[mainline] About drakes.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ChaosRider

[mainline] About drakes.

Post by ChaosRider »

My problem is why drakes/saurians got higher than 20% terrain defense in frozen places as ice or snow (i dont mean this with forest or with hills)? They should have 20% or even less - 10%. I guess they hate cold what we can see of that units resistances. My idea is to decrease this two race terrain defense in ice and snow terrain.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
TheScribe

Re: About drakes.

Post by TheScribe »

AFAIK, the Drakes have a magical inner fire that lets them live in the coldest of climates without freezing or getting cold. And as for the Saurians, it might have something to do with them being cold-blooded. (and of course, there's always balance)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

And as for the Saurians, it might have something to do with them being cold-blooded.
Nope, that's not it. Cold-blooded animals cannot survive the extreme cold, as pers the extract:
Asker wrote:Not so much uncomfortable, as they tend to become nonfunctional and those who can hibernate will go into a dormant state, and those that can't, will die! You can make honey-bees [cold blooded too, not just reptiles!] fall asleep by lowering the temperature to about 38 F or 4 C. Doesn't hurt them, they just fall asleep and will remain that way until 1) they die of starvation or 2) it warms up. Quite a few of these cold-blooded creatures do not have the pain and heat sensors that humans have, therefore do not find heat or cold as bothersome as we might think. Cold doesn't hurt them as much as simply shut them down. When it gets too hot for them, like lizards in a desert, they must get in shade of a rock or plant, else they'll overheat and simply die!
So, this explains the negative resistance to fire and cold. I still can't make out the fact they have 40% on frozen but 4MP cost on frozen terrain. They should have at most 20%. :hmm:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

But Drake Glider and his next lvls got 40% and higher being in snow/ice terrain, same as he is in dessert...
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

ChaosRider wrote:But Drake Glider and his next lvls got 40% and higher being in snow/ice terrain, same as he is in dessert...
Well, drake gliders carry little or no armor, so they don't have trouble moving around. Hence, the relatively higher defense.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

ChaosRider wrote:My problem is why drakes/saurians got higher than 20% terrain defense in frozen places as ice or snow (i dont mean this with forest or with hills)?
Well, most drakes do not have higher than 20% defense on ice and snow. The exceptions are the drake glider line -- the drakes who largely ignore terrain due to their skill at flying (similar to bats and gryphons in this respect). Saurians are described as "very, very agile", represented by having a defense that is +10 over what humans get in some terrains. This includes frozen.

So I suppose the answer is: most don't, some fly, and others are agile enough to ice skate / leap through snow.

That being said, where is your thorough research? You are suggesting a balance change to a multiplayer faction, and as you surely read:
MUST-READ wrote:Default multiplayer is balanced! The default multiplayer era (consisting of Loyalists, Rebels, Northerners, Knalgan, Drakes, and Undead) is almost perfectly balanced. Any suggestions that want to change this balance are almost guaranteed to be instantly shot down. If you attempt such a suggestion, you had better provide thorough research.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ChaosRider wrote:But Drake Glider and his next lvls got 40% and higher being in snow/ice terrain, same as he is in dessert...
If it helps, you could see it as though they are fighting amidst an ice cream landscape then.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
And as for the Saurians, it might have something to do with them being cold-blooded.
Nope, that's not it. Cold-blooded animals cannot survive the extreme cold, as pers the extract:
Asker wrote:Not so much uncomfortable, as they tend to become nonfunctional and those who can hibernate will go into a dormant state, and those that can't, will die! You can make honey-bees [cold blooded too, not just reptiles!] fall asleep by lowering the temperature to about 38 F or 4 C. Doesn't hurt them, they just fall asleep and will remain that way until 1) they die of starvation or 2) it warms up. Quite a few of these cold-blooded creatures do not have the pain and heat sensors that humans have, therefore do not find heat or cold as bothersome as we might think. Cold doesn't hurt them as much as simply shut them down. When it gets too hot for them, like lizards in a desert, they must get in shade of a rock or plant, else they'll overheat and simply die!
So, this explains the negative resistance to fire and cold. I still can't make out the fact they have 40% on frozen but 4MP cost on frozen terrain. They should have at most 20%. :hmm:
Wow, really wasn't thinking there. Duh... :doh:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: [mainline] About drakes.

Post by Gambit »

Changes to multiplayer balance really shouldn't be made for flavor reasons.