Why a "fish" can't hind in a water?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Researcher

Why a "fish" can't hind in a water?

Post by Researcher »

You know that the wose can hind in a forest.
It is logical, because a wose ("big tree") can easily hind between other trees.
And the enemy finds them only if he moves his unit near the forest.

I do not understand, why everyone misses such an obvious idea:
a "fish" (Naga, for example) should be able to easily hind in a water! :wink:
Just like skeleton. "Fish" can move near the bottom of the river, not too fast,
so nobody will be able to notice a "fish" unless someone comes really near to the river.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Why a "fish" can't hind in a water?

Post by zookeeper »

No one has missed the idea, it's just not a good idea from a gameplay point of view.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:augh: Good grief, didn't you read the replies in your other thread?

Pretty much all the same answers apply to this idea as well:
- Avoid realism-based arguments
- Would upset balance
- CABD in WML
- Un-KISS
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Nagas aren't "fish", they can't breathe water, as written in the in-game help.
Mermen can, but the other arguments still apply.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Ceres wrote:Nagas aren't "fish", they can't breathe water, as written in the in-game help.
@Ceres:They can't!!! :shock: Most things I've seen on other games and stuff say the can. :doh:

@Reasercher: You can make your own "fish" faction. A bunch of super powered Mermen and Nagas. :D
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

Ceres wrote:Nagas aren't "fish", they can't breathe water, as written in the in-game help.
After reading through this thread, I decided to read the race descriptions in the game. I always thought that Nagas could breathe underwater, but mermen/mermaids couldn't. :shock:

Having aquatic races with the submerge ability would be pretty overpowered though. Maybe the description for the mermen race should be different, as I don't see why the mermen wouldn't remain unseen through deep waters if they could.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Giraffemonster wrote:
After reading through this thread, I decided to read the race descriptions in the game. I always thought that Nagas could breathe underwater, but mermen/mermaids couldn't. :shock:

Having aquatic races with the submerge ability would be pretty overpowered though. Maybe the description for the mermen race should be different, as I don't see why the mermen wouldn't remain unseen through deep waters if they could.
Of course mermen can breathe underwater(...not to be mean).

Yes, Mermen could just go to the bottom of the river, but their attack would be lower.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

powershot wrote: Of course mermen can breathe underwater(...not to be mean).

Yes, Mermen could just go to the bottom of the river, but their attack would be lower.
Well it just appeared to me that since mermen have humanoid upper bodies, that they would have human respiratory organs as well. I guess that would also apply to nagas though, as they even look more like fish.

And it would still be useful though if the mermen were able to remain unseen in deep water. Maybe not shallow water such as a river, I think that would be more noticeable. If they could submerge in shallow water however, it would make sense that their attack would be lower. Maybe that could be implemented.

IMO, the idea wouldn't work that well. After all, a merman could choose either mobility or concealment in water, and that is what would lead to complications.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Not even mention balance, it would make the game much more complicated for virtually no gain at all. It is un-KISS. Although it certainly CABD, so feel free to make an add-on for that purpose if you really want :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
powershot

Post by powershot »

Giraffemonster wrote:
powershot wrote: Of course mermen can breathe underwater(...not to be mean).

Well it just appeared to me that since mermen have humanoid upper bodies, that they would have human respiratory organs as well. I guess that would also apply to nagas though, as they even look more like fish.

And it would still be useful though if the mermen were able to remain unseen in deep water. Maybe not shallow water such as a river, I think that would be more noticeable. If they could submerge in shallow water however, it would make sense that their attack would be lower. Maybe that could be implemented.

IMO, the idea wouldn't work that well. After all, a merman could choose either mobility or concealment in water, and that is what would lead to complications.
Yeah! :D Make an Add-on. ^_^
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Researcher wrote:You know that the wose can hind in a forest.

so nobody will be able to notice a "fish" unless someone comes really near to the river.
It's HIDE, not HIND. Hind refers to the rear of something.

And as far as your idea goes, what happens when you're fighting other Mermen? Why would they not be able to see you?

@Powershot & Giraffemonster: Naga are serpents. They're identified as that in most lore. Sometimes with multiple heads, sometimes with mystical powers, but serpents. No gills, not fish.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Insinuator wrote:
Researcher wrote:You know that the wose can hind in a forest.

It's HIDE, not HIND. Hind refers to the rear of something.

And as far as your idea goes, what happens when you're fighting other Mermen? Why would they not be able to see you?

@Powershot & Giraffemonster: Naga are serpents. They're identified as that in most lore. Sometimes with multiple heads, sometimes with mystical powers, but serpents. No gills, not fish.
On Secret Saturdays they can go under water. :|
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

You know, you don't have to reply to EVERYTHING. You should re-read what you wrote before posting and ask yourself if what you were gonna say really brings something to the discution. If not, maybe you should refrain yourself...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote::augh: Good grief, didn't you read the replies in your other thread?

- Would upset balance
- CABD in WML
- Un-KISS
Dixie wrote:Not even mention balance, it would make the game much more complicated for virtually no gain at all. It is un-KISS. Although it certainly CABD, so feel free to make an add-on for that purpose if you really want :)
Some people here think that it will make the game "very complicated"... :augh:

Then let the woses lose the ability to hide in a forest! :twisted:
I think it is very complicated, un-KISS, ruining the balance, and nobody understands it! :eng: /sarcasm
powershot

Post by powershot »

Researcher wrote:
Captain_Wrathbow wrote::augh: Good grief, didn't you read the replies in your other thread?

- Would upset balance
- CABD in WML
- Un-KISS
Dixie wrote:Not even mention balance, it would make the game much more complicated for virtually no gain at all. It is un-KISS. Although it certainly CABD, so feel free to make an add-on for that purpose if you really want :)
Some people here think that it will make the game "very complicated"... :augh:

Then let the woses lose the ability to hide in a forest! :twisted:
I think it is very complicated, un-KISS, ruining the balance, and nobody understands it! :eng: /sarcasm
You've got a point. The Wose can regenerate and ambush while the Iron mauler can't, what's up with that. :?
ok bye m8. I'm serious.