[interface] Accessing all add-ons in one menu

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
uncleshelby

[interface] Accessing all add-ons in one menu

Post by uncleshelby »

I have noticed that sometimes it is hard to find where the add-ons you have downloaded are accessed. For example, a new player might download an add-ons, and wonder if it it is a campaign, faction, or MP scenario/map. This player then has to open all of those, and find out what it is, and how to access it.

My idea is to make the "Add-ons" menu (the one in the main menu) have a list of add-ons you have downloaded, and if it is a campaign or MP scenario, you can just play it from there, or if it is a faction/era, it gives you instructions on how to use an era.

I realize this is probably very hard to implement, but I thought I should bring it up.
Timshel
monochromatic

Re: Accessing all add-ons in one menu

Post by monochromatic »

Click the 'Delete Add-ons' button (or something similar). It'll give you a list of the ones you have installed. And doesn't it say in the add-on download screen what type of add-on it is?
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

uncleshelby wrote:I realize this is probably very hard to implement, but I thought I should bring it up.
Well, someone had the idea for implementing the Laurel Wreaths overlay on a campaign icon. I don't see how this would be any different. It wouldn't even have to be something artistic. It could just be something like a green button or a yellow star in the upper left hand corner on the add-on campaign list.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

installed-overlay-test.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Often

Post by Often »

I think the OP means AFTER it has been down loaded, at least that's what I get from it.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Yes, I mean after it has been downloaded, and this idea is geared more toward new Wesnoth players. One confusing add-ons is "2p Campaign Battle System". It appears in the campaigns menu, and in the local multiplayer map selection. When I was new to Wesnoth and I tried to download add-ons, I didn't understand what the difference betweeen faction/eras, MP campaigns, maps, etc. was.
Timshel
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

uncleshelby wrote:Yes, I mean after it has been downloaded
Uh, why would there be an overlay on something BEFORE you downloaded it? Obviously the overlay is put on AFTER.

@Shadowmaster: That looks great! Unobtrusive, yet noticeable.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The difference between add-on types should be part of the help system and/or be added to the game manual. Both things can already be done, now if someone would submit a patch with the actual writing...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

I could try to compile it, if the writing is already done, and if it doesn't require a knowledge of anything but WML or HTML.
Timshel