Mixed terrain types unavailable in editor

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Lord--Stronghold

Mixed terrain types unavailable in editor

Post by Lord--Stronghold »

1. In einer offiziellen Kampagne gibt es den Gelände Typ: Sumpf/Wald. Ich schlage vordiesen Geländetyp auch im Karteneditor zur Verfügung zu stellen.
2. In einer offiziellen Kampagne gibt es den Gelände Typ: Hügel/Wald. Ich schlage vordiesen Geländetyp auch im Karteneditor zur Verfügung zu stellen.
3. In einer offiziellen Kampagne gibt es den Gelände Typ: Burg/Dorf. Ich schlage vordiesen Geländetyp auch im Karteneditor zur Verfügung zu stellen.
4. Wenn man ein Overly-Feld auf ein Wald- oder Fungusfeld platziert, verschwinden Bäume und Pilze. Ich schlage vor, das zu korrigieren.
5. Ich schlage vor, je eine weitere Variante für Burg/Flachwasser, Burgfried/Fachwasser, Dorf/Flachwasser, Burg/Sumpf, Burgfried/Sumpf und Dorf/Sumpf im Karteneditor zur Verfügung zu stellen.
6. Ich schlage vor, je zwei Varianten von Burg/Tiefwasser, Burgfried/Tiefwasser, Dorf/Tiefwasser, Burg/Berg, Burgfried/Berg, Dorf/Berg, Burg/Wald, Burgfried/Wald, Dorf/Wald, Burg/Fungus, Burgfried/Fungus, Dorf/Fungus, Burg/Hügel, Burgfried/Hügel und Dorf/Küstennahes Riff im Karteneditor zur Verfügung zu stellen.
7. Ich bitte um Entschuldigung für eventuelle Unhöflichkeiten und das Nichtheraussuchen der entsprechenden Szenarien in Punkt 1 bis 3

1. In an official campaign there is the terrain type: swamp / forest. I also suggest that this type of terrain be made available in the map editor.
2. In an official campaign there is the terrain type: hill / forest. I also suggest that this type of terrain be made available in the map editor.
3. In an official campaign there is the terrain type: castle / village. I also suggest that this type of terrain be made available in the map editor.
4. When you place an overly field on a forest or fungus field, trees and mushrooms disappear. I suggest correcting that.
5. I propose to provide another variant for castle / flat water, castle keep / flat water, village / flat water, castle / swamp, castle keep / swamp and village / swamp in the map editor.
6. I propose two variants of castle / deep water, castle keep / deep water, village / deep water, castle / hill, castle keep / mountain, village / mountain, castle / forest, castle keep / forest, village / forest, castle / fungus, castle keep / fungus, village / fungus, castle / hills, castle keep / hills and village / coastal reef in the map editor.
7. I apologize for any impoliteness and for not looking for the corresponding scenarios in points 1 to 3
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Mixed terrain types unavailable in editor

Post by beetlenaut »

Most of your requests are available in the editor already! While you place an overlay terrain, you can hold down the shift key to leave the current base terrain unchanged. You can get forest+swamp, keep+mountain, village+reef, castle+deep water, and many others with this technique.

However, a Wesnoth hex can have only have one base terrain and one overlay terrain. Castles, villages, forests, and mushrooms are all overlays, which is why you can't combine them. This will probably not change because the developers would need to rewrite a lot of the terrain code. It would also cause problems calculating defense and movement.

Some of your requests are combinations of overlays. It is possible to construct them with WML and an image editor, but we are probably not going to add any of them to the map editor. Other people would ask for other combinations, and there are hundreds of possibilities. However, if you really need one, it is possible to construct it with a little research.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Castles are actually base terrains too.

I should add: the trick with shift also works the other way around, for replacing base terrains without removing the overlay.

For 4.In version 1.15 (the development version) an alternative, different looking, mushroom terrain has been added, which is a base terrain. For forest that probably won't happen, as we would need graphics for a forest terrain, which still looks good if one places a village or any other overlay onto it.

For 5. There exist special castles which are water+castle and swamp+castle. They are one singe base terrain, without overlay. A bit tricky: Same exists for the human keeps, but they look the same like the normal human keep. You can only see in the help which of the three it is.
Try out the dark board theme.
Lord--Stronghold

Vielen Dank euch beiden / ihnen beiden, für die schnelle Antwort. Ich hatte übrigens die Idee, dass man aus der Dorf/Wald-Kombination ein Baumhaus machen könnte.

Thank you both for the quick reply. Incidentally, I had the idea that the village / forest combination could be turned into a tree house.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Lord--Stronghold wrote: June 14th, 2020, 10:10 am Incidentally, I had the idea that the village / forest combination could be turned into a tree house.
Actually, we already have tree house villages. The following zip-file contains a collection of the tile images and some code to make it work. Feel free to use them in your own content. Or alternatively, put it into your add-ons/ folder and you will be able to access them like every other tile in the map editor.
Treehouse-Terrain.zip
(226.47 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Lord--Stronghold

Vielen, vielen Dank, das ist mir wirklich eine sehr große Hilfe. Ich hoffe, das funktioniert auch, wenn ich die Karte dann im Multyplayer-Modus mit anderen online ausprobiere.

Thank you so much, it really helps me a lot. I hope it works if I try the card online with others in multyplayer mode.
Lord--Stronghold

Gibt es eigentlich auch ein Pilzdorf?

Is there actually a mushroom village?
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Lord--Stronghold wrote: June 17th, 2020, 6:12 pm Thank you so much, it really helps me a lot. I hope it works if I try the card online with others in multyplayer mode.
In order make the it work in multiplayer, both players will need to have the folder inside their add-ons/ directory. Simply tell the others to download the zip-file here in the forums. And don't forget to add the following code into the _main.cfg file of your own multiplayer scenario:
{~add-ons/Treehouse-Terrain/include.cfg}
Lord--Stronghold wrote: June 17th, 2020, 7:03 pm Is there actually a mushroom village?
Sadly not, as far as I know...
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!