[forum] A question about an FPI

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Post Reply
User avatar
A Guy
Posts: 790
Joined: May 24th, 2008, 1:55 am

[forum] A question about an FPI

Post by A Guy »

Pardon me if it is against the rules to question the FPI list in any way. However, there was one thing that I thought about in it.
FPI list wrote:24. There should be an ability that cancels out Poison/Magic/Drain/etc.
Result: The developers feel that this would lead to an 'arms race' where eg. "Immunity to Poison" would result in the creation of "Super Poison that even effects the Immune", "Immunity to even Super-Poison" etc. resulting in 'levels' of abilities. The developers feel that this would add an unwanted complexity to the game.
The logic behind the reasoning given against this FPI, however, seems to fall for the slippery slope fallacy. It states that asking for the ability to make abilities that directly provide immunity without needing to resort to WML trickery will lead to people asking for things that trump this ability, and so on an so forth - it is assuming that one action will snowball into other actions that go in the same general direction. As I mentioned before, this is a fallacious argument.

Is questioning this against the rules? If so, please lock this thread.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
User avatar
Gambit
Loose Screw
Posts: 3266
Joined: August 13th, 2008, 3:00 pm
Location: Dynamica
Contact:

Re: A question about an FPI

Post by Gambit »

I think the difference is that (I assume) you're asking for an ability as in a type ability WML tag. Whereas the frequent proposers of that idea wanted a unit in game with an ability like that.
User avatar
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2176
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 4:03 am
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by Ken_Oh »

A Guy wrote:The logic behind the reasoning given against this FPI, however, seems to fall for the slippery slope fallacy.
It isn't the slippery slope fallacy that the devs are worried about. They just don't want multiple depths of abilities/anti-abilities for mainline anymore than there already is.
User avatar
johndh
Posts: 591
Joined: June 6th, 2010, 4:03 am
Location: Music City

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by johndh »

For what it's worth, undead and mechanical units are already immune to poison, and I've yet to see someone asking for super-poison affecting those.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
User avatar
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2176
Joined: February 6th, 2006, 4:03 am
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by Ken_Oh »

The devs realize this. That's what I meant by "anymore than there already is."

Honestly, I think this FPI rule isn't as important as just saying "mainline isn't going to change much."
User avatar
bumbadadabum
Developer
Posts: 1005
Joined: March 20th, 2008, 5:54 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by bumbadadabum »

johndh wrote:For what it's worth, undead and mechanical units are already immune to poison, and I've yet to see someone asking for super-poison affecting those.
Yeah, a (corrosion?) special would be nice for UMC. Maybe also a immune trait, that protects against potion, but not plague or drain, etc.
styles1005
Posts: 179
Joined: December 21st, 2009, 12:10 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by styles1005 »

johndh wrote:For what it's worth, undead and mechanical units are already immune to poison, and I've yet to see someone asking for super-poison affecting those.
Actually, that's not true. I've seen at least one UMC that planned to have a "mold" weapon special, which was poison which affected the undead.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
User avatar
Gambit
Loose Screw
Posts: 3266
Joined: August 13th, 2008, 3:00 pm
Location: Dynamica
Contact:

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by Gambit »

Entirely unrelated posts are entirely unrelated.
User avatar
A Guy
Posts: 790
Joined: May 24th, 2008, 1:55 am

Re: [forum] A question about an FPI

Post by A Guy »

Gambit wrote:I think the difference is that (I assume) you're asking for an ability as in a type ability WML tag. Whereas the frequent proposers of that idea wanted a unit in game with an ability like that.
Ah, I see your point. I wanted to suggest such a thing a while ago, but I remembered the FPI. I was never a fan of the logic behind it, but I decided to bring it up because I had a little time and decided to finally get this out of the way.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Post Reply