[mainline] Voice acting ?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Re: [mainline] Voice acting ?

Post by max_torch »

@thegnat:
You didnt miss any files, I missed some lines, and missed uploading some recordings. Here, tell me if there are more missing.
Attachments
arvithturnsover.wma
(57.48 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
adeptturnsover.wma
(53.09 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
AToTB2_voice3.zip
(853.76 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
mordaknomoreturns.wma
(110.1 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay great thank you for that!! Everything is proceeding quite well hopefully it will be done in the next few weeks!
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

Hey guys,

Just in case you ever need some generic lines for units I've got a freesound page with plenty of them - https://freesound.org/people/theuncertainman/
I'm also free to voice any small roles. I'm armed with an AT2020USB+. Just message me if you need anything. :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: May 7th, 2018, 9:43 pm Hey guys,

Just in case you ever need some generic lines for units I've got a freesound page with plenty of them - https://freesound.org/people/theuncertainman/
I'm also free to voice any small roles. I'm armed with an AT2020USB+. Just message me if you need anything. :)
Great thank you very much I definitely will let you know if we do! :D

Those freesounds are really good I will definitely use some of them!

* Also for anyone interested we could definitely use other translations voice acting! :)
theuncertainman

Awesome :)

I speak some Norwegian, so I could do a few Norsk lines if it was ever needed.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: May 15th, 2018, 9:17 am Awesome :)

I speak some Norwegian, so I could do a few Norsk lines if it was ever needed.
If you want you can record the English voice for the elf Nil-Galion in scenario 2. I think it would be good to have a unique accent for the elf so if you have any ideas on what an elf should sound like that would be great :)
Nil-Galion Lines
speaker=Nil-Galion
message= _ "You there! Halt and explain yourself."
speaker=Nil-Galion
message= _ "Those men told me their prisoner had attempted to murder their master, and warned that evil men would follow him. Advance no further, or you will die."
speaker=Nil-Galion
message= _ "Foolish human, you have killed me but you will not catch the undead in time. I have fulfilled my contract, and will be reanimated soon to become a lord of their armies."

Other than that we have pretty much covered all the lines in the scenario and hopefully I can finish it soon. :D
theuncertainman

Hey,

Here's my first draft of Nil-Galion. Let me know how you feel about the voice, the delivery, etc.
Sadly the recording levels were a bit iffy. I recently moved to Windows 10 and my AT2020USB+ seems to be behaving very strangely.

Cheers.
Attachments
3 Foolish human you have killed me.ogg
(701.27 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
2 Those men told me their prisoner.ogg
(592.43 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
1 You there!.ogg
(192.05 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Nice to see that this project is still running. :P
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Heindal wrote: May 20th, 2018, 9:00 am Nice to see that this project is still running. :P
Thank you! Yes with persistence anything can be done. ;) Stay tuned for the next release soon to come with voices for all the dialogue. (So far just english)
theuncertainman wrote: May 18th, 2018, 12:56 pm Hey,

Here's my first draft of Nil-Galion. Let me know how you feel about the voice, the delivery, etc.
Sadly the recording levels were a bit iffy. I recently moved to Windows 10 and my AT2020USB+ seems to be behaving very strangely.

Cheers.
Excellent that is exactly what I was looking for!! :D Thank you very much!
theuncertainman

Oh cool. Are you sure I can't make any changes for you? Haha I recorded these rather quickly.

Let me know if you need anything else. :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: May 25th, 2018, 9:28 pm Oh cool. Are you sure I can't make any changes for you? Haha I recorded these rather quickly.

Let me know if you need anything else. :)
I have nearly finished everything now. Max torch has already recorded the adept in scenario 2 already but if you would like to give a try recording his lines in a evil sounding voice that might work better for the character of the necro-apprentice.
Lines for Muff Toras
speaker=Muff Toras
message= _ "Curses! If they had been an hour slower our master’s reinforcements would already be here to meet us."
speaker=Muff Toras
message= _ "Hah! You have captured me, but it will avail you nothing. I sent your precious brother the mage north with half my men a day since; he will be safely locked away in our master’s dungeons by now."
speaker=Muff Toras
message= _ "Three days ride to the northeast, in a deserted castle. The passwords to the guards are."
speaker=Muff Toras
message= _ "My reinforcements are here!"
When you finish with that then i will upload the add-on! :D
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I hope they are evil enough for you ^^.
Attachments
Muff-Toras4.ogg
(74.09 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Muff-Toras3.ogg
(122.06 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Muff-Toras2.ogg
(300.87 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Muff-Toras1.ogg
(137.57 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome !! Thank you very much Heindal! That is great! :D

Okay so by the time you read this post the add-on will be uploaded on the 1.14 add-on server!!

The new add-on is only available in 1.13/1.14 because of the new voice code that has been implemented.

Please test it and tell me how it works!

Note: only English dialogue is currently available. Along with the Two Brothers [+voice] campaign the Tale of Two Brothers English sound pack needs to be downloaded.
theuncertainman

The_Gnat wrote: May 27th, 2018, 6:53 am Awesome !! Thank you very much Heindal! That is great! :D

Okay so by the time you read this post the add-on will be uploaded on the 1.14 add-on server!!

The new add-on is only available in 1.13/1.14 because of the new voice code that has been implemented.

Please test it and tell me how it works!

Note: only English dialogue is currently available. Along with the Two Brothers [+voice] campaign the Tale of Two Brothers English sound pack needs to be downloaded.
Awesome! Hope to contribute more in future!
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Just finished playing AToTB+voice in order to experience the voice over. Here are my thoughts:
  • In the "diaries" of the characters it would sound better if it's voiced by the characters themselves. Do I have the greenlight to record the lines for this?
  • During the start of scenario narrations I think it's better to just have the voiceover play once instead of repeating and just let the player use the arrow buttons to go back and forth if he wants to hear the voice over again
  • The volumes of all the voiceovers need to be adjusted to have consistent loudness level
  • Can anyone teach us how to avoid or edit out the breathing sound when recording voiceover? And any other fancy computer editing of the voice? I don't even know what good software to use for recording and editing the voice
  • I'm pretty sure a lot of the lines have to be rerecorded or edited or voiced by someone better in order to reach mainline quality
  • So far, it doesn't seem buggy and worked flawlessly
Now that we've had a small taste, I definitely would love to see all campaigns get good voice acting!
Let's focus on improving this campaign so that it can become the model for the quality we want with fanning out to other campaigns.
More volunteers will always be appreciated so that we have more variety of character voices.

P.S. @Heindall - your narrations remind me of the narrator in the campaigns of the turn-based strategy game Disciples 2 ^_^
Last edited by max_torch on May 30th, 2018, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.