Timelimit in MP games

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Should there be a time limit in MP games?

Yes, if the host can adjust the times
76%
No, I want to think about my turns the long I want
24%

Total votes: 33

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Timelimit in MP games

Post by ivanovic »

If there are a lot of players in the multiplayer matches a game can take a very long time. Because of this i think that it should be possible to set a time limit for the turns. For example 2 min. per player und 3seconds extra per unit. But the host of the game should be able to adjust the time.
MadMax

Re: Timelimit in MP games

Post by MadMax »

ivanovic wrote:If there are a lot of players in the multiplayer matches a game can take a very long time. Because of this i think that it should be possible to set a time limit for the turns. For example 2 min. per player und 3seconds extra per unit. But the host of the game should be able to adjust the time.
I'm all for it, as long as this is only the time spent thinking ie. the clock stops during movement and attack.

But what happens if a player goes over his time?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

for example there could pop up a window to tell you the times out and you've got ten seconds to begin your movement and attacks...
if the user does not react, your turn ends.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I don't mind people thinking for a long time, but it is annoying when someone just leaves the game to do something else...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think it would be acceptable if it was off by default.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Dacyn wrote:I don't mind people thinking for a long time, but it is annoying when someone just leaves the game to do something else...
Perhaps some kind of activity monitor? If the guy was thinking, all he would have to do is move the mouse.

pg

Post by pg »

I'd like to see such a feature but I'm not convinced it's really necessary. I think much of the problem is due to the fact people seem to play maps which are much larger than needed. Most of the time spent on these large maps is doing needless micromanagement of moving units to battle. If people played on smaller maps everything would go quicker.
Shade

Yes

Post by Shade »

pg wrote:I'd like to see such a feature but I'm not convinced it's really necessary. I think much of the problem is due to the fact people seem to play maps which are much larger than needed. Most of the time spent on these large maps is doing needless micromanagement of moving units to battle. If people played on smaller maps everything would go quicker.
Yes. I think 1/2 of the battle with size could be solved if the default Random Map size was set to 40 or so, as opposed to 60. That being said, some sort of optional (default to off) timer would be nice. What to to if a player misses his turn? Move to the next player. What I would consider doing for a player who failed to move or attack anything would be to pop up the 'Player Disconnected' box, but with a heading 'Player was inactive' to the Host. That was if one player misses a couple of turns, he could turned over to the AI, or somebody waiting in the Lobby.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

ivanovic wrote:If there are a lot of players in the multiplayer matches a game can take a very long time. Because of this i think that it should be possible to set a time limit for the turns.
MadMax wrote:But what happens if a player goes over his time?
Yes, what happens? Will your multiplayer game become any more interesting if the enemies' turn just ends, and you have an opponent who stops playing because he's been skipped while someone called on the phone? The game is spoilt in that case :roll: - if you'd waited 5 minutes and he came back, the fun could've gone on. Will you wait those three minutes every turn for nothing to happen, while your units take pleasure in slaughtering uncontrolled and passive enemies? I think not. And there is already the option to save and resume later or quit (or both).

I think this isn't a solution at all. I don't play those 20x20 maps in multiplayer, but rather like a 2-3 hour slog on something bigger. It's okay for people to take 10 minute breaks, if I know the person is reliable I will wait patiently. Sometimes teams will have to take time to discuss their strategy. All this is perfectly acceptable, IMO.

Make sure you play with people you know, or that you know it's just a game and it's an achievement when all the players can make it through to the end. :) Play smaller games with those people you don't know first, moving on to bigger games as you realise that they're reliable.

Rhuvaen
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

MadMax wrote:But what happens if a player goes over his time?
Probably the same thing as when a player is disconnected...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think if a player went over their time, their turn would automatically end.

In a real 'blitz' game, I think it'd be fairly common for players to go over their time.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dave wrote:In a real 'blitz' game, I think it'd be fairly common for players to go over their time.
As it would be common for players with slower processors to lose.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dave wrote:In a real 'blitz' game, I think it'd be fairly common for players to go over their time.
As it would be common for players with slower processors to lose.
Yes, which is why IMO blitz games are a bad idea in turn-based games.

Also, if the person had to take a phone call, why couldn't he press a pause key, which would stop the clock and tell the other players that so-and-so paused.

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Chess is a popular turn-based game where many players, all the way up to 'grandmaster' level, play in 'blitz' games.

There would be some advantages to be had through more powerful computers or more bandwidth, but I think these would be relatively small compared to skill. Indeed, it is real-time games that disadvantage players with low performance machines and low bandwidth much more than Wesnoth would.

But, of course, players could simply choose not to participate in such games.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Dave wrote:Indeed, it is real-time games that disadvantage players with low performance machines and low bandwidth much more than Wesnoth would.
It may take quite a while to move a lot of units without Accelerated Speed on. In real time, not time spent thinking.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.