Wesnoth moves too fast!

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Captain Innocuous

Wesnoth moves too fast!

Post by Captain Innocuous »

I apologize if this is a repeated topic, but I need to know if anyone feels the same way I do.

This isn't a topic saying that the actual battles need more predictability etc-- there are enough of those already.

:arrow:
Each battle, each engagement, each swing of each unit, and each movement from hex to hex is too fast for my tastes.

I think I would be better willing to sacrifice my beautiful level two elvish marksman if I knew she would put up a great fight holding off those two wolf riders, instead of keeling over after 3.5 seconds of heartbreak. Right now, when one of my units dies, I feel cheated. I expect more.

Is there an easy solution I can work out, such as something by compiling the game myself? Only, I have no experience in anything like that.

This is a great game. It is better than most of the games I have that I pay money for. I know that it might be hard to implement a feature like this, but I would like some feedback on my feedback.

This wouldn't affect the times when skip moves on, obviously.

Keep up the good work!
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Well, we've recognised that death sound effects would be good, but there's not been much work put into it.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

My two cents...
There are two types of strategy games: Strategic and Tactical.

Strategic games deal with larger sums of units and generally includes the ability to replenish your depleted force by purchasing additional troops. A facet of strategy games is their leaning towards large scale engagements with more or less cookie cutter formations of troops. Think Panzer General with it's multiple panther tank units, but they're all pretty much the same after you consider experience.

Tactical games deal with having smaller squads that are significantly more detailed than troops you would find in a strategy game. Good example of this would be MechCommander or perhaps Ground Control. You have a small number of units that cannot be reinforced during a 'mission'.

I'd have to say Wesnoth falls into the former. There are some scenarios that are HUGE in scale. The last scenario of the Rise of Wesnoth campaign comes to mind. That is a ton of units going at it. The trouble with giving individual units exceptionally long and detailed death sequences... you have to multiply that by every unit on the field...

When your level two elvish marksman dies, it's a tragedy. When a million of them have died over the course of a bloody campaign, it's a statistic.
If this game was more focused on smaller, tactical, engagements, it definitely is quick and units do not get their 15 minutes to burn brightly before they are extinguished.
As it is, Wesnoth seems to be more of a strategic warfare game. You may feel cheated by the quick end of your sassy elf girl, but when you consider the ease of replacing her... It wouldn't make sense to have such elaborate fight and death sequences.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'm not sure what you're requesting... You want it to take longer for your units to fight and die? Large scenarios will take a very long time with such a modification....
aelius

Post by aelius »

Do you mean that Wesnoth is too deadly, i.e. that combat involves too few strokes, or that that the graphics of the combat are too quickly animated?

If the former, then you can modify the game .cfg files (specifically in /data/units/ to either increase the hit points of the units or reduce the deadliness of their attacks.

If the latter, you can make the animations slower too by modifying the .cfg files the game uses.

Both of these undertakings, while they will not require compiling the game, will, however, will be arduous and tedious.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Captain Innocuous

Post by Captain Innocuous »

I'm sorry if I wasn't too clear. My original intent was to say that the animations in all of the game just aren't long enough for my tastes. I do understand that the game would stretch out and become unbearable if the animations were as long as I'd like; however, the battles with 100+ units already feel like they are dragged out without having extended animations.

It would also take twice as many frames per animation if the same quality as they are now, which would mean twice as much work for the animators. That's not what I meant to say either.

Changing every cfg file for each unit really doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for your quick replies though.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

What he's saying makes sense to me. Death animations especially could be longer. I would advise doing it somewhat by unit level. When a level 1 unit dies, no big deal, but when a level 3 unit dies, its a really big deal. Show the difference in the animation lengths.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

SmokemJags wrote:When your level two elvish marksman dies, it's a tragedy. When a million of them have died over the course of a bloody campaign, it's a statistic.
:D Quoting Stalin in a Wesnoth Forum. Who would have thought...?

If someone thinks the animation is too fast, surely they can just play around with the timing. If they don't wish to do that...well, they can't care that much.
When a level 1 unit dies, no big deal, but when a level 3 unit dies, its a really big deal. Show the difference in the animation lengths.
Certainly not a bad idea. But there is the ever-present art barrier, as you know. But hey, if someone wishes to draw it, why not?
db0

Post by db0 »

Zhukov wrote:
SmokemJags wrote:When your level two elvish marksman dies, it's a tragedy. When a million of them have died over the course of a bloody campaign, it's a statistic.
:D Quoting Stalin in a Wesnoth Forum. Who would have thought...?
In context no less :)
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

if your worried on a huge scenario about long death animations wasting your time you could always have the option to turn death animations off :)
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Yea I always liked that quote (a bit morbid perhaps) and I thought it fit into this discussion quite well. No matter how well I dress up posts with pictures or colorful quotes though, I'll never attain a mastery of forum postage like my mentor Rasalom possessed.
Quoting Stalin in a Wesnoth Forum. Who would have thought...?
How fitting... this comment coming from someone whose user name is that of the most famous and illustrious of Soviet Generals? Heh.

I like that attitude though; if something really bothered you that much you'd do something about it...

If you would like to see enhanced and lengthier animations, I recommend following these links.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9162
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2014

Personally though, what bothers me is the lack of a vampire bat death animation... ;)

And a note on the toggle idea. Seems to me this is also a reoccuring theme around here. Let's have a feature but put a toggle on it so everyone has a choice...

With few exceptions, such as the idea to assist color 'blind' individuals, I'm thinking an idea is either going to make it into the game or it's simply not. To have so many customizeable features might be interesting, but seriously for the effort that would be required into something that people would just turn off?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

SmokemJags wrote: With few exceptions, such as the idea to assist color 'blind' individuals, I'm thinking an idea is either going to make it into the game or it's simply not. To have so many customizeable features might be interesting, but seriously for the effort that would be required into something that people would just turn off?
Going by those standards, they wouldn't have "Accelerated Speed", which, obviously, doesn't turn of animations, but it does make them VERY difficult to see(it does, however, get rid of healing/leading animations).
So a toggle would be possible, some people don't need to wait for 15 minutes every time a unit dies. I, personally, would like it, but, as I said, there would be others that would.
Sorry for the meaningless post