New game: Fantasy Battlefields

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

I fixed the bug.
Just download the patch on the website or using this link:
http://www.membres.lycos.fr/farfpeuf/fb ... _patch.zip
Then delete the "wav" directory and replace the fantasy_battlefields.bat file by the one contained in the patch.

ElectricEel

Post by ElectricEel »

Thanks, it works now. I like the changes in this version, but I do have a few suggestions for improvements, and a few bug reports.

The game areas are a bit small at present. There isn't much room to maneuver and it can be difficult to get your troops in formation before contact with the enemy. If you have a large army, it is not necessarily possible to deploy all of your troops. I believe increasing the size of the playing area would be particularly beneficial for the use of cavalry. It would also be nice if we could have our units turn, wheel, and expend & reduce their fronts in the deployment phase.

Sometimes, the 'surround' maneuver is available, but does not actually do anything. Other times, it is unavailable when it definately should not be. For example, that dwarven hero would probably have gone down a lot faster if the horse archers could have surrounded him:

There's a bug with the log in the upper left corner:

Also, sometimes during a movement phase, the 'help' tab in the upper left corner, and the display in the lower right corner, show the info for the threat phase.

I also have a few feature suggestions: direction & strenght of the wind, and the height of the sun.

Direction & strenght of the wind could change randomly when the turn ends. Archers would have an advantage in range & damage when shooting downwind, depending on the strenght of the wind, and a disadvantage when shooting upwind, or if the wind was blowing from their side. Command heralds could also have a greater range towards the direction of the wind, and a shorter range against it.

The sun would rise from the east and set to the west, according to the normal day-night cycle. Troops facing towards to sun would be at a disadvantage in combat; archers would be particularly disadvantaged. When the sun was at it's highest point, neither party would be disadvantaged.

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

Thanks for all your suggestions and remarks ElectricEel.

I already corrected some of the bugs you are talking about. But the corrections will be available in the next version.

I am actually working on the campaign mode but I like your suggestions especially the one about taking into consideration the wind direction and I will try to make availbale in the next versions

I have also thought about introducing war machines like catapults and war tricks like spiked pits but keep in mind that I am only doing this during my free time so may take some time to integrate all these features in the game.

Thanks for your help

Also, If you want to contribute to the game development and that you speak another language than English or French you can translate the Messages_en UK.properties file (all the instructions about how to make a translation are written in the file)

farfpeuf

Version 0.8 : You won a battle...now win the war

Post by farfpeuf »

I just uploaded version 0.8

It has a lot of new features

-Campaign game
-Campaing map editor
-New buildings
-One new map (town)
-Screenshot key (F6)
-Bigger deployment areas
-Surrounding action improved

The biggest feature is campaign game

Campaigns allows players to fight several battles on a bigger map.

Each player is given a determined number of army points at the beggining of the campaign. With these points the player can during his turn rise a new army using the army editor.

NTJedi

Post by NTJedi »

Excellent work !

Can battles be setup at different times using the campaign editor ?

How many differently timed battles can be setup in the editor ?
There can be only one.
~Highlander

Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

This is free right? Or at least open-source?

EDIT: Nevermind. :oops:
hey.

martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Ooookay, there something wrong here. I run it, the music starts for a second, then crashes, here's the error:

Code: Select all

[marten@kahr fantasy_battlefields]$ /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/bin/java -classpath .:fb.jar:jorbis/jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis/jorbis-0.0.15.jar ZZ
java.security.InvalidKeyException: Invalid key length: 12 bytes
        at com.sun.crypto.provider.DESCipher.engineGetKeySize(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.b(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.a(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.init(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.init(DashoA12275)
        at HB.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at HB.A(Unknown Source)
        at aC.C(Unknown Source)
        at s.F(Unknown Source)
        at s.B(Unknown Source)
        at ZZ.main(Unknown Source)
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cipher not initialized
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.c(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.Cipher.doFinal(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.CipherInputStream.a(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.CipherInputStream.read(DashoA12275)
        at javax.crypto.CipherInputStream.read(DashoA12275)
        at HB.A(Unknown Source)
        at aC.C(Unknown Source)
        at s.F(Unknown Source)
        at s.B(Unknown Source)
        at ZZ.main(Unknown Source)
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

NTJedi wrote:

Sorry , but I don t understand your question :?
What do you mean by "timed battles" ?

Do you mean the hour of the day on which each battle happens Image
If this is the case, the time of the battle is set at random (for the moment) at the beginning of each battle

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

Flametrooper wrote:This is free right? Or at least open-source?

EDIT: Nevermind. :oops:

It is Free as in Free beer
But it is not Open source (for the moment)

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

martenzo wrote:Ooookay, there something wrong here. I run it, the music starts for a second, then crashes, here's the error:
Well I never had this error before. From what i can see you are running from linux with java 1.5.0_04.

Does someone have this error too?

Can you try to instal the "Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files" for java 1.5 ?

At the bottom of the page http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

and tell me if it works

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

I just uploaded version 0.8.1

It fixes a few bugs from 0.8 and introduces trebuchets (kind of catapults) and giant crossbows

NTJedi

Post by NTJedi »

farfpeuf wrote:
NTJedi wrote:

Sorry , but I don t understand your question :?
What do you mean by "timed battles" ?

Do you mean the hour of the day on which each battle happens Image
If this is the case, the time of the battle is set at random (for the moment) at the beginning of each battle
Well I was wondering about timed battles where after a certain amount of turns or minutes pass then new enemies and/or friends are placed on battlefield. Is this possible ?
There can be only one.
~Highlander

farfpeuf

Post by farfpeuf »

NTJedi wrote:Well I was wondering about timed battles where after a certain amount of turns or minutes pass then new enemies and/or friends are placed on battlefield. Is this possible ?
It is not possible with the current version but it can be a good idea for the next ones.

For the moment you just play the battles one after another and each battle is played until only one army remains on the battlefield.

You can merge armies by placing them on the same hexagon on the campaing map, so this can be considered as some kind of reinforcement, but you cannot do that while armies are fighting.

An idea would be to limit each battle to a certain amount of turns (one day for example) and if no sides wins after that, then enable troups nearby to reinforce the fighting armies.

farfpeuf

version 0.8.2

Post by farfpeuf »

I just finished the italian translation (I only did 3 years of italian when I was in high school so be lenient) so now the game is trilingual :D

This italian translation will be available in the next version 0.8.2

If you want to help to translate the game to another language you are welcome (it takes about 3 hours depending on your level)

I am also working on doubling the maps resolution (this will also be available in the next version) and as you can see below
it now looks quite realistic

Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Is that second one tundra/cold terrain? It looks pretty good.
(BTW, it doesn't seem to work on Windows XP. Will download the next release, in hopes that it does.)
hey.