already.

Or maybe you prefer the computer programmer dudes invent some sort of super robot to take over the world and put all the humans in a giant machine into a virtual reality like The Matrix? That still doesn't seem much different to me, though. It's too real.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
TheMastermind

Post by TheMastermind »

yeah, it's like that my brother talls me that in sims 3 sims can walk diagonally, eat chips, talk in the phone and crap in the garden and i tell him "you can do that and much more in your life so stop playing that [censored] and start living!@# ".
the thing is that you really can't crap in a garden of a dragon and fight orcs in real life, and i dont know if you noticed, but that's the whole goal: to make games, movies and art as much as realistic as possible. evreyone wants to run away from thier reality and get in to a better one, and even if it's seems wrong, living and dying in a diffrent reality then the "real" one is not that bad, may seem sad, stupid and wierd at first, but if that's what a person want's in his life you can shove yourself up your own ass for as much as he cares XD
(i assume i can use adulet languge in here XD)

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

The random world thing is what Dwarf Fortress is going for. One that writes its own story.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

TheMastermind wrote:(i assume i can use adulet languge in here XD)
You assume wrong. Watch your language. If you have any other uncertainties about what you can and cannot do, read the posting guidelines below.

Posting Guidelines
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Kestenvarn wrote:The random world thing is what Dwarf Fortress is going for. One that writes its own story.
I'm not sure if I understand the idea perfectly, but DF is exactly what I was thinking while reading it.
TheMastermind

Post by TheMastermind »

DF is a very nice game but it's going pretty slow i wish they will relese the finel game alredy but it looks like it will take them a number of years.

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

TheMastermind wrote:DF is a very nice game but it's going pretty slow i wish they will relese the finel game alredy but it looks like it will take them a number of years.
There's no "they", it's one guy making it and his plans will take several years.

you've got a wait coming