[mainline] (%d turns left) use plural forms in translation

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Mountain_King
Translator

[mainline] (%d turns left) use plural forms in translation

Post by Mountain_King »

While going through the wesnoth textdomain .po file I came across the string for "(%d turns left)". Is there a reason that the string doesn't allow usage of the plural forms to change the string based on # of turns left, or is it just an oversight? Assuming it's not an oversight, my idea is that the string in particular could be modified to allow the different plural forms.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: [mainline] (%d turns left) use plural forms in translati

Post by Anonymissimus »

For all who don't understand this, like me, at first: There are languages in which the translation of "turns" in "x turns" depends on what number the x is.

Well, there is apparently a feature request for it since years since wml also doesn't support it. Adding it to lua like in this case or wml would probably require a parallel structure to the usual textdomain/_ stuff. Unless there is/will be a developer with interest for a language that needs this and the power to implement it, it will not be done I guess.
Well, if someone provides a patch I'd have a look.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign