a simple suggest

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Klausi

a simple suggest

Post by Klausi »

First I want to say sorry for my bad English I hope you can understand me.

I play Wesnoth with my Windows PC in the user mode and every time the round is up, the game tells me, that the game state could not be saved. Is it possible to save the game states in the home directory (My Documents) or to have a option to save the game states to a special directory? :?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I believe you currently has to play as the administrator user to avoid those errors. Personally I find this rather unfortunate, but seems to be abundant among Windows programs. I would like to see Wesnoth changed so that you could play it as a normal user, which is the best practice from a security viewpoint.
jg

Post by jg »

I don't know about Windows, but I got the same message when I played Wesnoth on Linux sometime ago. This was probably because I had pressing the screenshot button, instead of the save button. That is how I got my space full quite quickly I had given 'home'. After I deleted the enormous .bmp pictures, I had space again and could save again.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Have you tried just installing all the Wesnoth into My Documents?

That way, when you save, it'll be in My Documents.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

frame wrote:I believe you currently has to play as the administrator user to avoid those errors.
Or the administrator has to give write access to directory C:\Program Files\Wesnoth\userdata\ for all players.

PS: Maybe the installing program for MS Windows should mention this...
Omah

Post by Omah »

Why doesn't it follow recommended practice under Windows, i.e. save user data in the user's home directory, to which they have write permissions?

This sort of thing is what makes people run Windows under admin accounts. It's not Microsoft's fault, it's undisciplined or ignorant developers.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Omah wrote:Why doesn't it follow recommended practice under Windows, i.e. save user data in the user's home directory, to which they have write permissions?
Maybe because the user's home directory changes depending on version of Windows? Maybe because it's a program by-developers-for-developers?
This sort of thing is what makes people run Windows under admin accounts. It's not Microsoft's fault, it's undisciplined or ignorant developers.
Then submit a patch. BTW, calling the developers ignorant and undisciplined on your first post seems a bit arrogant to me. Try backing your words up with some investment of your own free time to code for Wesnoth.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I must say, resurrecting a 6-month-old thread for the purpose of insulting the developers is not the best way you could have made your first post.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Leo

Post by Leo »

Sapient wrote: Then submit a patch.
Is a problem really only "who-makes-the-patch"?
I think developers just do not want it, do they?
Leo

Post by Leo »

As for me, I think writing Program Files is really ugly & legacy pratice that normal program must stictly avoid.
And why Wesnoth saves to home under Linux and do not under Windows?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Omah wrote:Why doesn't it follow recommended practice under Windows, i.e. save user data in the user's home directory, to which they have write permissions?
Because the developer who wrote the code (that would be me) didn't know how to save to the user's home directory in Windows when he wrote the code. In fact, I still don't know. I have no compulsion to learn, either.

Wesnoth is available for a large number of platforms. The development team is more interested in improving the core game than studying the intricacies of every platform Wesnoth is available for.

We thus rely on users of various systems to provide patches that make Wesnoth work best on those systems. If you think Wesnoth could work better on your system, then please provide a patch, and we will consider it.

Regards,

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Omah, you are on my radar. A bad place to be. Watch your step.

By the way, gentlemen, I'm back. A little order, please.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

*places offering of chicken and pasta to appease the House of Dubh*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Aww. Darn. All I've got is a Jello Jiggler.
*hopes for appeasement*
Leo

Post by Leo »

Dave wrote: Because the developer who wrote the code (that would be me) didn't know how to save to the user's home directory in Windows when he wrote the code. In fact, I still don't know. I have no compulsion to learn, either.
I can try to write patch, but this can happen only after middle of September (after release on my job). It's probally too late for 1.2, isn't it? I didn't do this earlier cause I think that developers just happy with current behaivor and just want to stay it is.