[engine] Geodic Maps

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
DEATH_is_undead

Re: [engine] Geodic Maps

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Insinuator wrote: Why? As has been pointed out, a "faux" limitless map can be created but it would look just like any other map. You CAN NOT (as far as I know) scroll to the edge of any Wesnoth map and wraparound. That's really the biggest point of a spherical/torus map.
[set_menu_item] with a scroll to?
Edit: I know it's not the same, but it is a workaround.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I'm pretty sure he means that when you reach the edge, you actually just keep scrolling and it wraps around to the other side of the map. So you can keep scrolling infinitely in one direction, and keep looping around the map. That can't be done in wesnoth.

And besides, IMHO a right click option would be more of a pain to use than just manually scrolling to the other side, or just clicking on the minimap to scroll there. Too many clicks.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Sorry that I still didn't get to read the replies here. Instead I post some links concerning to that matter. (next fail?)

This remind me to a reply above about "you can't create a sphere from hexagons w/o additional triangles"
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2227/176 ... 0529_b.jpg

Same matter though another game: http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/i ... 54148.html

inspirativ though not pure/regular hexagon sphere: http://www.wrfportal.org/CIRA-Magazine-GIMTool.pdf
if they could use only hexagons they would have done it.

tools for spheres: http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/m_s ... _grid.html

sorry for brief/incomplete reply.. bye
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Shinobody wrote:I'll make myself clear.
If you mean "limitless" like "infinite", then no.
If you mean "limitless" like "practically without borders", so like map would be put on surface of a torus, to allow unit walk by straight from ACTUAL left border to ACTUAL right border, then yes.
Hi! Sorry that I did anspwer so lately/rarely.
Yes, limitless doesn't mean infinite here.
Simple connecting the opposited borders (sorry if my grammar/vocabular hurt ;) would make the world (map) limitless though the Wesnoth-Worlds won't get geodic w/o additional conditions. I think two hexagonal map with linked map borders should do the trick while each hexmap represents a single hemisphere. Flip a hexmap on its backside, put the other on it an lime the borders and blow up this construction - at least similar to a real geodic map.

------
Insinuator wrote: Additionally, in a practical way, the only reason I could see for a map of this type would be one for the whole world. There are extremely limited applications of a world map for Wesnoth. In fact, it borders on the nill.
Net matches would be another.
Last edited by Pentarctagon on August 1st, 2011, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't double post
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

MetalKing wrote:Simple connecting the opposited borders (sorry if my grammar/vocabular hurt ;) would make the world (map) limitless though the Wesnoth-Worlds won't get geodic w/o additional conditions. I think two hexagonal map with linked map borders should do the trick while each hexmap represents a single hemisphere. Flip a hexmap on its backside, put the other on it an lime the borders and blow up this construction - at least similar to a real geodic map.
I'm a little confused by what you're saying here. Are you proposing two maps, one an inverse of the other? That would be technically possible if you just created a very large map and created two hemispheres split with a void in between them. Then you could implement some WML that teleports you on the edge of each map to the other side of its counterpart. That would be interesting but it would be far from seamless and the AI would probably need some "guidance" to use it properly.
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Not a bad idea at all. I figured it could be a dodecahedron. That way the hexes divided by more hexes.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

@GMA in the earlier posts, it was explained that you can't make a real shape using only hex.es without distorting them. At least not in three dimentions.
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

zookeeper wrote:Please first demonstrate if/how that can be mapped to a rectangular hex grid.

Did you get, read and understand my document I made for this and I sent to you?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

MetalKing wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Please first demonstrate if/how that can be mapped to a rectangular hex grid.

Did you get, read and understand my document I made for this and I sent to you?
Well, no. I didn't have anything capable of opening ODF and then I forgot.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

no office? no ms office, open office, koffice, etc? that's really sad. can you open PDF?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

MetalKing wrote:no office? no ms office, open office, koffice, etc? that's really sad. can you open PDF?
Sure.
Max

Post by Max »

still not sure if this is what we're talking about:
infinite.png
would indeed be a nice map option - still a nightmare to implement...
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

@Max: I don't quite understand your map. It just looks like mirror images of the same section. Surely that's not what we're considering a geodic map is...
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Insinuator wrote:@Max: I don't quite understand your map. It just looks like mirror images of the same section. Surely that's not what we're considering a geodic map is...
Check the coordinates.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Max

Post by Max »

Insinuator wrote:@Max: I don't quite understand your map. It just looks like mirror images of the same section. Surely that's not what we're considering a geodic map is...
i created this mockup to show that making maps endless can be done with hexes as long as you're rendering it on a flat surface (and the width is divisible by 2).