[mainline] A little change to Dextroux Trait

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
tekelili

[mainline] A little change to Dextroux Trait

Post by tekelili »

I want propose modify dextrous trait from "+1 range damage" to "+1 range damage, -1 xp to level"

My reasons to propose this little change come after analyze traits consistence, balance and flavor. Of course this is just imho:

Balance: I think propose of traits is make units different, but no make one unit better than other. If we consider basic 4 traits "strong", "inteligent", "quick" and "resilent", it becomes impossible compare them in a way that proves one trait is better than other. But I find this not so clear if we compare "dextrous" vs "strong". Both traits are improving damage output, and if we look at elves units (only ones that get this trait in default), we can see that fighter, archer, shaman and scout have same number of both mele and range attacks as total add. This mean elves become their damage output increased in exact same amount with "strong" and "dextrous" traits... but strong also gives +1hp. I agree that there is a difference in range or mele damage... but as you can see from a mathematical point of view is not so clear than one trait isnt better than other. If we add "-1 xp to lvl" I find that disolve doubts.

Flavor: I think give +1 hp to strong trait is a clever idea. This makes that units with basic 4 traits never have same amount of hp if have different traits. There are 6 possible combinations and all of them will give units with different hp amount. Even when this become false for elves (resilent/inteligent have same hp than resilent/dextrous), I think give to dextrous "-1 xp to level" aid traits in this propose of generate a wider range of different stats.

Realism: Well, WINR and this is suposed not be important. Just say that I dont find difficult explain why a dextroux guy could "learn" a little faster than a non dextrous one.

An alternative to this proposal could be "- 3% xp to level" instead "- 1 xp to lvl". This would be necessary just in case normal experience settings (70%) could make irrelevant this bonus in some cases when rounding.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
shadowblack

Re: A little change to Dextroux Trait

Post by shadowblack »

One thing you're overlooking is that (in mainline, at least) a lot of units have no ranged attack (like Orcish Grunts) or very weak ranged attack (like the Loyalist Spearman). Elves can attack such units with no retaliation (or almost no retaliation). Dextrous increases the damage they can do for free.

On the other hand only Dark Adepts don't have melee attacks, so a strong unit is likely to receive some retaliation damage in almost every situation. That makes it a bit less useful most of the time: a 1 HP archer can shoot a Grunt that is 8 XP away from leveling without worry; a 1 HP dwarvish fighter doing the same could - with some luck - result in the Grunt leveling up and fully healing.

So "dextrous" seems fine as it is (to me, at least).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

As I already said, I accept range and mele damage has different behavior. But I amnot only aware range damage can be used to attack with less likely retaliation... I am also aware mele damage is more likely to increase retaliation on defense. Your oponent also has his turn to move, do you know? :wink: In fact a unit can retaliate 6 times in a turn, but only attack once. Most of damage on grunts will come from your fighters defending villages or forest, than from your archers attacking.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Pointless to me. What's -1xp going to get you anyways?
(In fact, having a unit that is about to advance is a distinctive advantage in most cases than a level 2 unit)