Open Source Age Of Wonders Clone

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chris_ow

Open Source Age Of Wonders Clone

Post by chris_ow »

Hi All,

For a while now I've been working on an AOW-style game off my own back. The problem is, I can't code interfaces or graphics for toffee, so I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone wanted to help. Like Wesnoth, it's a turn-based, multiplayer, hex-grid strategy game, so I thought I'd ask in here first as there's some great code here already.

Currently I'm working on the (pretty dire) Alpha, trying to split the code into two chunks - the game model, compiled into a DLL, and the interface as a seperate project. What would be cool is if someone could come along and replace the crud interface I've written with a good one. Then I think we'd have the makings of a pretty cool game.

I have a sourceforge page at the moment, at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/openwonders but there's little to see here.

If anyone has any thoughts, questions, or a desire to help out, please let me know!

CJ
Rune

Post by Rune »

That interface doesn't look bad at all IMHO. But then I generally don't care much for fancy graphics...

Anyway, if you want to get help for this project I suggest making it cross-platform. Sure, most users use Windows, but linux is very common among Open Source developers.
Edit: I just noticed that it is developed with VB, so I guess linux support is out of the question.
chris_ow

Post by chris_ow »

Yeah, what I've done so far is in VB. I know that doesn't set most people's world on fire. ;-) But it's the only language I have real experience of. Maybe the game model could be converted to something more open. It's a VB6 DLL at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas?