Era: Doubling strikes and health for slightly less luck

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
pinkdwarf

Era: Doubling strikes and health for slightly less luck

Post by pinkdwarf »

First of all, I'm sorry if this has been suggested before. I did find a lot of different kinds of ideas to reduce the luck or to make it go away entirely, but could not find one that applies a method like this.

My idea is very simple but effective: Number of strikes for each attack could be doubled, as well as all max hitpoints and amounts healed. Only problems would be poison and slow, but there is an easy solution that doesn't break balance for them as well: double the damage instead of number of attacks for slowing and poisoning attacks. All of this could be implemented in an era like "Half luck era".

Let's look at adepts for example. Currently, dark adept has a 49% chance to hit 2/2, a 42% chance to hit 1/2 and a 9% chance to miss both (assuming it doesn't die before second attack). This makes them a bit swingy, with 49% chance to make a very powerful attack but 9% to not being able to do anything and be left standing helplessly in front of a melee unit. In an era where my idea was implemented, they would have a 24% chance to hit 4/4, a 41% chance to hit 3/4, a 26% to hit 2/4, a 7,5% chance to hit 1/4 and only a 0,8% chance to hit 0/4 (assuming it doesn't die before 4th attack). This would make them somewhat more predictable and even out the rng to a large (enough) extent.

However, the one unit that I feel needs this mod the most is the tunderer. Does anyone else always feel wrong, whether a thunderer hits or not? After all, they deal high damage or none at all, and it always has a high chance to go either way. Well now they would not be as swingy (although kinda swingy still).

If there isn't an era exactly like this yet, I could try to make it happen, if anyone else is interested. Should be simple enough to do..
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Era: Doubling strikes and health for slightly less luck

Post by zookeeper »

Here's one previous thread about the same idea (although it was directed at mainline).

Anyway, the code for such an era already exists (for the most part):
Spoiler:
It's old code, doesn't affect poison or slow and might or might not still work, but it's a start. In any case, if you're going to use that, I'd suggest not using the name "LessLuck Era" since there's been another completely different era with that name.
pinkdwarf

Re: Era: Doubling strikes and health for slightly less luck

Post by pinkdwarf »

Thanks for pointing out that thread, zookeeper. It seems the guy behind that project had - after some critique - exactly the same ideas I mentioned in my starting post. I think I'll try asking those guys if they still have interest to work on this.

Some critique in the thread that wasn't addressed: High variance strategies would get messed, some units would lose some flavour and units like horseman would become less useful. This is valid critique, and for this reason I'm considering leaving some units at less than 2 times the original number of strikes, as long as the total max damage will be exactly or very close to 2x that it is in default. So I think horsemen could be 20-2 (or 40-2 with charge), grunts 12-3, spearmen's javelin 12-1, assasin's dagger 20-1, elf fighter's bow 6-4, to mention a few exceptions. It seems though, that this would require a lot more work than simply doubling all attacks, but that approach would fail anyway with poison and slow.

Then there is a potential balance problem no one has mentioned: poison (dealing 16) might be stronger, than it is now. This is because it tends to bring units down to 1 hp, and 1 hp units would be much easier and less risky to finish with almost all units' attacks doubled. For this reason, poison might be better balanced at -15 hp.