(?) to sort the recruiting list otherwise

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Eagle_11

(?) to sort the recruiting list otherwise

Post by Eagle_11 »

I just noticed that whatever way you structure an faction's recruit list items inside will appear ingame sorted in alphabetical order always.
However i would rather like to sort the list like (top to down) melee inf, leader, cannonfodder, ranged inf, utility, healer, scout, cavalry, allies, flyers, swimmers.
Is there any way else to do that besides changing lvl1 units ingame name to feature A - ,B - ,C -... so they get sorted accordingly ?
As for i have posted this here: Ive found strange such a thing has not been considered before ?
iceiceice

Re: (?) to sort the recruiting list otherwise

Post by iceiceice »

So, I don't know if the engine uses unit type's "name" or "id" to decide sorting... actually I would guess that it is the id. I do know that when the game stores a recruit command in a replay, it just stores the *number* corresponding to the position of that unit type in the recruit list. If the recruit list is alphabetical according to name, then since this is a translatable string it would require extra programming overhead to correct for the fact that people might be using different languages. So my guess is it uses the (internal) id string used to represent the unit in wml. So you could alphabetize those as you suggest to impose the order you want. E.g. your unit id's could be "Eagle_mod_A_Elf_Fighter", "Eagle_mod_B_Elf_Archer", ... Anyways it would be easy to do a test and see if this works.

Bear in mind, though, that not everyone thinks about the units of the army the same way, and some people might be subtly annoyed by having different viewpoints imposed on them. Alphabetic order always makes it easy and intuitive to figure out where the units will be. (Maybe less so for non-english speakers though, if my assumption above is correct?)

It might be a nice feature to allow users to reshuffle their recruit list as they like. I would think that this could be done strictly in the interface without changing the entries in the recruit list or introducing potential for OOS in some other way.

But usually the recruit list is not long so it is quite easy to find what you want anyways... it sounds like a feature that would not add much tbh.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

im pretty sure, that currently the translated unit name is used for sorting.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's by id.

That is how I got the Gunpowder Age to sort it's list.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

in that case i am eigher extemely lucky that german aphabetical order is the same as the id order in mainline (which is quite unlikely ), or we are talking about different versions.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

After a quick test they have changed that. At one point it was based on id name and I used that to organise Gunpowder Age (into infantry, artillery, cavalry, and navy). But it isn't that way now.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.