[interface] screenshots and other ideas

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Toadstool

[interface] screenshots and other ideas

Post by Toadstool »

Hi, i have a some ideas for the game.

The first idea is a "screenshot" option to be implemented in the game and the editor, that generates a picture graphic file (lets say png) from the entire map.
(I felt the need for this opiton as I wanted to abuse the Wesnoth Editor to make a map for a Pen&Paper Roleplaying Game. Wesnoth does this far better than any P&P Map Editor out there, except for the missing "export as png" option. It might also be useful for online documentation of the game)

Second... a "recruit" button hovering over the hexes of the caste where you can recruit new units. (The button should be visible as long as no unit is selected, rightclicking the recuit-button should recall units).

Third... a "help / unit description" button in the game lobby while selecting the leader.

Foruth... if you want to play a "skimish against the computer" you have to use the hotseat mulitplayer and then manually switch every playerslot to AI. There should be a conveniece option to fill all Slots exept the first with AI players.

Fifth... A "highlight villages" option, that simply makes the a glowing border or something around villages. (Especially unoccupied villages can often be overlooked by new players. I'm thinking of windmills and stone-iglus)

Sixth... An indicator at each unit, like a little + or - that shows if alignment and daytime increase or decrease the attack power. (Again this is something for new players which don't know every unit and their alignment in the game yet.)

Seventh... A gameending "Titan" unit that is very expensive and powerful. Especially on large maps, Wesnoth becomes extremly slow to play. For example, you play a 8 player game and dominate 60% of the large map. 5 players have been killed, 2 enemies remain, each controlling 20%. Your income is that high that you can (and should) recruit 5 new units every day, which will only see combat if the two remaining enemies do extraordinary good and have much luck. Your enemies however won't be able to beat you, cause whatever they do, they can't kill 6 units each day. Victory is only a matter of time, yet in order to achieve it, you have to spawn your 5 units a day, which mean extra units to mange, thus prolonging the game even more. A way around this could be a Titan Unit, a unit that is extremly costy, so it can only be bought during such a situation. (Maybe they are only availible from special keeps in the center of the map as an additional tactical option). I'm aware this is not directly an interface idea, but my point is to reduce the "confusion" of massed armies. There might be other ways to solve this, the Titan is just one possibility.

Eighth... Adjustable ccollspeed for middle-mouse-button-scolling
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [interface] screenshots and other ideas

Post by zookeeper »

Toadstool wrote:The first idea is a "screenshot" option to be implemented in the game and the editor, that generates a picture graphic file (lets say png) from the entire map.
(I felt the need for this opiton as I wanted to abuse the Wesnoth Editor to make a map for a Pen&Paper Roleplaying Game. Wesnoth does this far better than any P&P Map Editor out there, except for the missing "export as png" option. It might also be useful for online documentation of the game)
In file->preferences->general->hotkeys there's an entry for "Map screenshot". Bind a key to it and you can take a whole-map screenshot that way.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Toadstool wrote: Sixth... An indicator at each unit, like a little + or - that shows if alignment and daytime increase or decrease the attack power. (Again this is something for new players which don't know every unit and their alignment in the game yet.)
This is displayed in the right bar, having it show up on the map as well could make the map become quite cluttered.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Toadstool wrote:Second... a "recruit" button hovering over the hexes of the caste where you can recruit new units. (The button should be visible as long as no unit is selected, rightclicking the recuit-button should recall units).
Yuck. Having a continuous generic text overlay on the map is a horrible idea. There is nothing like this currently cluttering the map. Forcing continuous textual overlays detracts from the immersion and hard work graphic designers have put into making sprites look good. Additionally, it would make moving newly recruited units more awkward and prone to annoying error, as in accidentally clicking "Recruit" when you just wanted to select the unit.
Toadstool wrote:Foruth... if you want to play a "skimish against the computer" you have to use the hotseat mulitplayer and then manually switch every playerslot to AI. There should be a conveniece option to fill all Slots exept the first with AI players.
While more options is rarely a bad thing, this seems particularly frivolous and pandering. I enjoy playing hotseat games with my human friends, so I like the current setup. I am sure many who play hotseat games feel the same. What makes your play style so superior as to merit additional developer consideration?
Toadstool wrote:Fifth... A "highlight villages" option, that simply makes the a glowing border or something around villages. (Especially unoccupied villages can often be overlooked by new players. I'm thinking of windmills and stone-iglus)
Windmills, by default, are not villages. Not sure what an "iglus" is, but it's no village I've heard of. But as to your idea itself, if an entirely different terrain graphic doesn't give them away, what makes you think a little glow will do it? Perhaps a red flashing biohazard warning should be affixed to each village, with an accompanying siren?
Toadstool wrote:Seventh... A gameending "Titan" unit that is very expensive and powerful.
Feel free to make whatever sort of unit you want. But be aware, even the most powerful unit in the game can only attack one unit per turn.
Toadstool wrote:Eighth... Adjustable ccollspeed for middle-mouse-button-scolling
This isn't possible through adjusting scroll speed in Preferences?
alluton

Post by alluton »

Insinuator wrote:
Toadstool wrote:Seventh... A gameending "Titan" unit that is very expensive and powerful.
Feel free to make whatever sort of unit you want. But be aware, even the most powerful unit in the game can only attack one unit per turn.

Infact unit is possible to attack more than once per turn.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

alluton wrote:Infact unit is possible to attack more than once per turn.
How?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Insinuator wrote:Not sure what an "iglus" is, but it's no village I've heard of.
I think he meant "igloos".
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Insinuator wrote:
alluton wrote:Infact unit is possible to attack more than once per turn.
How?
There is a tag that you can put in the unit definition file that determines the number of attacks per turn. It is almost always 1, but it could be anything.
You can do this yourself. Make or modify an 8-player map that includes a fire dragon in the recruit list or something. You could also define your own unit type and make it as powerful as you want.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Huh. Ok, my mistake. I've never seen a unit like that, but modifying that attribute could certainly give you an enormously powerful unit.