The name of the World of Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JW

The name of the World of Wesnoth

Post by JW »

Split from here.
Temuchin Khan wrote:
JW wrote:On the topic of renaming the World of Wesnoth:

Perhaps a name for the planet could be brainstormed?
Earthnoth (just kidding)

Mithnoth

Elfnoth

Faernoth
I didn't want to clutter up the IE thread, so here's a dedicated thread to the idea.

Is naming the planet of Wesnoth somehting that the developers would be against? Currently there is some confusion among players as to Wesnoth referring to both the world and the region of Wesnoth. If the planet were given a name (that doesn't necessarily need to be used in any campaigns) it would be easier to discuss the geography of Wesnoth without confusion. This would also align with Turin's efforts to create a world map and would give him a name for that world.

Admittedly, Turin's map will not be an entire world map as I understand it. It will simply be a map of as much of the world as has been mapped out by campaign developers.

Still, IMO a name for the entire world would be useful, so here's a thread for name brainstorming.

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Who said wesnoth is on planet? Who said in wesnoth universe there are planets at all? :wink:

Deathblower

Post by Deathblower »

Like it!

Perhaps the area Wesnoth is in is just a vast expanse of land and sea, stretching out for ever. With new places always to be discovered...

This will require some serious thinking outside the box, as my mind will think of something but only within boundaries programmed into our minds - eg. gravity, and the idea of 'planets'. Hmm . . .

Keep thinking about this guys!

DB

JW

Post by JW »

Then what name should we give the plane of existance currently known loosely as "Wesnoth"?

deonjo

Post by deonjo »

this reminds me of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. It would be cool to have a world. And maybe even have some types of units from different parts of the "world"

scott

Post by scott »

Tomsik wrote:Who said wesnoth is on planet? Who said in wesnoth universe there are planets at all? :wink:
That would definitely explain how the sun moves from east to west on some computers and from west to east on others.

It pains me to advocate anyone coming up with a fake language for this project - it means entering a new plane of existence in the geekiverse - but I wonder how "the world" would be rendered in the Wesfolk language. I know some Wesfolk grammar has been thrown around already, but the most logical choice for the name of the world would probably something along those lines. You would need another term for the orcs to use. The Drakes, of course, speak English.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:
Tomsik wrote:Who said wesnoth is on planet? Who said in wesnoth universe there are planets at all? :wink:
That would definitely explain how the sun moves from east to west on some computers and from west to east on others.

It pains me to advocate anyone coming up with a fake language for this project - it means entering a new plane of existence in the geekiverse - but I wonder how "the world" would be rendered in the Wesfolk language. I know some Wesfolk grammar has been thrown around already, but the most logical choice for the name of the world would probably something along those lines. You would need another term for the orcs to use. The Drakes, of course, speak English.
Scott, fear not, very few GP (geek points) are accrued when your fake language is created by selectively mangling english words.

If we have a round world, call it "the Orb" (which roughly corresponds to "the globe" only it sounds appropriately anachronistic. People are very unlikely to give their world/planet a Proper Name if they are only aware of one. Every name i'm aware of for ol' Earth, is really a description of it's composition, (terra, earth) it's shape, (globe) or it's all-encompassingness (world)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity

Garion

Post by Garion »

I disagree. People who suspect that the land around them is the entire extent of the universe have a tendancy to come up with words like "terra" and "earth," which describe its composition, sure.

And they use the all-encompassing words, also. But they almost always do a third thing. They personify the land, and attribute behaviours and desires to it. And they very often use a proper-noun Name for the consciousness that supposedly guides its actions.

"Gaea" comes to mind very readily.

If we're talking about mythology as a basis for a name, that seems like a decent place to start. If we're just looking for utility, though, to avoid confusing ourselves, pretty much anything will do.

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

As a term, i am trying to think on a modification/spawn from "crucible" and/or "cross", with the purpose of the word representing where all things come to be and happen.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

It could be like how they do things in Warcraft.

'Azeroth' is both a nation on the eastern continent and can be used to describe the world itself.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Obviously the main problem currently is the ambiguity - Wesnoth refers to both the country and the world. Great Continent refers to the continent Wesnoth (the country) is located on. But all three of these terms are used, to an extent, interchangeably. This is wrong.

I support the Orb for the planet-thing name, I think the Great Continent should be called Greatland, the OC should be called Homeland, and the Green Isle should remain the Green Isle. Let's keep it simple. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

If 'Wesnoth' was originally a contraction of 'West and North', it's not really appropriate for the world's name...

scott

Post by scott »

Aon was the name of the world in the world of Lone Wolf. It's short and simple, and it works - maybe not for us directly but as an example.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kestenvarn wrote:If 'Wesnoth' was originally a contraction of 'West and North', it's not really appropriate for the world's name...
That's... the point. :?

Wesnoth is the name of the country of Wesnoth. The problem is, there is no name for any of the continents except the Green Isle, and none for many of the regions, so we are reduced to names like Great Continent (GC), Old Continent (OC), World of Wesnoth (WOW), the-area-south-east-of-Wesnoth-where-the-shifters-are-located, etc.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote: we are reduced to names like Great Continent (GC), Old Continent (OC), World of Wesnoth (WOW), the-area-south-east-of-Wesnoth-where-the-shifters-are-located, etc.
lol Turin. :wink:

I suggest that we don't use any names previously used by other franchise-type games such as Lone Wolf (a good series) or WoW, no matter how good their names may sound. The world Wesnoth is in should be unique, as many of the features found within it are.