Narrator, voices

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
capitol

Post by capitol »

me and a friend have started to do that, listen to them at:

http://www.sigma.su.se/~capitol/wesnoth2/english/
"The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children."
icen

Narrator, voices

Post by icen »

Hello :)

What I love about Wesnoth is Alexi's music. It's really great. It builds a nice atmosphere in-game. I also like the graphics (even though I'm not an anime/manga fan - but thank god this is not the 'typical' anime... nevermind), and the only thing to change in my opinion is - sound. Sounds in-game (they sound as if they were taken from Egoboo? am I right?) could be greatly improved (you probably know it), and what could be added is - speech

I mean:
a) narrator that reads the text before the campaign
b) voices reading the text in-game

I heard Aleksi's orcish speech samples and they were very cool. The addition of speech would improve the climax. They would be packaged in a separate package.

What do you think? Are there any volunteers for voice acting? What do devs think about it?
"The caterpillar can never fathom the butterfly." - Timothy Leary
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think its good idea, but it would make file to download bigger.
icen

Post by icen »

The speech would be available for download in a separate package, so the size would not be a problem.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Part of the problem is you must get good speechers a and b got the equipment to record their voices and c this has to be done in 30 different languages.

I like the idea but I think it would be very difficult to make.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
icen

Post by icen »

Speech actors would be difficult to find for all languages. I thought about such solution: The voice is in English while the text is translated, I saw many games (here in Poland) being translated that way. I liked it, and it has an educating factor 8) ;)

capitol: gonna check that now ;)
Last edited by icen on April 5th, 2009, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

tomsik wrote:I think its good idea, but it would make file to download bigger.
Make two versions: a light one, with a few sounds, graphics, and others, for people still using diall-up, and a complete one (with all factions, campaigns, etc... included)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
jonathantan86

Post by jonathantan86 »

In the game Fish Fillets (open source) the voiced words were in Czech but the displayed words (subtitles) were in English. And I don't understand Czech. :-) Wesnoth is a more "serious" game than Fish Fillets but this might work too.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

If those voices are implemented, it will give a lot of work to translators.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

It wouldn't be too bad if the voices are in english and the text in your language. Of course it would be nice if some translators did the translation.

Perhaps the voices could be switched off if you think they're annoying. The voices should, by the way, be from different actors for different persons. Capitols voices are good, but it sounds too much like one person trying to speek in different ways...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
capitol

Post by capitol »

Lugo Moll:

Yes those were mostly a test run with one of my friends, we could engage more if we get a goahead.

(btw we also have some swedish at: http://www.sigma.su.se/~capitol/wesnoth2/ )
"The memory management on the PowerPC can be used to frighten small children."
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

wayfarer wrote:Part of the problem is you must get good speechers a and b got the equipment to record their voices and c this has to be done in 30 different languages.
I like the idea but I think it would be very difficult to make.
(a) Wesnoth has numerous talented coders and artists - I doubt finding talented talkers would be a problem.

(b) I don't believe you need much beyond a soundcard and a decent microphone equipment-wise.

(c) IMO, this is not a reason not to get started on the firs (presumably english) version. Much as with text, it'll be converted to other languages as volunteers are found who are willing to convert it...
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

We can also split races based on the talker origin...
i.e. All elves voices could be from scandinavian people.
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

^^^ Then we really must have some scots doing the dwarfs. : ) I doubt a scandinavian accent sounds very elfish, though...
btw we also have some swedish at: http://www.sigma.su.se/~capitol/wesnoth2/
They sounded pretty good actually. (Utom "Var försiktig Konrad" i falsett :P )
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
icen

Post by icen »

fmunoz wrote:We can also split races based on the talker origin...
i.e. All elves voices could be from scandinavian people.
Great idea.