Dark Sustainer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
bill_murray

Dark Sustainer

Post by bill_murray »

Dark sustainer is going to be the undead healer, isn't it?

I've seen this in deviantart, It looks awesome, so i thought in a dark sustainer.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/10228103/

What do you think? An evil entity with a red aura of death, restoring vitality to undead units :twisted:
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Well, it's called the red death and looks like it. Nice graphic, but not quite appropriate.

What we need is a live necromancer who overhauls undead and patches them up so that they're good for further use (thus saving on presumably expensive necromantic energies). The concepts can be found in the relevant Dark Adept upgrade threads.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

don't see why the undead need a healer. lots of their units are either disposable or have drain. And it's a distictive of the undead that the leader doesn't care enough about his minions to heal them. Lets keep the factions distinct.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Eleazar wrote:don't see why the undead need a healer. lots of their units are either disposable or have drain. And it's a distictive of the undead that the leader doesn't care enough about his minions to heal them. Lets keep the factions distinct.
Agreed.

Undead with healing would only increase EP's effectiveness with undead. and they are already probably the best faction when played correctly. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

turin wrote:
Eleazar wrote:don't see why the undead need a healer. lots of their units are either disposable or have drain. And it's a distictive of the undead that the leader doesn't care enough about his minions to heal them. Lets keep the factions distinct.
Agreed.

Undead with healing would only increase EP's effectiveness with undead. and they are already probably the best faction when played correctly. ;)
Dark sustainer is a level 2 or level 3 unit, you have to upgrade a dark adept a few times to get it. Hey remember doom2, there was a mage that raises dead bodies and make you burst :)
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

The leader may not care about his minions, but he would certainly know a good deal when he sees one. Repairing existing units is more cost-effective than buying new ones; it's free. That's the justification for why an undead unit would do this.

As for making them more powerful, all you have to do is raise the cost per unit. Most systems that allow you to choose units also have associated point costs which allow balancing. I don't know why we don't just balance all units using gold cost and xp required to level. These two things alone could probably balance most units instead of tweaking properties etc which we can't analyze so easily.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

autolycus wrote:The leader may not care about his minions, but he would certainly know a good deal when he sees one. Repairing existing units is more cost-effective than buying new ones; it's free. That's the justification for why an undead unit would do this.

As for making them more powerful, all you have to do is raise the cost per unit. Most systems that allow you to choose units also have associated point costs which allow balancing. I don't know why we don't just balance all units using gold cost and xp required to level. These two things alone could probably balance most units instead of tweaking properties etc which we can't analyze so easily.
I agree with you, raise bats to 16 NOW :twisted: raise trolls to 15 NOW :twisted:
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

autolycus wrote:Repairing existing units is more cost-effective than buying new ones; it's free. That's the justification for why an undead unit would do this.
Not when you're already starting from recycled material :lol:. There are only so many times a dead warrior will stand up to fight again... (those dead bodies just don't have a natural capacity for healing, you know)
As for making them more powerful, all you have to do is raise the cost per unit.
We could actually have much more factions if we kept all the stats identical and just changed unit names and graphics. :P Balance? Not a problem...
Truly, why change a faction that is consistent and has it's very own theme and strategy into something that will more resemble the run of the mill?

Just my opinion.

Rhuvaen
cyrus

Post by cyrus »

I also think a Healer for the Undead would make the undead less individual.
Bander

Post by Bander »

We should stay away from giving the undead healing, and give them a souped up version of plauge instead. I think that there is already a thread discussing this, Under "Anther Random Thread With Extra Zombies"
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Bander wrote:We should stay away from giving the undead healing, and give them a souped up version of plauge instead. I think that there is already a thread discussing this, Under "Anther Random Thread With Extra Zombies"
See 'Plague Changes' in Developers' Discussions.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.