idea: Howto (Tutorial) Video

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
norbert

idea: Howto (Tutorial) Video

Post by norbert »

How useful would a howto (tutorial) video be?

Here's what I have in mind. It will show the replay of a single match. A mouse cursor will point out things during the replay, and a voice will comment on good/bad moves and - if applicable - explain what better alternative moves were available.

Some beginning players are visually/auditorily oriented. The video would not be a replacement for the interactive/kinesthetic (in-game tutorial campaign) and textual (Wiki, in-game help) guides, but an additional source of information.

A 2vs2 match with at least one chaotic and one loyal faction. Four pragmatic player names (player1, player2...). One player will deliberately play as a beginner. The replay will be posted in this thead with some initial comments about moves (e.g. turn x, player y, about move z: ...). Then everyone who wants to help could give their feedback, about what they believe are good/bad moves during the match and why. The comments everyone agrees on could be used in the video; people will be credited.

Topics covered could be statistics, turn information, damage/attacks, terrain def. %, melee/ranged, lawful/chaotic/time of day, experience modifier, resistances, abilities, traits, weapon specials, factions, and so on. How to use healers and how not to, when to retreat (wounded/weak) units, what leadership does, and so on.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: idea: Howto (Tutorial) Video

Post by Iris »

Is that supposed to be part of the game (using a modified replay system), or a resource available in the Internet? If the latter, who'll make the video? If the first, what about localization of the voice-over?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I am assumeing that it is something like an online video.

That sounds like it would be an improved version of what I do for people who post replays online for analysis.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
norbert

Post by norbert »

shadowmaster wrote:Is that supposed to be part of the game (using a modified replay system), or a resource available in the Internet? If the latter, who'll make the video? If the first, what about localization of the voice-over?
What I have in mind is downloadable content; an on-line video. After the usable comments have been collected and put in the right order, I or someone else could read out and record them. Then I or someone else could listen to the audio and use a desktop recorder to point out things, and execute a side's turn now and then (via the keyboard, by adding a hotkey for "Next Side"). A subtitle pack could be added later, maybe in the SubRip format, since YouTube also supports that. That's what I had in mind, but localization of the voice-over sounds interesting.
Velensk wrote:That sounds like it would be an improved version of what I do for people who post replays online for analysis.
Yes. Analysis of replays posted by forum users would still be (very) valuable though, so a video would be in addition to that; not a replacement for it. Unless someone clearly doesn't understand the basics, I guess.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

norbert wrote: What I have in mind is downloadable content; an on-line video. After the usable comments have been collected and put in the right order, I or someone else could read out and record them. Then I or someone else could listen to the audio and use a desktop recorder to point out things, and execute a side's turn now and then (via the keyboard, by adding a hotkey for "Next Side").
I know this is purely theorical at this point, but wouldn't it be better if you (or someone) recorded the moves with the desktop recoder thing first (he would have the text, of course), and the voice afterwards? To me, it looks like it would be easier to time the audio with the stuff the video has to go through than the other way around. I'd hate to be the guy doing the video and having to race against the game to be timed with the voice-over.

About localized voice: I don't know. In theory, that could open an interesting alley, but you'd have to go to those locations. What if someone misses the lone bat doing something good/bad over the villages, in the back, and never hears the audio advice? Unless all locations were listed in a menu somehow and you could mentally check which ones you've heard and etc.? But still... :hmm:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Neat idea. Personally I'm more of the kinesthetic-learner type, but I bet this would be very helpful to a lot of people.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The online video idea is a good one, and practical with technologies already at hand.

I must admit, I also like the idea of a replay system that could support the addition of markers, highlighting and running commentary (perhaps even in voice-over form); being able to provide narration and highlight key elements would make for easy-to-generate instructional content for Wesnoth. When someone had a question on a scenario, you could take one of your replays, add narration, and show what you were talking about. Similarly, someone looking for multiplayer feedback could upload their replay (perhaps with their own thoughts included) and get it back with narration from experts who could highlight smart moves and mistakes.

Of course, that would take a lot of coding work to implement. The current suggestion is immediately feasible and thus more useful.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
norbert

Post by norbert »

I've been thinking about what map to use and what factions.
Here's what I came up with; tell me what you think...

Four players in a 2vs2 match: not too many sides, but still requires team play. Factions not included are the Drakes and Northerners, because their abilities and weapon specials can also be found in other factions.

The four leaders: Elvish Marksman (Rebels; because of marksman), Necrophage (Undead, because of feeding), Lieutenant (Loyalists; because of leadership), and Rogue (Knalgan Alliance; nothing unique, but already covers skirmisher and backstab).

As for the map: how about Morituri. It's a mainline map, small, has water sections and hills/mountains near forest ground. Rebels/Undead could fight Knalgan Alliance/Loyalists, to make time of day relevant, and terrain use. Not sure what experience modifier should be used.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Depends on what exactly the purpose of this is. If it is to teach the basics of play then I think you're looking at the wrong priorities. If it is to help people who already know the game rules to grasp some of the more subtle aspects then you arn't going to need to cover individual special abilities.

What I believe a general tutorial should cover:
Rules for recruiting (including the ability to move your leader between keeps)
Importance of village control
How terrain defense works
How to find out what special abilities do
How to check resistances
Basic combat mechanics (strikes and damage/ranges/common damage modfiers)
Then spend a bit of time demonstrating the importance of defense and ToD and a few special abilities.
EDIT: At some point take the time to explain ZoC.

For this purpose I think that just a strait forward loyalists vs northerners on meteor lake would be sufficent. It wouldn't even have to be between great players. You do not want to try to teach too much at once it is best to teach them enough to start figuring stuff out.

On the other hand if you are looking for the latter then any game between good players playing well would have things worth pointing out. If you are thinking of something else then you should tailor what you're looking for to whatever your objective is.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
norbert

Post by norbert »

Velensk wrote:Depends on what exactly the purpose of this is.
If possible, I'd like to cover more topics than those you listed. The same replay could be shown multiple times, each time covering a different topic, starting with the basics and working up to more advanced areas. While weapon specials have no priority, I would like to cover almost all of them. From general (that they exist; how to find out what they do) to specific (what they do). A lot will depend on what those who'll comment on the replay think is important to mention. Hopefully you'll put in your two cents (or more :P).
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Seems to me like it would be better to use multiple replays than the same replay over and over again. For general tutorial purposes you do not want to overload the viewer with too much information but you could provide them with less general tutorials in addition.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Velensk wrote:Seems to me like it would be better to use multiple replays than the same replay over and over again.
Agreed.

While for pedagogical purposes, it does make a lot of sense to use the same replay and highlight increasingly sophisticated aspects of it, there's a risk that the viewer will find this boring. To hold the attention of as wide an audience as possible, using variety and novelty is probably the best bet.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I think it would be nice if someone made a video tutorial of the new whiteboarding system.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."