[interface] Mouse/Scrolling behavior with multiple monitors

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
yereq

[interface] Mouse/Scrolling behavior with multiple monitors

Post by yereq »

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but I *think* it is a new request...

When playing on multiple monitors (or with Wesnoth in windowed mode on a large screen with other applications open), I am faced with a dilemma:
  1. Leave mouse-position-based scrolling turned on and watch the game have a seizure :lol: while I use my other applications.
  2. Turn mouse-position-based scrolling off and start using the scroll wheel or arrow keys (less convenient, imo)
Personally, I prefer the first option if those are my only choices, but it really would be nice if Wesnoth was aware when the window no longer has mouse focus. Then it could ignore the mouse position when I alt-tab or click on a different window. (or Cmd-tab for you Mac-lovers out there)

Alternately, another good approach could be to detect when the mouse is more than 10px outside the window or something like that, maybe.

Anyway, that's my idea for consideration!
Last edited by yereq on April 8th, 2021, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Mouse/Scrolling behavior with multiple monitors

Post by Atreides »

Yep, I've just (as of a few days) started running into this problem. With Wes 1.14.16 running on the top external if I mouse down to the laptop screen it just scrolls until it hits the bottom of the map. The problem is not that though it is that trying to scroll by bumping the edge isn't accurate down since my OS interprets that as wanting to switch screens (which is good). Wesnoth really should stop scrolling then.
In 1.12.6 it's much worse though. 12 seems to have a bug (noticed this a year before I started using 2 monitors) though regarding full screen resolution. I recall when I started with BfW I tried out stuff like changing resolution in prefs and 1.12 went insane everytime. Now with 2 monitors it is even more crazed. In full screen the top half is on the top 1280x1024 monitor and the bottom (mostly part is offset) is on the 1366x768 laptop... It is usable though in windowed mode but then scrolling with the mouse is too hard (trying to find those 3 pixels that are the scroll region is ridiculous) so arrow keys (luckily) must be used.
yereq

Re: Mouse/Scrolling behavior with multiple monitors

Post by yereq »

To clarify, using the arrow keys, etc. isn't absolutely awful, but I really, really like using the mouse. It works so well, except for this complication with multiple monitors or windows.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: [interface] Mouse/Scrolling behavior with multiple monitors

Post by Soliton »

Preferences -> Advanced -> Keep scrolling when mouse leaves window
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
yereq

Re: [interface] Mouse/Scrolling behavior with multiple monitors

Post by yereq »

Thanks Soliton. Obviously, that was the ticket. I don't know why I didn't see that.
All of my excessive explanation, and it was already there... *sigh*