[mainline] Voice acting ?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
theuncertainman

Re: [mainline] Voice acting ?

Post by theuncertainman »

Great :)
Let me know if you need any changes, or new lines.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

The_Gnat wrote: June 8th, 2018, 8:22 am Awesome! Thank you all the lines sound really great! I think I will use the 3rd version of the "scout report..." :D

I will update the git-hub repository! :)

Do you think it is justified to release a new version now?
What will be the changes included if a new version is released now? Where can we see change history of this project?

Some random questions:
Which dialogs have a possibility of a female unit saying it? I will try to get my female friends to record female dialogs for lines that can be spoken by female units.
Also, The_Gnat, I'm curious, what kind of method have you been using to eliminate breathing? Next campaign I'm going to start trying to use audio editing software on my recordings before sending them and also I will send straight to the repository.
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

max_torch wrote: June 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm Also, The_Gnat, I'm curious, what kind of method have you been using to eliminate breathing? Next campaign I'm going to start trying to use audio editing software on my recordings before sending them and also I will send straight to the repository.
Noise Reduction on Audacity is a godsend. Apply a Noise Profile to the breathing area and then CTRL+A, CTRL+R, and apply it again to select areas as required. :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: June 8th, 2018, 7:35 pm
max_torch wrote: June 8th, 2018, 4:06 pm Also, The_Gnat, I'm curious, what kind of method have you been using to eliminate breathing? Next campaign I'm going to start trying to use audio editing software on my recordings before sending them and also I will send straight to the repository.
Noise Reduction on Audacity is a godsend. Apply a Noise Profile to the breathing area and then CTRL+A, CTRL+R, and apply it again to select areas as required. :)

Yes that is what I have been doing. :D It pretty easily eliminates noise especially if you use apply the same profile more than once.

Though I haven't extensively been through the files and still need equalize their volume levels, when I have time.

Also if you check out the git-hub repository you can see all the changes so far. Under the "commits" section it will list changes (as well as in the folders and files telling what has been updated).
theuncertainman wrote: June 8th, 2018, 7:35 pmWhich dialogs have a possibility of a female unit saying it? I will try to get my female friends to record female dialogs for lines that can be spoken by female units.
There are some, but I don't know if it would be worth the effort to record lines which would rarely be used. :) I personally feel that while it could be done the randomness of the role choosing would make it unpredictable and therefore often pointless. For example when I played the campaign I didn't encounter any women.

Also because so many units don't have female variants (spearman,bowman,horseman) and these units are key characters in the story, it would be not altogether necessary. However, if instead we were making a campaign with elves then I would see female voices as absolutely necessary because the elves are 50% female if not more. :) Instead I can make a small modification to the code to ensure that women are displayed during the speech events. Which should be easy because most of the time it is just the main characters talking.

That being said I am not opposed to you getting recordings for female voices if you want to. :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I have now released a new version of the add-on. I haven't had much time recently so I decided just to upload what we do have with the reduced noises and new filters. (It should be upload by the end of the hour)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 1:44 am I remade some lines that have a lot of breathing in the first scenario. Check them out.
Hello, I was listening through some of the scenarios again and noticed that some of the story text done by Arvith and Baran from the journal has a lot of background noise. I wanted to increase their volume because a few are too quite but because of the background noise it sounded weird when I did. I tried using audacity to remove the background noise but was unable to for a few (ex. scenario 4 baran 1&2) so thought that whenever you have time maybe you could have a look and see if you can improve them any! :D
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

The_Gnat wrote: July 12th, 2018, 1:15 am
max_torch wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 1:44 am I remade some lines that have a lot of breathing in the first scenario. Check them out.
Hello, I was listening through some of the scenarios again and noticed that some of the story text done by Arvith and Baran from the journal has a lot of background noise. I wanted to increase their volume because a few are too quite but because of the background noise it sounded weird when I did. I tried using audacity to remove the background noise but was unable to for a few (ex. scenario 4 baran 1&2) so thought that whenever you have time maybe you could have a look and see if you can improve them any! :D
I'll work on this in a few days.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: July 12th, 2018, 4:09 pm
I'll work on this in a few days.

Great! and yeah no rush. :)
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I didn't have to rerecord voiceovers. Using audacity, I was able to remove the background noise from the story voiceovers that had it by selecting a silent region of the audio, generating a noise profile, then applying the noise profile to the entire track with the noise reduction level set to the max 48dB. It works quite well. I did a pass of fixing up the story intro audio files wherein I eliminated breathing sounds, lip smacks, clicks, and normalized the volume.

@The_Gnat
I made an account on GitHub. I went to GitHub to try to upload audio files and make a new branch in the Tale of Two Brothers project with the updated story audio but I think I don't have access to contribute to the repository.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: July 19th, 2018, 12:21 pm I didn't have to rerecord voiceovers. Using audacity, I was able to remove the background noise from the story voiceovers that had it by selecting a silent region of the audio, generating a noise profile, then applying the noise profile to the entire track with the noise reduction level set to the max 48dB. It works quite well. I did a pass of fixing up the story intro audio files wherein I eliminated breathing sounds, lip smacks, clicks, and normalized the volume.
Awesome! :D That is great. It is really good to have the audio normalized and without any extra sounds.
@The_Gnat
I made an account on GitHub. I went to GitHub to try to upload audio files and make a new branch in the Tale of Two Brothers project with the updated story audio but I think I don't have access to contribute to the repository.
Just PM me your GitHub name and I will add you as a contributor! :D
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Just uploaded to github. You can check it now to see if changes are good.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi All! Thanks to max_torch we now have a new release for the add-on!! It is now Version 1.0 stable and really good!!!!

Thank you to Heindal, max_torch, and theuncertainman for all their help putting this together!!!!

The English voice pack has been updated and audio largely improved! :D

Please let me know if you notice any bugs and tell me if you are interested in recording any other languages for this add-on!!!
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: [mainline] A Tale of Two Brothers v1.0

Post by max_torch »

The_Gnat wrote: July 27th, 2018, 10:58 pm Hi All! Thanks to max_torch we now have a new release for the add-on!! It is now Version 1.0 stable and really good!!!!

Thank you to Heindal, max_torch, and theuncertainman for all their help putting this together!!!!

The English voice pack has been updated and audio largely improved! :D

Please let me know if you notice any bugs and tell me if you are interested in recording any other languages for this add-on!!!
To all the users, please give feedback , report your experience, and tell us if you're interested in voice acting in the future. This add-on will be maintained.

Known bugs in this release:
  • In the last scenario Reeve Hoban's voiceover doesn't play
  • Clicking on skip during any scenario's story intro while the voiceover is playing does not immediately stop the voiceover. The voiceover that was playing while skip was clicked will continue playing until it ends.
The_Gnat

Re: [mainline] A Tale of Two Brothers v1.0

Post by The_Gnat »

max_torch wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:45 am Known bugs in this release:
  • In the last scenario Reeve Hoban's voiceover doesn't play
  • Clicking on skip during any scenario's story intro while the voiceover is playing does not immediately stop the voiceover. The voiceover that was playing while skip was clicked will continue playing until it ends.
I tested Reeve Hoban before uploading and it seems to work for me ? :hmm:
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Please could some other people try it and feedback if reeve hoban works? He's in the last scenario. Maybe there's just something wrong with my files such that reeve hoban doesn't play