OpenSource 3D RogueLike CellShaded SoULFU

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

innocuous

Re: OpenSource 3D RogueLike CellShaded SoULFU

Post by innocuous »

turin wrote:
5. The NICEWARE system must remain working and enforced - no "work
arounds" may be made. In order to access all character classes,
the player must type "I SWEAR I DID SOMETHING NICE" one time per
session.
Wtf?
I have to agree. The vagueness of the license is something that should be changed. The "niceware" thing is a mild inconvenience, I would say that it is just for the cute-ness factor of the game, and shouldn't be a required part of any derivative works of the game.

As it is now, development seems to be on hiatus, and things like a stupid clause in the that enforces "niceware" aren't going to help anything along.
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

Well one may say that it does not help but also do not stop doing a derivative of the game.
But pint 1 really do hinders me if i want do a derivative.
1. The title screen (WSPLASH), main menu (WMAIN), and "Be Nice" window
(WMONEY) must remain intact and unchanged
Especially i don't like that the 'Be Nice' window git 'Money' in its name.
Besides: Why the heck is it opensource but the titlescreen may not be altered?
-- ^ --
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Considering the vast amount of effort put into it by a single person and he is giving away the game and sources free of charge, I don't think it is asking too much if he tries to enforce one or two preferences on the final product. The niceness theme fits with the game concept, and you don't have to use type it in unless you plan to play as certain classes. Having said that, I agree it does seem silly.

There's a lot of confusing things about this game.

I would like to correct the line where it says your character will slowloy starve to death.

The truth is they will *rapidly* starve to death! If you don't like playing at a frenetic pace to feed their abnormal metabolism, it will get really annoying.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sapient wrote:Considering the vast amount of effort put into it by a single person and he is giving away the game and sources free of charge, I don't think it is asking too much if he tries to enforce one or two preferences on the final product.
This issue has come up a few times with other licences. The idea of a mandated splash screen seems quite reasonable on the face of it, but causes all sorts of problems when it comes to derivative works. The licence assumes that you're only going to create mods to SoulFu. If you want to use the engine to create something else (eg. a grim-n-gritty fighting game) the licence requirements are crippling.