[interface] Graphs!

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Not_Farts

[interface] Graphs!

Post by Not_Farts »

I remember playing Age of Empires back in the day and at the end of a game you could see all sorts of neat graphs showing all sorts of stats, like this. I think it would be a cool addition to Battle for Wesnoth to be able to see all the statistical information in graphical form not only at the end of the game but also during it. A lot of the data already seems to be there, so I suppose it would just be a matter of making it all into customizable graphs so we can see where exactly things went wrong in a match or where the major turning points were etc.

I know nothing about programming so I'm not sure how difficult this would be to implement but I think it would be pretty rad if it was possible. 8)
alexanderthegre

Re: [interface] Graphs!

Post by alexanderthegre »

Honestly I think that that's what Microsoft/Open/LibreOffice Calc is for. :D
If it could be implemented, though, I think it might be pretty cool.
But exactly what do you want graphed? Damage? %Hits? Number of units on board at any given time? :hmm:
Not_Farts

Post by Not_Farts »

alexanderthegre wrote:Honestly I think that that's what Microsoft/Open/LibreOffice Calc is for. :D
But exactly what do you want graphed? Damage? %Hits? Number of units on board at any given time? :hmm:
I was figuring that there could just be various graphs with all the data that is already tracked in the game. Number of villages, number of units, damage, income, just like how in Age of Empires you could view all the different metrics over time.

Graphs own :geek:
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

I remind the Term Number-Desert.
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
Carasel

Post by Carasel »

I like this idea. I'd been thinking the same thing myself.

I'd actually like to have a go at coding it, if nobody minds. I have some experience with C++, but I've never worked on someone else's project before, so don't know how to go about doing that. Do I just attempt to make it myself, then submit it and hope people like it, or is there some way of getting the idea accepted first?
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Not_Farts wrote:
alexanderthegre wrote:Honestly I think that that's what Microsoft/Open/LibreOffice Calc is for. :D
I was figuring that there could just be various graphs with all the data that is already tracked in the game. Number of villages, number of units, damage, income, just like how in Age of Empires you could view all the different metrics over time.

Graphs own :geek:
I would also be interested in a "total gold value of army" statistic.
Founding Father of Columbia
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Carasel wrote:I've never worked on someone else's project before, so don't know how to go about doing that.
Only an approved developer can add a patch to the main code repository, but you can patch the game on your own system and submit the patch for approval. You may get invited to be a developer if you do that a couple times and your code doesn't break the game. To start with, I would download the source code and just browse it to get familiar with the relevant sections, then make sure you have a working build environment. To submit a patch, you will need to get familiar with svn if you are not already (it manages the revisions coming from multiple developers). If you are serious about contributing, you should also join the wesnoth-dev channel on IRC where you can get advice in real time, and get to know the current active developers.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Carasel

Post by Carasel »

Thanks beetlenaut, I think I'll give it a go.