Isometric Correction for Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

No, here's an idea: Squash the hexes vertically.

You see, right now, all units are viewed at ~45 degrees, and all buildings and trees and thingies are viewed at about ~45 degrees, but the ground itself is viewed from straight up.

This would make Wesnoth have a fully consistent perspective (which would be very nice.) Of course, the terrains would have to be updated - not all of them can just be reduced to 0.7 * their current vertical height and still look right.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:No, here's an idea: Squash the hexes vertically.

You see, right now, all units are viewed at ~45 degrees, and all buildings and trees and thingies are viewed at about ~45 degrees, but the ground itself is viewed from straight up.

This would make Wesnoth have a fully consistent perspective (which would be very nice.) Of course, the terrains would have to be updated - not all of them can just be reduced to 0.7 * their current vertical height and still look right.
The graphics shouldn't be changed, but instead the map should be just distorted dynamically like in good old Ogre Battle:

ImageImage

Obviously this would require the OpenGL support for performance, but other than that...it might look pretty neat, although there would no doubt be some problems to adapt to as well.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Well as far as i see it, this is just what is been on work. The newer terrains don´t have this problem IMHO. But the old as grass dirt and sand are wrong. In some terrains the problem will become much less recognizable, if there is a final solution for layered terrain. --> Cliffy transitions, Chasms with borders etc.
Thats one reason why i am trying to work on the bottomed chasms and cliffy transitions, but i´m still learning.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Actually it's not. Many tiles has been "squished", but some remains. It can be quite hard to make this obvious in some tiles though.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

zookeeper wrote:

The graphics shouldn't be changed, but instead the map should be just distorted dynamically like in good old Ogre Battle:

ImageImage

Obviously this would require the OpenGL support for performance, but other than that...it might look pretty neat, although there would no doubt be some problems to adapt to as well.
Sorry - i´m strictly AGAINST this idea
Elvish_Pillager

freim: The very fact that hexes are as tall as they are wide illustrates my point perfectly! No matter how much you make the things IN the hex be in the right perspective, the hex ITSELF is still viewed from the top down.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

freim wrote:

Actually it's not. Many tiles has been "squished", but some remains. It can be quite hard to make this obvious in some tiles though.
Yes -For example the flat terrains are hard - i know.
To solve it, you have to include depth. One way are adequate transitions.
+ depth in the terrains itself. For example grass alphas, mini hills in grass ....
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:freim: The very fact that hexes are as tall as they are wide illustrates my point perfectly! No matter how much you make the things IN the hex be in the right perspective, the hex ITSELF is still viewed from the top down.
Ok - thtas true - but i see no problem with this
Elvish_Pillager

You don't? (freim should... :|)

The problem is that it means that things aren't in the proper perspective. Or maybe they are, but if they are, then the actual amount of space represented by a hex is taller than it is wide (which makes no sense.)

Either of those should be a problem to you.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:You don't? (freim should... :|)

The problem is that it means that things aren't in the proper perspective. Or maybe they are, but if they are, then the actual amount of space represented by a hex is taller than it is wide (which makes no sense.)

OK - We have three different opinions, but that doesn´t mean that i didn´t understand your argumentation. It is correct. I´m simply against changing the Wesnoth appearance like you suggested but i think that some of your statements must be fixed in some of the terrain graphics.

Here is my argumentation:

The reason why i see no problem with the hexes lies within my understanding of the isometrical view. In a normal perspective, everything farer to the background has to be smaller than in the foreground. In an isometrical view this is not true.

Look at the villages. The front edges are always parallel and have the same length as the back edges. For sure this doesn´t match physical perspective, but its a chosen style of art, many games used before - An it is the style i prefer.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The big problems that immediately leap to mind if the ground angle is set to any angle but directly above are:
(a) the eye will expect hexes to get smaller as they get "further away"; and
(b) the eye will expect the viewing angle to change (ie. hexes to "stretch") as they get "further away".
Elvish_Pillager

The hexes would not look as they do in a truly isometric view:
Attachments
isometricity.png
isometricity.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 6838 times
Elvish_Pillager

irrevenant wrote:The big problems that immediately leap to mind if the ground angle is set to any angle but directly above are:
(a) the eye will expect hexes to get smaller as they get "further away"; and
(b) the eye will expect the viewing angle to change (ie. hexes to "stretch") as they get "further away".
Plenty of existing games use an isometric view, and I haven't noticed anyone complaining that they're not using perspective view. They're different things, but it seems that the human eye can easily adapt to looking at either.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:The hexes would not look as they do in a truly isometric view:
??? Then please show me how they should look in your mind. I think they look exactly the way they should.

Very quick sketch
Attachments
hex.PNG
hex.PNG (2.39 KiB) Viewed 6829 times
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Elvish Pillager wrote:freim: The very fact that hexes are as tall as they are wide illustrates my point perfectly! No matter how much you make the things IN the hex be in the right perspective, the hex ITSELF is still viewed from the top down.
of course, you can only give the illusion of depth this way.
Elvish Pillager wrote:You don't? (freim should... :|)

I see your point, but I don't agree it's a big problem. To get correct perspective we need to scale based on distance and that would basicly look like crap. Scaling is a big no no imo.