Siege/Assault Multiplayer Game Type

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Siege/Assault Multiplayer Game Type

Post by max_torch »

In the game Unreal Tournament from 1999 there is a game mode called "Assault". The match is played twice, where two teams take turns in the role of attacker and defender. This makes me think of an idea for Wesnoth.

Here's an idea for a 1v1 multiplayer game mode for wesnoth, let's call it siege or assault, where 2 games are played instead of one. In the first game, one is the attacker and the other defender, where defender has less advantages than attacker. In the second game, the two players swap sides as attacker and defender. After, whoever manages to survive the most number of turns wins. In the second game, the game is over if it lasts longer than the first game.
Objectives can be diverse, not necessarily keep the leader alive - like destroy the crystal, steal the treasure, kill all peasants, etc., reach other end of the map - just like campaign scenarios.

Actually we can probably take any campaign scenario, give human control to attacking and defending sides, make it start a game after the first one ends, and end the second game if it last longer than the first one. Does this sound appealing?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Siege/Assault Multiplayer Game Type

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

max_torch wrote: August 10th, 2021, 6:30 am In the game Unreal Tournament from 1999 there is a game mode called "Assault". The match is played twice, where two teams take turns in the role of attacker and defender. This makes me think of an idea for Wesnoth.

Here's an idea for a 1v1 multiplayer game mode for wesnoth, let's call it siege or assault, where 2 games are played instead of one. In the first game, one is the attacker and the other defender, where defender has less advantages than attacker. In the second game, the two players swap sides as attacker and defender. After, whoever manages to survive the most number of turns wins. In the second game, the game is over if it lasts longer than the first game.
Objectives can be diverse, not necessarily keep the leader alive - like destroy the crystal, steal the treasure, kill all peasants, etc., reach other end of the map - just like campaign scenarios.

Actually we can probably take any campaign scenario, give human control to attacking and defending sides, make it start a game after the first one ends, and end the second game if it last longer than the first one. Does this sound appealing?
I have played a few games of Assault/Siege in Xonotic and I did find the game mode to be quite fun. To adapt it to Wesnoth, it would mostly be based on score calculator between 2,4 or 6 sides or so. Would make a nice coop+competitive MP campaign for a set number of players to be honest.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Siege/Assault Multiplayer Game Type

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

max_torch wrote: August 10th, 2021, 6:30 am Does this sound appealing?
I guess so.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium