A new Begining.....could sybolise a change!

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
grand921

A new Begining.....could sybolise a change!

Post by grand921 »

I am of course speaking of.........customisable units.Allow me to explain.
I am thinking of a building that can be captured like a village and used once every 2 turns,that could make a new unit by buying weapons,armor,wands,etcetera and the end result would be an all new unit that u could buy at the castle.

sorry for misspellings.
\________________________________/
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:?

IMHO, you did a very poor job of explaining. Can you try again? And this time, include why it is a good idea, instead of just what the idea is?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Garm

Post by Garm »

a shop?
Veni vidi vici
Ayreon

Post by Ayreon »

I think he means some short of shop yes, but where you can "construct" a new unit. Give the new constucted unit weapons,armor and other items (for abilities) and then you can build the unit in your castle.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Grand921, I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at, but this idea sounds like one of the Frequently Proposed Ideas. (see below)
If you haven't, please read the FPI sticky topic as well as the "Rules for the 'Ideas' Forum", before posting ideas which we might have heard a dozen times before.
* There should be (more) special items for units to get that make them more powerful
Background: suggestions of various kind of special items (powerful bows, swords, etc) that make units more powerful.
Various methods of acquisition have been suggested, including forging them at one's keep, finding them, or buying them
at a shop
Result: although the Wesnoth engine supports a reasonably sophisticated system for items that make units more
powerful, the developers feel that keeping these items few and far between is better than creating a 'collect the
power-ups' game.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
grand921

thats not it at all

Post by grand921 »

thats not what i mean i meant that u "construct" a unit that u can build in the castle later on.Sorry i didnt explain why i thought this was good so here goes...........I think this would be good because it would add an infinete possibilities of units it would allow u to surprise the enemy with new units.do u guys understand now?
\________________________________/
Dark Helmet

Post by Dark Helmet »

I think that this sounds like a good idea at first but a few reasons why not A) For one it kind of takes away the spirit of the game, having to adapt your maybe not-so-perfect units to the situation and environment at hand, instead of just getting a perfecto one while paying a little more B) Would probably be a hard thing to transition to for a the people who have developed their strategies, along with possibly being confusing to new players. And C) It would make the graphics issue even more complicated which it does NOT need to be. Obviously there could be some kind of template, where the faces/armors/weapons/wands could be pasted to by the engine, but that would look rather cheesy. (yay, cheese! :P )
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

It's an interesting idea. I think it's a little too RPG for the main game, but I think it could already be done with WML if someone wanted to do this for a particular scenario or campaign.

The location could trigger an event that would pop up a dialog, and, depending on what choices you made in the dialog, custom units could be added to your recruit list, and your on-hand gold could be adjusted downwards. I can't see any reason this couldn't be made to work with the game as it stands. (But I'm not a WML expert.)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It would be "possible", but it would involve a whole lot of ugly code, and the unit's help description would not match the unit itself, stat-wise.

The reason is, it is impossible to create a unit type on-the-spot... they have to be defined before the scenario starts.

@grand921: I see that as a reason not do use this idea. It adds a new layer of strategy, which is actually BAD, not good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

There should be mercenary camps that'd allow you to recruit specific unit types when you place your leader on them! roar
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
grand921

hmm

Post by grand921 »

couldnt it be more of an optional thing then?Like u can turn it on and off?

Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Neoriceisgood wrote:There should be mercenary camps that'd allow you to recruit specific unit types when you place your leader on them! roar
That would make Wesnoth some kind of Warcraft III... :S...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Perhaps there could be a unit desining interface (like the scenario desining one). You know, I recognize this sort of thing, making new units ingame, from Earth 2150, in there it was one of the best sides of the game, however, it was a RTS.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: hmm

Post by turin »

grand921 wrote:couldnt it be more of an optional thing then?Like u can turn it on and off?
OAB*.

So, basically, no. Being able to turn something on and off does nothing to resolve the objections to it, complications the code and gameplay, and unstandardizes Wesnoth (a bad thing, in this context). So, it either goes in or it stays out, no in-between...

*Options Are Bad
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Mkgego wrote:
Neoriceisgood wrote:There should be mercenary camps that'd allow you to recruit specific unit types when you place your leader on them! roar
That would make Wesnoth some kind of Warcraft III... :S...
What's Warcraft III?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag