Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
tyler

Post by tyler »

I'm wondering how many people on here use Skype. I'm also wondering if anybody would like to get a massive Skype VoIP conversation going during a game. I think it would be awesome and would help strengthen Wesnoth's social aspect.

Webcams maybe?
norbert

Re: Skype: Do you have it? Would you use VoIP in game?

Post by norbert »

tyler wrote:I'm also wondering if anybody would like to get a massive Skype VoIP conversation going during a game. I think it would be awesome and would help strengthen Wesnoth's social aspect.
Skype is proprietary freeware though, so maybe another application would be more suitable. Mumble, for example, is BSD/GPL software that runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Like Wesnoth, it is written in C++. It allows positional audio, which means people's voices could come from their keep locations. Its conference peers maximum is limited only by server bandwidth (and memory). Of course, several other applications could be used. I'm in for giving Mumble and possibly other applications a try, maybe we could meet on IRC (#wesnoth@freenode) first and discuss it further there?
tyler

Post by tyler »

Sorry, I was keeping software preferences in mind when I mentioned Skype. It was just the first cross-platform VoIP client that came to mind. It also offers video conferencing so that's cool.

I just use Skype because I know other people who use Skype.

I guess Mumble or some other open-source software could be used. I'm about to go somewhere so I will have to take a rain check for the IRC conversation. Thanks for asking though.

I think a voice conference would add more depth to the game. It sure would make team game interesting since planning moves wouldn't require a massive amount of typing.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Voice chat could be of use, as long as the additional strain on the server wouldn't cause issues. Moved to Ideas. It might also be of use to post a feature request.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
tyler

Post by tyler »

Thanks for moving it.

I'm kind of new to forum etiquette since I don't frequent well... any.

I heard from Mythological that the idea was proposed and shot down a while ago.

Perhaps I am mistaken.

I was thinking of just using a second application, but integration into Wesnoth would be great.

Probably hard work though.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Just using a second application would be up to the users ;) you're eminently welcome just to organise that yourself.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

tyler wrote:I'm also wondering if anybody would like to get a massive Skype VoIP conversation going during a game. I think it would be awesome and would help strengthen Wesnoth's social aspect.
Not me. I'm too shy to speak over a telephone/microphone/computer. :oops: :wink:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Even if my say has really minimal impact on the final decision, I'm not a big fan of voice-chat (or telephone, for that matter) either. I much prefer standard chat. And this is not considering accents and difficulty with english, since the community is pretty much international and not everybody is fluent with english. (although as I understand it, even if voicechat became an option, it surely wouldn't kick standard chat out, and anybody could probably refuse to use it). I also tend to put the game on mute when I play, either to listen to my own music, or because my gf doesn't particularly enjoy hearing a game's music and sound effects when she's doing some other stuff close by, and I don,t always feel like having headphones. So voicechat would go against both those, and worse yet, when I want to actually hear the music, I can put headphones: I can't really do that much for speaking in a mic.

Anyway, feel free to actually play with an external voicechat application with others who enjoy it, if you like :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
tyler

Post by tyler »

Not me. I'm too shy to speak over a telephone/microphone/computer.
I'm not a big fan of voice-chat
Yeah, that's part of the reason why I didn't put in a feature request - I can't see it being that popular.

Although, It would be nice to try out as an experiment with Skype/Mumble/<insert VoIP application here>
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Think of all those observers chattering... :P
I will now resume lurking silently.
tyler

Post by tyler »

:mute -v <nick> :)

Also, it could be customizable. Like, just enable it so you could hear your team mate.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I think it would not be useful to integrate this in Wesnoth - Wesnoth is already big enough, and using an external program is all that is necessary.
What may be useful from the Wesnoth-side, would be to provide a way of giving position information (relative position of leaders, of keeps, etc.) to these external applications.