[UMC] Campaign idea focusing on asymmetrical warfare

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
gooby

[UMC] Campaign idea focusing on asymmetrical warfare

Post by gooby »

I have an idea in embryo for a user-maintained campaign. Wesnoth has a lot of opportunities for unconventional warfare, especially as regards human scofflaws like the Poacher line who fight well in swamps, etc. Nonetheless, there's an element of asymmetrical warfare that's generally missing from mechanics, if not plots, from what I can tell. That is the element of the side that is superior in training and equipment alienating civilians with their heavy-handed tactics and turning them into supporters or even fighters for the underdog. This has been in some campaign plots, like that of Liberty, but it hasn't been mechanically integrated into the campaign. So, to be clear, what I am proposing is a campaign where you are fighting a very superior opponent, with mostly Lvl 2 and higher units, in large numbers, too. But they are handicapped by the fact that the actions they take lead to a lot of alienation in the people. As the player of the campaign, you can take actions to aid this process of alienation that is useful for your purposes, maybe even dirty ones, like using civilians as a shield in the way that the Vietcong did. Add to this the other elements of guerrilla warfare that have cropped up in Wesnoth from time to time, like terrain advantages for your side, and I think you would have a really interesting UMC or maybe even mainline campaign.
Last edited by gooby on April 12th, 2013, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elfarion

Re: [UMC] Campaign idea focusing on asymmetrical warfare

Post by Elfarion »

This sounds awesome! I imagine, it could be done by implementing certain conditions that change future scenarios. So your decisions and their consequences would influence other parties' behaviour. I am not familiar with coding scenarios, so I can't tell how it would be done specifically, though.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

There are lot of units and skills that would be perfect for such campaign (conceal, poison, backstab, ambush etc.) as properly used they'd allow to defeat technically stronger foe.
Also, stealing villages (reminiscent of IRL cutting supplies) is already a viable tactic in Wesnoth.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
gooby

Post by gooby »

Shinobody wrote:There are lot of units and skills that would be perfect for such campaign (conceal, poison, backstab, ambush etc.) as properly used they'd allow to defeat technically stronger foe.
Also, stealing villages (reminiscent of IRL cutting supplies) is already a viable tactic in Wesnoth.
Cutting supplies is a facet of just about any war. At a strategic if not tactical level, WWII (Pacific Theater) was as conventional as any other war and a major part of our victory was just ... strangling the resource-bare nation of Japan. By the end, they had amazingly diminished access to oil, rubber, ammunition, even food if I remember correctly. It might well have been possible to win easily at that point without dropping the atom bomb, but that's another story...

Anyway, conceal, poison, etc. are great. What I am talking about though is something not captured in those abilities: alienation of the civilians working in favor of the underdog.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

How about something like this?
"Guerilla" factions would be unable to recruit units in keeps, or capture villages - instead, they'd be able to get troops from villages, though selection would be random. To compensate, it'd allow to get units normally unavailable - loyal, or already experienced. Also, villages visited by guerillas would start sending income to them, yet without being actually captured - they'd still belong to player who had them before, and send them income too. Only way for "organised" player to get villages to stop helping guerillas would be to visit them with troops (as if to get rid of collaborators).
Also, instead of a single leader, guerillas could start with multiple (only for purpose of winning conditions) as to symbolise how hard is to fully destroy decentralised militias.

If we'd want to go deeper, there could be some kind of "reputation" mechanism which would change with some actions (e.g. ability to pernamently raze villages from map, or force level 0 civilians to join you for free - would decrease reputation, while capturing/visiting villages would increase it). Reputation would influence recruitment prices for both "organised" and "guerilla" factions, and quality of availible recruits for guerillas. Both sides could also use special untis that can influence the reputation (similar to real-world propaganda). Such mechanism could show how reliant guerillas would be on support of local population.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
gooby

Post by gooby »

Something like that, but of course there should also be opportunities for the superior force to aggravate the villagers. (Including opportunities for you, the player, to goad them into doing so.)
taptap

Post by taptap »

gooby wrote:Cutting supplies is a facet of just about any war.
Yes, just one very hard to integrate in a game like Wesnoth. I found WiF (World War II board game) has a great way to do supply - but I wouldn't want it in Wesnoth.

Imo asymmetrical warfare is best done with L0 / L1 mix in special terrain, swamps for saurians or poachers, forests for elves - and it already happens in many scenarios. Say Northern Rebirth 1st scenario, Invasion from the Unknown 2nd scenario, Legends of Wesmere (when you start with Kalenz and without your recalls) against L2 enemies, several scenarios in Panther Lord, Dead Water 1st scenario, The Roar of the Woses - several scenarios and probably many more. In a way you can say most of Battle for Wesnoth is asymmetrical warfare, because you often have disadvantage in strength but advantage in terrain, initiative.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
gooby

Post by gooby »

I'm not just talking about the rock-paper-scissors model. I'm talking about alienation. See above.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Sounds great, but a question:

these civilians - are they units you recruit/find on a map or are they "creep" units? I personally have no objection to these, but I can see how a new computer player with a different AI which controls the units which do not belong to one player or another might be difficult to code.

Had and idea myself for a map in which unoccupied villages recruit peasants, woodsmen, etc... while mountains/forests recruit wolves or outlaw units and so on, pretty much at random, not every turn. These units would defend themselves if attacked and might side with one player for various reasons. Your style of play might determine which type of "natural" unit sides with you. I gave up becasue I'm a lazy and desponent git :doh:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

One of Bob the Mighty's old (1.4) multiplayer scenarios, "A Nation Betrayed", claims to feature "a special village-loyalty system, allowing players to generate funds and swing the support of the townships in their favour" as insurgents rise up against their king.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Cities of the Frontier has a lot of very useful code, including stuff to make wild animals and bandits (as I recall, it uses 13 sides, most of which are empty on turn one). Invaders in THoT and Northern Outpost in EI both spawn enemies when villages are captured, while Liberty has villager units. A New Land has code for making special abilities and modifying terrain. It shouldn't be too hard to combine these.

The system I'm imagining would use variables something like this:
Spoiler:
The overall effect should be to create wild animals that attack everyone who gets close, bandits who attack everyone and try to capture villages, guerillas who attack specific teams and try to capture villages, and villagers who try to defend their homes.