Proposal for further advancements after max-level

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Is this a good idea?

Yes!
75%
No!
20%
It won't make that much difference....
5%

Total votes: 40

Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

To have something easier than complete indivualisation of the bonus for added expeerience and better than a one size fit all, the bonus could be tailored by type of unit function: fighter, mixed-fighter, healer, scout...
A series of bonuses (including maybe a single special trait) would be set up for each categories. Also the basal bonus might inclkude some random element to add diversity.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Let me firstly say that,

- the new abilities one could gain from further levelling up would not be particularly powerful
- we would make 2nd and 3rd level units weaker than they are now. You'd probably need 500+xp at level 3 to be as strong as a current level 3 unit.
turin wrote: I think that leveling up is the only way that a unit should get better (and picking up items). Any other way encourages using only the most powerful units that are already advanced, and not advancing more lowerlevel units.
You have to advance more lower level units because you have to have enough diversity and enough high level units in your army for later levels. I don't see how this changes.

Further, when it probably takes 300 xp for an Elvish Champion to achieve the equivalent advancement in skills to an Elvish Fighter getting 30 xp, it's still going to be somewhat more rewarding to go with the fighter.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Personally, I'd rather add in additional Level 3 & 4 units to the game. While being able to develop incredibly powerful units would be nice, the rebalancing required to achieve this would make the current balance between different levelled units precarious. Then again, I admit I just want to see my Paladin transform into a Paragon and develop a halo. ;)

(BTW - Why doesn't the Revenant level up to a Death Knight? It seems an obvious progression to me)
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Sangel wrote: (BTW - Why doesn't the Revenant level up to a Death Knight? It seems an obvious progression to me)
This is a question I also asked some time ago but never got an answer. When looking at the revenants unit file it wass indicated experience=85
but then advanceto=null. You can replace it in your own file if you want (advanceto=Death Knight).
As far as I know there is no advancement leading to death knight.
I also think that the revenant is a bit weak, specially in HP with little gain from skeleton for a frontline fighting unit.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
miyo

Post by miyo »

Sangel wrote:Personally, I'd rather add in additional Level 3 & 4 units to the game. While being able to develop incredibly powerful units would be nice,
If there would be e.g. 4th level for most units... those units would be about as powerful as 3rd level units are now... and we would tune down 2nd and 3rd levels.

No uber units.

- Miyo
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Normally I'm against level caps, but I think they play a major part in Wesnoth. I also really dislike the idea of units gaining levels 1-3 and then switching over to a new leveling system where you can tweak them. I vote no no no!!!

I don't mind adding more real levels and toning the other levels down as miyo says. But thats a lot more work to throw onto the artists.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think that some simple rule like all max-level units get +X HP +Y damage would be best. I like the idea that once a limit hits max, that you aren't completely wasting experience by using them, but I don't think that leveling them up should be nearly as dramatic as what goes on with lower level units. I could see having (X,Y) configurable for different units, but the
problem with giving too many options (such as new abilities) is that the tendency will be to make all high level units the same...

just my $0.02