Context Submenu for faster Recruiting

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Otengam

Context Submenu for faster Recruiting

Post by Otengam »

To make it faster to recruit units a good idea might be to have the context menu (right-clicking on a fortress tile) for "Recruit Unit" to open a submenu with the different units available. At the top of this submenu would be the main Recruit window option and below would be the subsequent available units to choose.

I know that some people would just use the shortcut key to open the main Recruit window but having a submenu would (in my opinion) save unnecessary clicks especially for non-beginners. I think the main downside (aside from the effort by developers) would be easier misclicks onto the wrong unit however the time and clicks saved could be worth it since non-beginners generally don't need the description information any more.

Edit:Topic title
tekelili

Re: Context Submenu for faster Recruiting

Post by tekelili »

I guess I didnt understand you, because I think you are asking for something already developed... I always recruit with right-click context menu :o
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Otengam

Re: Context Submenu for faster Recruiting

Post by Otengam »

The right click context menu looks something like this:

Code: Select all

Undo
Terrain Description
Set Label
Clear Label
Recruit Unit
Recall Unit
What I'm proposing is that the context menu will include a submenu (menu within a menu).

Code: Select all

Undo
Terrain Description
Set Label
Clear Label
Recruit Unit       >     Recruit Window
                         Bowman
                         Cavalryman
                         Spearman
Recall Unit
So that when you move your mouse over "Recruit Unit" it will open a context window on the right with those options without needing to open the main Recruit Window.
You would be able to:
Right click -> Move mouse over "Recruit Unit" -> Move mouse over "Bowman" and left click.
This would save time and mouse clicks because normally you would need to:
Right click -> Left Click "Recruit Unit" -> Wait for Recruit Window -> Left Click Unit -> Left Click "Ok"/Double left click Unit

In some scenarios, you might even need to scroll the Recruit Window to find a unit but having just the unit name (without the description/cost etc) makes the unit list less long so you might not even need to scroll.

To me, a submenu just seems much more user friendly if you already know you want a "Bowman" for example.