Dwarves need a ranged non-physical attack

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

I disagree that orcs are stupid. Their culture doesn't support coddling the weak or the wounded, but that's just their way. As for the dwarves (back on topic), I suspect that they're primarily interested in mining, and that creating weapons is simply an easy sideline to their primary business of creating mining equipment and tools.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

No, dwarves don't need healers because they are incredibly resistent, so they don't die that easily. That being true, means that a healer profession would grow much less than normal. That doesn't mean they don't exist or dwarves don't have religious cults, just that they are rare.

Now, holy hammer is a whole different thing, wich I like.
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Healing by units in wesnoth is done by magic.

Elves are some of the only ones with easy access to this - humans have to work much harder to achieve the same end.

Frankly, I would like to see the saurians' healing removed, and replaced with something like drain, which would be a bit more appropriate to what I consider the nature of their magic to be.

Dwarven magic comes in their incredible resilience, and their unnerving physical prowess in combat. If we make a dwarf that uses magic, that is what will be enhanced about him - he will make other dwarves more resilient, and he will have a magic, impact, melee attack with a runed hammer.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

If 'technology' (presumably high technology) is out, that doesn't mean they can't use the equivalent of Greek Fire. That antedates firearms by over a thousand years.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

drachefly wrote:If 'technology' (presumably high technology) is out, that doesn't mean they can't use the equivalent of Greek Fire. That antedates firearms by over a thousand years.
Wasn't greek fire mainly used on and against ships? The apparatus for using it was too large to be carried around by a single person...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Yes, altought they used some kinds of fire attacks on normal combats as well, but nothing compared to that silly thunderstick
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

In several fantasy games, dwarves are associated with advanced technology; in Warcraft 3 they have riflemen, flying machines etc. When posting this I realize that WIN...
Sorry for the meaningless post
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

there was nothing more stupid in W3 than dwarvish rifleman. A dwarf more likely to be a warrior, like the footman. Having a dwarf weaker than the warrior was something weird.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just so you know, "no guns in wesnoth" is the oldest flame war on the forums. Its been debated countless times. The basic conclusion was, most races should not have guns (originally, the duelist and dragoon had a pistol, but they were removed), and the guns that are in should look very, very primitive, but guns are OK. Dwarves are allowed to have guns, and they're the only ones.

Also, just so you know, I have a book on antique guns, and there are ones from the 14th century back... since the dwarves are more technologically advanced than humans, and humans in wesnoth seem to be at about the 12th century technologically (although there are some anachronisms), I think it makes sense for dwarves to have very primitive guns.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Herkum

Post by Herkum »

I was thinking about the Dwarves and this "Healing Magic" thing. If Dwarves are so resilient and do not need healing magic as much. How about they get 3 HP back for standing still instead of 2?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

That makes sense, but might be unbalancing.
scott

Post by scott »

Remember that as far as I understand TWP, magic is implicit, which can be reflected in their HP and resistance. Resting giving 3 HP could be a nice subtle touch. Romnajin, you missed your chance: OWFRA on the guns!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

I think that if you go along with the idea of dwarfs as a ferocious fighters, they would resent the idea of being healed, as they are "too tough" to need help. I like them just the way they are, if you place a magical unit in them, you'll be ruining it all. They are tough, smelly, dwarfs that are too technologically advanced to use magic. Give them a doctor or something like that.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

That is why they should have a natural extra rest hp.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

but that would mean that they, as a race, heal quickly. I don't think this is typical of dwarfs in most games and movies. Sure, it doesn't have to be, I realize that that isn't the goal of Wesnoth, but I think there would be some resentmant from some people if that was done. Why not a doctor unit, like I suggested? It is a non magical unit, uses more advanced technology, and a dwarf with a doctors hat on would look funny :P
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.