[mainline] SilverMage nerf

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Ranger

[mainline] SilverMage nerf

Post by Ranger »

I suggest to increase the cost of teleport ability to 6 mp, so he cant move after teleporting and have to rest a turn after he reached a village before using it.
Explanation
So, let me get this right: while this unit has an ability that allows him to cross the entire map at the cost of 1 MP, he even has 6mp(as opposed to Archmage line with 5mp) so he would be even more OP, if that wasnt enough?
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: [mainline] SilverMage nerf

Post by Ravana »

It is not static 1mp. The cost is same as is for moving to target hex with usual way.

However about nerf.. after all, this unit should be useful to compensate for much lower damage.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Wow, why you came up to this? Some special map were silver mages were especially effective?
Silver mageS sounds almost as a nonsense.
I am against such idea. Teleportation is not so useful ability, cause If you control map, you control it without such tricks.
Teleportation obviosly can be used to retreat only, not for taking other villages.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on May 3rd, 2015, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Ravana wrote:It is not static 1mp. The cost is same as is for moving to target hex with usual way.

However about nerf.. after all, this unit should be useful to compensate for much lower damage.
Well, the difference in damage of 12 points VS it's 50/50 resists and teleport ability, I dont feel like particulary inclined to choose ArchMage.
Aldarisvet wrote:Wow, why you came up to this? Some special map were silver mages were especially effrctive?
Silver mageS sounds almost as a nonsense.
I am against such idea. Teleportation is not so useful ability, cause If you contol map, you control it without such tricks.
Teleportation obviosly can be used to retreat only, not for taking other villages.
Noted.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ranger wrote:Well, the difference in damage of 12 points VS it's 50/50 resists and teleport ability, I dont feel like particulary inclined to choose ArchMage.
You're forgetting that the Arch Mage has more hitpoints (54 vs 48), which is useful against non fire or cold attacks, and that the Arch Mage can advance as Great Mage.
Ranger wrote:so he would be even more OP
Do you have any replay showing that the Silver Mage is indeed overpowered?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Ranger wrote:Well, the difference in damage of 12 points VS it's 50/50 resists and teleport ability, I dont feel like particulary inclined to choose ArchMage.
You're forgetting that the Arch Mage has more hitpoints (54 vs 48), which is useful against non fire or cold attacks, and that the Arch Mage can advance as Great Mage.
Yes I'm aware that AM has 6 more hp, but since SM is not a kind of unit that is usually exposed to much damage (at least types he cannot resist) this doesnt impare much his use. I would even say the SM is a safer bet since the moment he reaches a village he can escape deep behind your lines to heal.
However tempting more damage might seem, in my experience one can get plenty of that from 1lvl fodder.
And Yes, he can advance to a GreatMage. Can. If you feed him 220(176)XP that can be used to get 2x Red and 2x White mages in your recall list ;)
So lets just compare same level units here.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Ranger wrote:so he would be even more OP
Do you have any replay showing that the Silver Mage is indeed overpowered?
Unfortunately ,for better or for worse, I cannot bragg to have leveled up a SilverMage in any of my MP games, and neither I've seen any reply of doing so. I suggest to talk here exclusively from mainline campaigns point of view.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Ranger wrote: I suggest to talk here exclusively from mainline campaigns point of view.
Well and what is that scenario were you saw silver mage overpowered?
I am really curious, bacause I didn not finish all mainline campaigns, I skipped some Novice and Intermediate-level campaigns, going to expert asap.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains