Engines

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Engines

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

What sort of mod-friendly (or designed specifically for mods) engines are you aware of? Apart from Roguelikes, which could have a category all their own. I'm just thinking to compile a list for anyone who might have an idea that won't quite work with the Wesnoth engine.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

For one moment, I thought that you meant moderator-friendly :lol:.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

No, I mean more like Hero of Allacrost or ToME.

I'm just not as well versed in the Open Source market to know what's out there, and I suspect a lot of people are the same way.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I'd check out Gusanos, it's a Liero clone that has some heavy moddability. You can look around the internet for some mods, I personally like the Doom weaponset, and some of the maps that come with that.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

So it's an FPS engine?
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

no... It's a game itself, and comes with the basic setup wich is a lot like Liero, the game it started as a clone of (Basically 2d quake with worms, quite fun), but it's got a nice system of layering objects, defining controls within some objects, and all sorts of cool possibilities using the LUA language as well as its own basic, WML-like place to do more simple object attributes.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Darn, I'm developing one for side-scroller platformer games. It is currently frozen, though, for I am switching from Allegro *back* to SDL. Doesn't make a playable game anyway (yet).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Some of the iD Software engines are GPLed and those games were reasonably mod-friendly. Of course the game content is closed-content, but there are some open-content projects using the engines, like OpenArena.