[engine] Geodic Maps

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
MetalKing

[engine] Geodic Maps

Post by MetalKing »

Look at this picture and substitute triangles with hexagons (or couple 6 triangles to an hexagon):

This would enable limitless maps/scenarios.

any minds?

MetalKing
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [engine] Geodic Maps

Post by zookeeper »

Please first demonstrate if/how that can be mapped to a rectangular hex grid.
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

working .. on it's probably just large hexagonal map bended in two axis .. and that one is alrady rectangular mapable ;)
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

A clever little invariant known as Euler Characteristic tells you that you can't do this with just hexagons, for a sphere. You could do it on a torus or a Klein bottle, though.
Max

Post by Max »

doesn't really matter - unless you plan to render it on sphere.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

...and how would this even be useful?
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

MetalKing wrote:Look at this picture and substitute triangles with hexagons (or couple 6 triangles to an hexagon):

Why not use the same ability that Silver Mages use on the edge of the map? x=1 and x= whatever the edge of the map is with a moveto event, first_time_only=no.
Edit: took out the big picture in the quote.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

By the way the reason your method of turning that picture into hexagons doesn't work is that while most of the triangles come in groups of 6 around a point, at a few points on the sphere (there should be twelve of them) there will be just 5 triangles around a point.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

So, making a sphere IS impossible. Making it on a torus, it's something other...
But, if you want just map on which after getting to edge (pretty much like in popular Snake game) unit can get to another edge in 1 step, it CABD in WML, like DEATH_is_undead already said (And, IMO, it would make VERY interesting map).
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
boru

Post by boru »

Since most maps in Wesnoth are relatively small, the pattern would be instantly recognizable to the player, like in the old console games that put you at the top of the screen if you walked off the bottom. A globe is impossible but an endless map might be an interesting variation in multiplayer.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I didn't want to post in this silly thread anymore, but since there's false information being tossed around: no, this can't already be done in WML.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

I'll make myself clear.
If you mean "limitless" like "infinite", then no.
If you mean "limitless" like "practically without borders", so like map would be put on surface of a torus, to allow unit walk by straight from ACTUAL left border to ACTUAL right border, then yes.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

zookeeper wrote:I didn't want to post in this silly thread anymore, but since there's false information being tossed around: no, this can't already be done in WML.
You CAN NOT make a sphere map. You CAN make a hex or square map in which you can make the unit teleports to the other side once he steps on the edge. But then you would have to scroll to the other edge of the map each time you want to teleport.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

zookeeper wrote:I didn't want to post in this silly thread anymore, but since there's false information being tossed around: no, this can't already be done in WML.
Not by lining the map edges with [tunnel]s?
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

MetalKing wrote:Look at this picture and substitute triangles with hexagons (or couple 6 triangles to an hexagon):

any minds?
Why? As has been pointed out, a "faux" limitless map can be created but it would look just like any other map. You CAN NOT (as far as I know) scroll to the edge of any Wesnoth map and wraparound. That's really the biggest point of a spherical/torus map.

Additionally, in a practical way, the only reason I could see for a map of this type would be one for the whole world. There are extremely limited applications of a world map for Wesnoth. In fact, it borders on the nill.