Change village on minimap

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Change village on minimap

Post by max_torch »

Hi all I have a suggestion. Make the village on the minimap distinct from the units. Right now in 1.12 they are both colored squares and when we look at the minimap with village drawing and unit drawing toggled on we cannot distinguish between units and villages. Maybe a small house picture over where the village is or a circle rather than a square to represent a village.
Swiss_Army_Cheese

Re: Change village on minimap

Post by Swiss_Army_Cheese »

While it has been a while since I have actually played Wesnoth, I do recall having a problem in distinguishing between units and villages. One thing I try and do at the start of every level is scan the map for villages and enemies, which becomes rather difficult if at first glance I can't tell the units from the villages.
What's the current way to tell difference, a different shade of a colour a particular side has? That's not enough of a difference as I keep having to relearn what colour is each enemy's village after every round.

I strongly approve of this suggestion, although drawing a miniture picture of a house may proove difficult with out current technology so we may have to settle for either turning the houses into Circles or turning every unit on the minimap into a swordsman.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

fabi, I think it was, said that he intended to make the units on the minimap circles and leave the villages as rectangles. He just didn't get around to it before it had to get done to make it into 1.12. So, it's been noted by the developers and should make it into the game at some point.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Swiss_Army_Cheese wrote: December 27th, 2014, 10:05 am I strongly approve of this suggestion, although drawing a miniture picture of a house may proove difficult with out current technology so we may have to settle for either turning the houses into Circles or turning every unit on the minimap into a swordsman.
A house just an irregular hexagon though? You just need to draw a square and a triangle. Maybe turn the units into circles to make them even more distinct from the villages.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

On really really large maps (Dominus 200x200) I think the units/villes may actually be single pixels... : ) Something to note.

I have taken to turning off the villages in order to help. If I need to locate villages on the minimap I toggle units off and vills on.